• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Did anyone tell him he'll be playing in USL3.....???  If most of us think CPL will be roughly USL quality, why take a step down to whatever this USL 3 is going to be (playing against the chattahoochee chuggeers and the gang from the local applebees)??  Maybe promises have been made about future MLS shots??  

Looks like Hasler traded to Chicago for forward Bakero and 50k of TAM..at first look doesn't look good..lost a quality player and Bakero's been a backup..maybe could do better than Hamilton or Ricketts to be seen..or maybe preparing another move

12 minutes ago, Big_M said:

Looks like Hasler traded to Chicago for forward Bakero and 50k of TAM..at first look doesn't look good..lost a quality player and Bakero's been a backup..maybe could do better than Hamilton or Ricketts to be seen..or maybe preparing another move

Booo

50,000 GAM is chump change, and they are both internationals, hmmmm.  Resign Hundal and trade for a 21 year old first rounder, why not a defender??? Although he did win the Herman trophy.  I thought the knock on him was that although being technically good, with nose for goal, he was SLOOOOOWWWWWW. 

Maybe the apple doesnt fall far from the tree, UT will be able to tell us all about his famous dad at Barcelona. 

The Globe and TSN are both posting a Canadian Press report that Altidore could return for this weekend's Chicago match. That would be great for the team but not so great for Jordan Hamilton's playing time, moving forward.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/soccer/article-toronto-fc-star-jozy-altidore-could-return-in-chicago-this-weekend/

https://www.tsn.ca/tfc-star-altidore-could-return-in-chicago-this-weekend-1.1144159

On 7/20/2018 at 1:41 PM, Bison44 said:

50,000 GAM is chump change, and they are both internationals, hmmmm.  Resign Hundal and trade for a 21 year old first rounder, why not a defender??? Although he did win the Herman trophy.  I thought the knock on him was that although being technically good, with nose for goal, he was SLOOOOOWWWWWW. 

Maybe the apple doesnt fall far from the tree, UT will be able to tell us all about his famous dad at Barcelona. 

Nicely cued. What I think is to his dad's merit is that he convinced his kid to get an education, which virtually no Spanish footballer has. And he made the soccer deal through NCAA, which no Spaniard thinks has any merit at all. And it worked, the kid shone through and has taken a long way to professional status. So all power to both of them for that. Jon has yet to show anything at Fire, so he's a promise, but he does have a good pedigree and should have football nous.

Jose Mari was a tough  Barcelona and Spain mid with leadership, not overly flashy, people went nuts watching him pass backwards always. He has been very unsuccessful as a coach, and youth players speak badly about him. So there you go.

How the hell us Delgado still playing.  Last year I begrudgingly acknowledged that he deserved time over Osorio and Chapman, but this year he has been absolute shite.  

Team does look much more in control tonight with the return of Mavinga, VDW and Jozy. 1-0 in the 54 th.  

That was one of Delgado's better games on the season though - ok, not saying much and it still wasn't very good (apparently he gave the ball away 16 times in this game and I found many of those were in bad spots), but at least an improvement.

12 goals now for Osorio in all competitions this year, and still only July.....

Nice to see Edwards get some of his groove back, even if it was for the team playing against TFC. He really should have had assists two on the night.

On 7/21/2018 at 9:56 PM, Club Linesman said:

Delgado made a great pass on the goal but in the vast majority of games he is a turnover machine.  He will be no where near the USMNT with play like this.  Most of the time he is sub par and he hurts TFC this year when he is on the pitch.

Seriously was watching with a few friends and said the exact same thing.  The fact the Americans are excited about him doesn’t bode well for their future - he’s like a Teibert where he doesn’t really fit to any position but could be a decent utility guy.

Solid win over Ottawa by our TFC “2” team tonight.  Boys controlled the play and Ottawa didn’t have a sniff really at net. Osorio with a beauty and Hamilton and quasi Canadian Ayokinola with his first professional goal.  Finished with 6 Canadians, started with 3.  Saved the vast majority of the starters for Saturday and the last gasp push for the playoffs.  Need a huge win vs Chicago!  

55 minutes ago, Club Linesman said:

Solid win over Ottawa by our TFC “2” team tonight.  Boys controlled the play and Ottawa didn’t have a sniff really at net. Osorio with a beauty and Hamilton and quasi Canadian Ayokinola with his first professional goal.  Finished with 6 Canadians, started with 3.  Saved the vast majority of the starters for Saturday and the last gasp push for the playoffs.  Need a huge win vs Chicago!  

Based on what I saw tonight, I wouldn't be surprised if Akinola ends up becoming fully Canadian as far as national team play is concerned. He did score and yes he's only 18 but overall I think think he passed or controlled or held up the ball particularly well, or at least well enough to scream "Future US national teamer" if we are to believe that the US is stocked with a bunch of "can't miss" prospects at the same age, as we are often told. But overall too early to tell.

The MLS website is currently trolling Canadian TFC fans by claiming that Delgado got the third goal and gave Akinola man of the match (I would have gone for Liam Fraser).

21 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

Interesting - this article from Neil Davidson has Vanney claiming that the CSA - and presumably Herdman - have not shown enough interest in Akinola:

https://www.tsn.ca/tfc-dispatches-fury-fc-advances-to-canadian-championship-final-1.1148200

I haven’t watched much of him other than a couple games with the US and TFCII but would I put Reid ahead of Akinola at this point. 

8 hours ago, BuzzAndSting said:

I haven’t watched much of him other than a couple games with the US and TFCII but would I put Reid ahead of Akinola at this point. 

Watched them both live last night - and its only one game - but I thought Akinola looked better.  I was looking forward to watching Reid, but he really didn't do much at all.

9 hours ago, Gian-Luca said:

Interesting - this article from Neil Davidson has Vanney claiming that the CSA - and presumably Herdman - have not shown enough interest in Akinola:

https://www.tsn.ca/tfc-dispatches-fury-fc-advances-to-canadian-championship-final-1.1148200

He’s playing a fair bit for the US team.  The CSA is probably not spending time on what it considers a lost cause. 

9 hours ago, Gian-Luca said:

Yea I don’t buy that at all, that’s just Vanney covering his ass... wasn’t he the one who alerted his scout buddy with the US to him? 

When would we have even had a chance to call him up?  He was with the US u17s last year... did he expect a senior call?  We haven’t had youth camps.  At the end of the day I have no problem whatsoever if we tell him to take a hike for this u20 cycle - Millar, Davies, David are for sure ahead based on their play.. then even guys like Reid, Tabla (maybe), Bair, Hundal deserve a shot too?  Hundal must be a lock after he was on the last team, same with Millar and Davies.  

Would we feel good cutting a guy like Reid for Akinola?  When the former has out performed Akinola in USL this season?

59 minutes ago, Keegan said:

At the end of the day I have no problem whatsoever if we tell him to take a hike for this u20 cycle - Millar, Davies, David are for sure ahead based on their play.. then even guys like Reid, Tabla (maybe), Bair, Hundal deserve a shot too?  Hundal must be a lock after he was on the last team, same with Millar and Davies.  

Would we feel good cutting a guy like Reid for Akinola?  When the former has out performed Akinola in USL this season?

We are not yet at the point where we can turn down good players that decide to play for us. The last time we made the U20 world cup was what? 11 years ago? If he decided he wanted to play for Canada he would have to file his one time switch and at that point he would be locked in.

No, I wouldn't automatically take him into qualifying, but if he showed up to a camp prior to qualifying and earned his way onto the team why not?

Archived