• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

On the bright side for TFC a much needed point against the best team in the league.  Osorio very composed on the final goal and Ricketts makes his pass count.  Thought the penalty was a little weak against Bono and Bono made some huge saves for his best outing in awhile. The drive to the playoffs is alive!  When we have everyone back for a few games I expect we will be extremely hard to beat.  Just worried about the number of games in a condensed period.  Oh and Mavinga’s idiotic red card when the game was over.  

32 minutes ago, Keegan said:

What an embarrassment this league is.. 5 minutes added and the ref blows after 4 minutes even though there was a goal in stoppage time as well!  Sometimes you wonder..

I thought "the ref blows" was an accurate description of his performance throughout the entire match, not just after 4 minutes of injury time.

Nice to see Ricketts get back on the score sheet.

One thing we discovered today, Telfer also has a right foot.

Typical referreeing to benefit the home side. What did Bono do wrong on the play where the PK was awarded?   When i watch TFC, i dont have the benefit of sound so when i saw that play I just assumed the foul occurred on another play in the box.   I was shocked to read after the game that the foul was given to bono.   For what?  For doing the play you are supposed to do,  clear the ball.  Martinez ran into him after he cleared the ball with his hands.   Incredibly,  they might have gone to VAR for that. 

Worst still,  the writeup on the game and the match highlights with espn feed they suggest that that was a full legit foul.  I know that rightholders never criticize the refs.  But come on!  

Anyways, thats why it hard to win on the road in soccer.  Its the referees calls that make a differnce in those 50-50 situations.    There were many in that game.  That ultimately affects a teams ability to establish possession and momentum.  Basically, when there are some 50k fans in the stadium,  the referee become biased for the home side.  This is why its important to have a strong and vocal home support.  Lessons for Canada and the CSA in Concacaf play. 

this was a good game for TFC.  I am confident that they are back.  That would have been a win for TFC were the game played at a neutral site or on home grounds. 

ps.:  the last time i posted a comment on refereeing in mls.  It was ironically after the whitecaps game IN ATLANTA earlier this year.   The whitecaps in that got royally jobbed by biased refereeing in favour of altanta. Whereby an even more bogus pk was awarded to atlanta. 

Considering Atlanta were gifted a penalty that was a good point.

Why the fuck do you not even look at the replay? VAR is so inconsistent and has been screwing us over so much this season. I remember it being used against us to call off a goal for outside (after taking a few minutes to check, aka not clear and obvious) and a few times where it should have been used to help us, they don't use it. I think that Seattle game had a bullshit offside goal that wasn't checked.

I especially liked how Martinez arched up and threw his head back, long after he ran into Bono......brutal.  Nice to see Rickets get off the bench...just a typical day for him..havnt played in weeks, run on and score the big goal.  Ho hum....

5 hours ago, Free kick said:

Typical referreeing to benefit the home side. ...

Anyways, thats why it hard to win on the road in soccer.  

Just want to say, to be fair, that the ref called everything the Caps' way in the last 30 minutes at Yankee Stadium today, he did not miss one, and he was carding every tactical or slightly hard foul by NYCFC as they tried to hold onto the lead. I thought he did just what he was supposed to do, he was objective and did not screw the visiting side from grabbing the equalizer. 

I also think, having watched it a number of times, that the penalty against TFC could be called and that VAR did not clearly show it was not a penalty. And I have grown to really frigging dislike Atlanta, their fans are pretty "dumbshit" from what I can gather (like at Orlando) and wanted to TFC to win as I normally do, just trying to read it as I saw it.

Bono gets the ball, Martinez runs into Bono's body/leg first, then flops over him.  This wasnt a clear case of the keeper diving at the players legs, he went down played the ball and Martinzez knew exactly what he was doing, the ball had been batted away and he flung himself.  I think he got his dives mixed up, it looked like the " someones tuggin on my jersey" flop.  Watch the reply from behind the goal, it would have been funny if not for the outcome...should have been reviewed at least.  

Glad I'm not the only one. I thought it was clear as day he palmed the ball away. Absolute madness the foul got called looking like a classic save. I could only think he may have made contact with the player slightly ahead but there is no way of saving it otherwise, which imo he fairly did. 

Couldn't believe the pundits didn't mention the save. Did he infact not save it? Looked clear to me on every replay.

Great saves by Bono, especially that second half breakaway.  He clearly got robbed on the penalty call.  Giovinco's pass to Osorio was superb and he was unlucky to have his curler go off the bar with Guzan beaten.  You can say what you want about his season overall, but the little Italian has that "it" factor to change a game.

Vazquez needs to step it up a few notches to take the pressure off of Giovinco.  He still looks off the pace.

39 minutes ago, jonovision said:

I know Atlanta is a fast team, but Bradley seemed a step or two behind even more often than I would have expected yesterday.

Gotta give Atlanta's defensive midfield credit in that department.  They close down really quickly in packs and then counterattack in a hurry once they get the ball back.  That second half breakaway save by Bono originally resulted from Osorio getting closed down and stripped by two or three guys just  outside of the Atlanta penalty area.

On the other hand, Bradley's odometer has logged a lot of miles and you'd have to think that the wear and tear is catching up with him.

Atlanta has been awarded 12 penalty kicks by the refs this year.   This is double the next highest in league (RSL And TFC have been awarded 6).  

6 - RSL, TFC

5 - Col, Orl, Philly

4 - Dal, New Eng, NyCFC, Port, San Jo, SKC, Van

3 - Chi, Mtl, Sea.

2 - DCU, Hou, LAFC, NYRB

1 - LA Gal, Minn

Yet the only two Atlanta pks, that i saw this year, left me totally confused about how that call could have been made. 

It looks like a statistical normal distribution.  Except for Atlanta.

3 hours ago, BearcatSA said:

Great saves by Bono, especially that second half breakaway.  He clearly got robbed on the penalty call.  Giovinco's pass to Osorio was superb and he was unlucky to have his curler go off the bar with Guzan beaten.  You can say what you want about his season overall, but the little Italian has that "it" factor to change a game.

Vazquez needs to step it up a few notches to take the pressure off of Giovinco.  He still looks off the pace.

Vazquez had a poor game but I do wonder if part of that was a lack of his comfort on the turf coming back from the injury. I can’t recall another game when he was so easily dispossessed of the ball so regularly. He was much better last week. 

7 hours ago, Gian-Luca said:

Vazquez had a poor game but I do wonder if part of that was a lack of his comfort on the turf coming back from the injury. I can’t recall another game when he was so easily dispossessed of the ball so regularly. He was much better last week. 

Turf could be a factor, for sure, but also this is a much better opponent this week, especially in midfield, and playing in friendly home surroundings.  And he wasn't the only one who struggled with this, as jonovision noted about Bradley.  But he needs to be clicking the rest of the way in order to get the most out of their attack.

18 hours ago, Gian-Luca said:

I think it was the turf combined with the pressure being a step up from usual MLS standards.  Atlanta were quick to close down and he was also guilty of holding onto the ball too long a few times.  

It’ll be interesting to see how they manage the voyageurs cup final.

On ‎8‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 3:06 PM, Keegan said:

What an embarrassment this league is.. 5 minutes added and the ref blows after 4 minutes even though there was a goal in stoppage time as well!  Sometimes you wonder..

TSN (or the host broadcaster info) had the stoppage time wrong because it said 4 minutes on the big score board which is within camera view. 

Archived