1 hour ago, BearcatSA said:

At least they have some kind of terms where they have been able to move him (and a team interested in taking him).  They didn't sign him to a deadweight deal that they couldn't shed (Brek Shea's DP contract in Vancouver comes to mind).  I wonder if you can still do what Portland did with Valeri, where they first brought him in on a loan, he paid off big time, and then they signed up outright.

The MLS website is reporting the deal isnt done yet:

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2018/07/10/stejskal-rsl-toronto-looking-offload-alfredo-ortu-o-ager-aketxe

Interesting that RSL also had a bust for a TAM player who played for the same team in Spain as Aketxe

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, Gian-Luca said:

The MLS website is reporting the deal isnt done yet:

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2018/07/10/stejskal-rsl-toronto-looking-offload-alfredo-ortu-o-ager-aketxe

Interesting that RSL also had a bust for a TAM player who played for the same team in Spain as Aketxe

Could be some player agents working with packs or sets of players, who knows.

I mean, there are players who end up in MLS from Spain and I think it makes sense, like Ilie Sánchez at SKC (who is from my neighbourhood in Barcelona, btw), because if you look at his career he was in need of a revival but had the talent. His team Munich 1860 dropped a tier, he was without a club, he could be brought in relatively cheaply, he was hungry. You can take players like that from the top European leagues any day, especially when they will come for modest pay and want to prove something. Vázquez had a chip on his shoulder from a bad Mexico experience. 

I am a bit shocked by how much Aketke gets, that salary has nothing to do with his real market value.

1 hour ago, Gian-Luca said:

Vanney says Aketxe is still with the team and his absence on the most recent road trip was down to Vanney's own decision not to bring him. Perhaps this was to allow him more time to spend the $1.2 million he's earning while his teammates play?

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2018/07/10/toronto-fcs-vanney-mum-aketxe-transfer-rumors-hes-still-team

Vanney is a good spin doctor.

Ridiculous amount of money they were paying him, he won't make half that on even a good team in Spanish 2nd tier, though Cadiz does have money. 

Again, like what happened with De Guzman, MLSE simply is paying too much in some circumstances, well beyond market reality. It makes me wonder if they really have a proper gauge of what the market is for Europe-based players.

Best example of that is Giovinco at over 7M while Quintero at less than 2 gets a hattrick in front of him or Johnny Russell at 700k..theres so many quality players out there available at not such a high salary who would be interested in coming to mls and would have a high impact..Katai at 1.3 is blowing up in Chicago..question is if that impact will last like Wright-Phillips..the Giovinco situation is looking very bad right now..a lot of bad decisions on the field and looks uninterested

Thank goodness, they got rid of some dead weight.  Its one thing when they are paying too much for guys that can play (Bradley, Gio, Altidore etc), it doesnt hurt as much.   But giving giving Aketxe that kind of money when you could put plug any of the other bench guys like Telfer, Fraser, Delgado, Chapman, etc, in and they could get more done is ludicrous.  Glad to see the last of him.  Auro and VDW (the other big newcomers) seem to have come in with better attitudes and acclimated themselves to the MLS game right away.

4 hours ago, Big_M said:

Best example of that is Giovinco at over 7M while Quintero at less than 2 gets a hattrick in front of him or Johnny Russell at 700k..theres so many quality players out there available at not such a high salary who would be interested in coming to mls and would have a high impact..Katai at 1.3 is blowing up in Chicago..question is if that impact will last like Wright-Phillips..the Giovinco situation is looking very bad right now..a lot of bad decisions on the field and looks uninterested

You make it sound like Giovinco hasn't already provided them with MVP performances and Championships for that 7 million. The only thing that looks bad this season in his game is the regular missing of PK's in MLS play (he was 2 for 2 in the CCL and joint leading scorer of the entire competition). He may be slowing down a bit at 31, the league has "figured him out" to some degree after 4 years and he's missed his complimentary top strike partner in league play since March who opens up the sort of space for him that playing Vazquez alongside him (or as a lone striker) does not, but I would be amazed if you could count the number of people who think that TFC signing him at that salary was a bad move on more than one finger.

As for Quintero, while I'm not suggesting he isn't value for his money, he was aided in his hat trick by TFC's back up CB's (who aren't good enough to start next to each other) adopting their own personal CFL rule of allowing at least 5 yards to him at all times instead. With his team 6-11-1 and minus 13 in goal differential it remains to be seen if he'll even be able to lead his team to the playoffs, never mind a Championship.

Signing Aketxe for big money instead of getting a dominant CB was this off season's biggest error. While no one could predict the injuries TFC would suffer, Drew Moor is 34 and was really error prone at the end of last season.

Giving Aketxe a million dollar salary also sends a bad message to other guys like Osorio, that they aren't valued.

9 hours ago, Big_M said:

To be fair, Katai was the only player who actually came to play the other day for the Fire vs. Whitecaps, he was hands down their best player. I mean, not one other really stepped up properly in a consistent way.

I am not saying it is easy, signing quality to give your team a definitive edge, to complement the journeymen. But one of the things that most disgusts me about MLS is the salary discrepancy, the totally senseless way of structuring salaries so that there are no rational tiers, and that players make sums that do not properly correspond to their value to a team. I find it repugnant because it is unethical, you can't have a guy making 100k kicking butt in a defensive function so a guy, however good, has the freedom and space to shine and make 700k or two million, that is appalling.

If you look at clubs in the best leagues (and even more so the best second divisions in the world) not the top world clubs but teams that compete in top Euro divisions, most if not all have salaries that are tiered, with players grouped into these tiers. You have maybe 5-6 levels of orientation. And the tiering is rational, except for the true world superstars, and the kids coming up from the academies, who accept playing for less. You have a guy at 5 million, a veteran striker who is captian, then a couple at 4.2, then a bunch between 2.5 and 3, and so on, it is all balanced and rarely will a player make more than 10 times a teammate, excepting your Cristiano vs. a kid up from the RM academy sort of thing.

At TFC you have a bunch of guys, some even starting and many getting minutes, making 30-35 times less than the best paid on the pitch. Disgusting projection of what it means to be a team and play for one.

Have to agree with Unnamed Trialist.  The teams all play in major North American cities and therefore have major city cost of living expenses.  And they pay some of their players 55,000 per year.

I get that no one is forcing these guys to play and they are "living the dream", but you can't tell me that bumping up the minimum salary is going to bankrupt the league.

14 minutes ago, AvroArrow said:

Have to agree with Unnamed Trialist.  The teams all play in major North American cities and therefore have major city cost of living expenses.  And they pay some of their players 55,000 per year.

I get that no one is forcing these guys to play and they are "living the dream", but you can't tell me that bumping up the minimum salary is going to bankrupt the league.

That part of their business model warrants scrutiny.

Nice article on Hamilton & Fraser (also Akinola, but not sure that it makes sense to refer to him as part of a "Canadian trio" until he switches allegiances to play for us. It's not like you often see Will Johnson referred to as an American in these sorts of articles, for example):

https://www.torontofc.ca/post/2018/07/11/homegrown-canadian-trio-making-key-contributions-toronto-fc

1 hour ago, BearcatSA said:

That part of their business model warrants scrutiny.

Essentially MLS is a multi level marketing scheme.  A big name player takes all the money, which attracts a few lower level players who take a fraction, which combined attracts a bunch of suckers who will play for 55k because they’re on the same field as the guys at the top of the pyramid. 

Strange that I thought Bradley was having one of his better games in a while and had looked to be getting better each of the past 3 matches - and it's in this game that he's finally subbed off.

Giovinco did not have his shooting boots on tonight, that's for sure. I think he hit the net once when he could have had a hattrick. He definitely has to score on that chance Hamilton set him up for in the first half (and Hamilton has to score the open net sitter he whiffed on in the 2nd half). But they shouldn't have to keep scoring at least 2 goals on the road to get a point. Hagglund & Zavaleta continue to struggle next to each other. I know that they are the only 2 healthy central defenders they have (and even Van Der Wiel didn't play tonight) but I don't know how Vanney can say they don't need to sign more players if they can get all of their defenders back. How do you know they won't get injured again when they do get back? Even some of the younger ones like Mavinga have proven to be injury pron

Best Canadian on the night was Chapman IMO - at least until Ricketts came on. Not because Ricketts played great (he didn't) but because it moved Giovinco into central midfield and pushed Chapman out wide. He was excellent when he was in the middle and I think showed where his best position is (and he also should have scored tonight, while we are talking about missed chances).

Overall though I still sense a lack of hunger/mental fatigue with this team which is another problem compounded by having more than half the starters missing game in game out.

Maybe they pulled Bradley because of the upcoming midweek game??  I'm guessing that after tonight we see a very young team against Ottawa.  Part of me wants them to tank the ottawa series, but winning the CDN championship might be the only thing we can hope for this season as the playoffs are looking less likely every day. 

5 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

Maybe they pulled Bradley because of the upcoming midweek game??  I'm guessing that after tonight we see a very young team against Ottawa.  Part of me wants them to tank the ottawa series, but winning the CDN championship might be the only thing we can hope for this season as the playoffs are looking less likely every day. 

Canadian Championship is a must win now otherwise we’re back in 2014.

1 minute ago, Keegan said:

Canadian Championship is a must win now otherwise we’re back in 2014.

Maybe let someone else fight it out and have the crowded schedule, tired and injured players.  If we beat Ottawa (and thats a big IF) our reward is 2 more games in August, and we need more games like a hole in the head.  Just a thought.....

15 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

Maybe let someone else fight it out and have the crowded schedule, tired and injured players.  If we beat Ottawa (and thats a big IF) our reward is 2 more games in August, and we need more games like a hole in the head.  Just a thought.....

Well I think we do need more games because our chances of making the playoffs are done.  We just lost to the worst team in the league in a must-win game.. to expect the team to get back to 2017 form and turn this around is unrealistic at this stage.  

Archived