Always surprised how uncompetitive the USL teams are in the V. Cup since the MLS teams got past their expansion stages. The only tie I can remember being close in recent yearas was the infamous FCE/Impact semi-final where Hanson Boakai went insane and only a dubious penalty saved Montreal.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, Dub Narcotic said:

Always surprised how uncompetitive the USL teams are in the V. Cup since the MLS teams got past their expansion stages. The only tie I can remember being close in recent yearas was the infamous FCE/Impact semi-final where Hanson Boakai went insane and only a dubious penalty saved Montreal.

Ottawa beat the unbeatable TFC last year at home but lost away.  

12 hours ago, Dub Narcotic said:

The following year Edmonton actually allowed a goal in stoppage time to Vancouver that gave the Whitecaps the tie.

23 hours ago, Keegan said:

Ottawa beat the unbeatable TFC last year at home but lost away.  

They beat Tfc 2-1.  TFC did not play many starters, if any, but i remember commenting here that that was terrible result and that it was a real lost opportunity for some of the younger players show what they got.

But getting back to dub narcotics point,  i would concur that these games versus ottawa were poor and its almost entirely because of Ottawa’s lack of quality.  Not just my opinion, but i recall several comments from people in my section last year stating its was by far the poorest team they had seen at BMO.  In the earlier days of this competition, that didnt seem to be the case.  When the usl sides played the MLS side,  granted they bunkered,   but they could show at times that they could compete and show some quality.  There were always a couple of guys on the WC or Impact roster that could make things interesting.  

There were 18-19k announced last night.  For TFC, thats a crappy attendance.   I have always had these games as cant miss but even i am started to wane on that after last year and this year matches versus Ottawa.  Maybe the the current USL is just not at the NASL level or previous incarnation of the USL level.  Or maybe its just Ottawa.  Next year,  even i might take a pass if this same matchup comes up. 

19 hours ago, Free kick said:

They beat Tfc 2-1.  TFC did not play many starters, if any, but i remember commenting here that that was terrible result and that it was a real lost opportunity for some of the younger players show what they got.

But getting back to dub narcotics point,  i would concur that these games versus ottawa were poor and its almost entirely because of Ottawa’s lack of quality.  Not just my opinion, but i recall several comments from people in my section last year stating its was by far the poorest team they had seen at BMO.  In the earlier days of this competition, that didnt seem to be the case.  When the usl sides played the MLS side,  granted they bunkered,   but they could show at times that they could compete and show some quality.  There were always a couple of guys on the WC or Impact roster that could make things interesting.  

There were 18-19k announced last night.  For TFC, thats a crappy attendance.   I have always had these games as cant miss but even i am started to wane on that after last year and this year matches versus Ottawa.  Maybe the the current USL is just not at the NASL level or previous incarnation of the USL level.  Or maybe its just Ottawa.  Next year,  even i might take a pass if this same matchup comes up. 

The FC Edmonton NASL teams that played the Whitecaps a lot weren't any better. They would just show up to BC Place and seem to give up at the first sign of adversity. Colin Miller always seemed to be quietly campaigning for the Whitecaps coaching job which probably didn't help.

3 hours ago, Gian-Luca said:

No Ricketts again for TFC, not even dressed after kept on the bench the past 3 or 4. Transfer in the works?

My guess is that the Hassler trade was to free up some cap space.  The question is:  was it to re-sign players (someone like Osorio) or to bring in someone else?    If Ricketts is moved, that cap space freed up from Hasler and Ricketts is probably for an extra forward or defender.   The tricky part is that one represents a domestic spot, the other an int’l spot. With Akinola now getting minutes i would say it doesnt look good for Rickets. 

Last night's match shows TFC still have that quality to turn teams over in this league when most of the squad is healthy, I fully expect them to make a push for the play offs now, there are lots of points to play for with a bunch of matches at home, if this team squeaks in to the play offs I fancy them to have a good chance of going far!

Agree that TFC would be definitely feared if/when they make the playoffs.  Big worry will be are they healthy enough to play Atl NYFC and two Canadian Championship games in 11 days. Should they sacrifice the league to ensure they advance back to CCL or should they roll the dice with Vancouver and focus on getting 6 points against two top teams and close the gap?  If Vanney figures out a way to do both he will go s long way to redeeming himself for many.  

1 hour ago, Club Linesman said:

Agree that TFC would be definitely feared if/when they make the playoffs.  Big worry will be are they healthy enough to play Atl NYFC and two Canadian Championship games in 11 days. Should they sacrifice the league to ensure they advance back to CCL or should they roll the dice with Vancouver and focus on getting 6 points against two top teams and close the gap?  If Vanney figures out a way to do both he will go s long way to redeeming himself for many.  

Man, I still see them squeaking into the playoffs.  A healthy Mavinga is the key here for me.

Strange.. the attacked people aren’t cooperating and surely this means the tfc fans didn’t attend the match?  Can’t believe 2 months later this is the first time I heard of this. 

So stupid.  To attack innocents and burn someone with a flare should land you some significant time behind bars.

I would be skeptical of this possibly being a scam. There was an incident at the game as reported by local media which I post below. According to police after the incident the guy refused treatment and went to the game, that does not correspond to someone with severe burns shown here. The photo does not show his face. Plus if he has been in hospital for 20 days with multiple skin grafts (which sounds like bullshit too, how many skin grafts can you have in 20 days without waiting for the previous graft to heal) he would have massive hospital bills so why is the GFM capped at 10k? Anyone injured that severely at a match would be a major news story.  https://abc6onyourside.com/news/local/crew-sc-fan-assaulted-en-route-to-match

However, the idiocy of the Inebriatti should not be excused either, they do seem to have been involved in an incident involving attacking opposing fans with flares. In the space of two months they have done this and managed to burn their own banner, flags and drums. No other group in North America that uses pyro has done something like that and they are single handedly ruining things for other groups that use pyro in North America. They are a complete disgrace and should disband out of dishonour. Also it should be mentioned that if you ever read their non stop posting on social media, they do not adhere to the principles of the ultra movement and are not an ultra group. They are just idiots not ultras!

29 minutes ago, Grizzly said:

However, the idiocy of the Inebriatti should not be excused either, they do seem to have been involved in an incident involving attacking opposing fans with flares. In the space of two months they have done this and managed to burn their own banner, flags and drums. No other group in North America that uses pyro has done something like that and they are single handedly ruining things for other groups that use pyro in North America. They are a complete disgrace and should disband out of dishonour. Also it should be mentioned that if you ever read their non stop posting on social media, they do not adhere to the principles of the ultra movement and are not an ultra group. They are just idiots not ultras!

Remember when they smoked our own keeper in a WCQ?

17 minutes ago, BuzzAndSting said:

Remember when they smoked our own keeper in a WCQ?

The list is long. Remember when they thought it was a good idea to make an anti-Montreal blow job banner and ended up offending most of their own fans in their own stadium. I am all for hardcore fans and intense rivalry but these guys are an embarrassment and FAIL seems to be their middle name!

Cq9QZFHWcAAshpS.jpg

Archived