On 8/5/2018 at 1:08 PM, Free kick said:

Atlanta has been awarded 12 penalty kicks by the refs this year.   This is double the next highest in league (RSL And TFC have been awarded 6).  

6 - RSL, TFC

5 - Col, Orl, Philly

4 - Dal, New Eng, NyCFC, Port, San Jo, SKC, Van

3 - Chi, Mtl, Sea.

2 - DCU, Hou, LAFC, NYRB

1 - LA Gal, Minn

Yet the only two Atlanta pks, that i saw this year, left me totally confused about how that call could have been made. 

It looks like a statistical normal distribution.  Except for Atlanta.

Was also wondering how many at home.

If you correlate that with shots taken, which could be an indication of getting close to the box and attacking, the league leaders are, in this order: 

SKC

NYCFC

Atlanta (almost same as previous)

Then a drop off to a group in a close bunch:

LAFC, Crew, Dallas, TFC, Orlando, Houston, RSL

Galaxy and Minnesota, with least penalties here, are tenth and 2nd from last respectively. There is a slight correlation between penalties awarded and attacking play, but it's weak.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 8/5/2018 at 4:27 PM, jpg75 said:

How many of those 12 were awarded at home?

I went through the box scores to count goals, I only got 10, not 12, so maybe I missed some? Or were the 12 penalties including misses? 

Anyway, it was 7H/3A for goals.  (MLS League play)

Also a USOC PK at home.

8 hours ago, paul-collins said:

I went through the box scores to count goals, I only got 10, not 12, so maybe I missed some? Or were the 12 penalties including misses? 

Anyway, it was 7H/3A for goals.  (MLS League play)

Also a USOC PK at home.

Go to the mls players stats page.  Sort first by team.  Then check the column for pk attempted/ pk scored. 

Martinez is 6/7.  Almiron is 4/5.  No one else on the team have taken pks.   So thats a total of 12.

TFC by the way has the worst conversion rate in MLS at 50 percent.

Giovinco 1/4

Altidore 1/1

Vazquez 1/1

16 hours ago, Free kick said:

Go to the mls players stats page.  Sort first by team.  Then check the column for pk attempted/ pk scored. 

Martinez is 6/7.  Almiron is 4/5.  No one else on the team have taken pks.   So thats a total of 12.

Ok, well, I'm not going back through the schedule to figure out where those missed PKs were... so definitely a home/away split.

Did they say anything about Morgan postgame? Was he actually hurt??  Hopefully he and Mavinga arent hurt and Hernandez can just polish the bench for the rest of the year.  He shouldnt see the field again.

Also kind of puzzled by the argentine pick up today, why not a defender??   

10 minutes ago, paul-collins said:

... except shouldn't there have been a card also?

Usually, when you see a red card on a hand ball in the box, its when the hand ball prevents the ball from crossing the goal line.  Like Suarez (Uruguay) versus Ghana at the world cup a few years back.  

Yellow card?   I dont know.  Thats debateable and subjective, like most calls by the ref.  

1 hour ago, Free kick said:

Usually, when you see a red card on a hand ball in the box, its when the hand ball prevents the ball from crossing the goal line.  Like Suarez (Uruguay) versus Ghana at the world cup a few years back.  

Yellow card?   I dont know.  Thats debateable and subjective, like most calls by the ref.  

Yes, reading the law #12, you have to determine that redirecting the ball was DOGSO in order to award a yellow.  It was a good GSO but not an obvious goal, so I guess that's the argument. 

And you're right that the red for handling is only if it actually stops the shot.

On 8/9/2018 at 1:06 AM, Bison44 said:

Did they say anything about Morgan postgame? Was he actually hurt??  Hopefully he and Mavinga arent hurt and Hernandez can just polish the bench for the rest of the year.  He shouldnt see the field again.

Also kind of puzzled by the argentine pick up today, why not a defender??   

Vanney said that Morgan was cramping up during the game so they had to take him off. Doesn't sound serious, neither does the Mavinga one which was apparently "precautionary" but they weren't so ready to call the Auro injury minor, they seem to want to wait on that one before saying how long he'll be out for again. They have little depth at right back now of course thanks to trading Hasler for a player they haven't given a chance yet, which apparently was done to free up cap space presumably for this new Argentinian attacker. I agree that it doesn't seem to be the area where they needed the extra depth as they remain thin at the back with all the injuries.

What a game.  While the result wasn’t helpful, there were some positives in this game.  Playing 80 down a man and not having your most athletic defender, battling back 2 times after going down. Team showed heart. 

Altidore was manhandled 3 times in the first 9 minutes and no calls.  Him kicking Callens out of frustration was an incredibly poor decision but a result of the poor officiating. Delgado was shit once again, jumping over the ball while on the second goal scorers path and making poor decisions with the ball.  Bono could have done better as well on the shot.  Chapman should be in his place.

if we make the playoffs and are healthy, there is no reason we can’t win it all again.  Just played yhesecond best team in the league short a man for 80+ minutes and could have earned a point..  Hopefully Jozy’s idiotic decision won’t have caused the dropped points we needed to get in.

38 minutes ago, mpg_29 said:

Yeah I'm sorry to say it but Toronto isn't making the playoffs...

Mathematically it's getting to the point where they are going to have to win 75-80% of the remaining games just to squeak in.

And if you squeek in, you dont get a home game in the first matchup.  Thats a problem, given how hard it is to win away in MLS.

That was a "bad karma" kind of a game, the sort that they didn't lose last year. Stupid red cards early on and giving up stupid goals at the end of games. Doesn't set them  up well for Wednesday's game at all, other than Altidore will at least be rested thanks to his stupidity. For the next league game, he and Mavinga are now suspended. Auro is out again for another 2-3 weeks so we might actually get to see TFC's preferred first-choice starting line-up for the first time this year in league play some time in September.

Van Der Wiel was awful in this game, which was very disappointing. He and Delgado playing around with the ball instead of moving it up field ultimately led to the winning NYCFC goal. All three goals were very preventable even if the last one was an amazing strike. Most bizarre thing was seeing Bakero talking to Vanney for about 5 minutes before he came on with Vanney no doubt telling him what he wanted to do out there - and then he didn't touch the ball once (in part because some of his teammates refused to pass to him - I guess they don't trust him yet or still prefer to go to those they are familiar with? Maybe Vanney was telling him "We're going to use you as a decoy - there is no chance of you getting the ball,  but  just pretend like there is").

I don't care what anyone says, that was a super soft red. You could hear the guy acting like he was dying because mics were nearby, he must have incredibly low pain tolerance. I don't know if it's because I watch hockey all winter but this play acting shit in soccer is really pathetic to me.

14 hours ago, Gian-Luca said:

Van Der Wiel was awful in this game, which was very disappointing.

A big game, against a big time opponent:  you'd expect a guy with that kind of pedigree (and pay packet) to raise his game to the next level, and that didn't happen with him today. 

25 minutes ago, Bdog said:

I don't care what anyone says, that was a super soft red. You could hear the guy acting like he was dying because mics were nearby, he must have incredibly low pain tolerance. I don't know if it's because I watch hockey all winter but this play acting shit in soccer is really pathetic to me.

I agree with the play acting comment and the ref should have blown a foul for Altidore getting chopped at before he retaliated but kicking out at someone who doesn't have the ball is a Red Card all day long!

Let's see, so far:

-Altidore only kicked back because the ref did not do his job. 

-The red was soft. 

-It was a bad karma game, the early red included.

-The victim play acted. 

Keep it coming guys, there have got to be a quite a few more beauties you can pull out to entertain the board, this is nothing compared to most post-loss posting.

4 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Let's see, so far:

-Altidore only kicked back because the ref did not do his job. 

-The red was soft. 

-It was a bad karma game, the early red included.

-The victim play acted..............

So if the ref is bad a player may kick another player? What ever the victim did is not relevant.  If a ref allows violent  conduct what happens next?  Did Altidore kick an opponent? Yes he did, case closed.

It truly shows how weak minded some players can be. If players remember to put the team first then these incidents would not happen.

10 hours ago, BearcatSA said:

A big game, against a big time opponent:  you'd expect a guy with that kind of pedigree (and pay packet) to raise their game to the next level, and that didn't happen with him today. 

I would have settled for just playing at the same level he had been doing. As it was, not only did he not raise his level, he lowered it by several degrees in this game. I see that Vanney in the post-game actually singled out the playing around with the ball by Van Der Wiel and Delgado prior to the winning goal as I had done as being the root cause of the goal (rather than the inadvertent backwards header by Morgan that it seems Caldwell was more focused on in the commentary based on the highlights). He also had another (deserved) go at Delgado (without naming him either time) on the 2nd goal, along with Bono of course who has let in howlers now in two of the last three home games (both losses to NY teams). I think that's the most depressed I've see Vanney look in a post-game show, but you can see why - some players are not playing as well as in 2017 (Bono, Delgado), one of his big stars and team leaders gets a stupid, petulant red in the first 10 minutes of the game and even then, they score 2 goals with 10 men and largely outplay NYCFC in the 2nd half only to conjure up a way to lose the game in the final minutes, which would be emotionally deflating.

4 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

I would have settled for just playing at the same level he had been doing. As it was, not only did he not raise his level, he lowered it by several degrees in this game. I see that Vanney in the post-game actually singled out the playing around with the ball by Van Der Wiel and Delgado prior to the winning goal as I had done as being the root cause of the goal (rather than the inadvertent backwards header by Morgan that it seems Caldwell was more focused on in the commentary based on the highlights). He also had another (deserved) go at Delgado (without naming him either time) on the 2nd goal, along with Bono of course who has let in howlers now in two of the last three home games (both losses to NY teams). I think that's the most depressed I've see Vanney look in a post-game show, but you can see why - some players are not playing as well as in 2017 (Bono, Delgado), one of his big stars and team leaders gets a stupid, petulant red in the first 10 minutes of the game and even then, they score 2 goals with 10 men and largely outplay NYCFC in the 2nd half only to conjure up a way to lose the game in the final minutes, which would be emotionally deflating.

It's all Morgan's fault according to Caldwell, too many other players get a free pass, that goal where Delgado stepped away from a tackle and Bono let in a howler was unbelievable, Hagglund played a big part in the winner as well!

Archived