• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, shamrock said:

Just looked at the USL schedule and to my surprise  / shock Penn FC plays Ottawa and a day and a half later they'll face TFC2 in Toronto. WTF??! Surely TFC2's first win of the season. Only in USL I guess...

Very odd. The TFC vs Penn FC game must be a school day game. The Penn FC broadcasters doing the Ottawa game have no idea why they’re playing at 11am.

Extremely odd. I've never seen anything like it. You need at least 3 days between games for recovery. And even than you see that teams get exhausted at the end of the second half. I'm assuming they'll be playing a different group, cause otherwise they're asking for trouble (injuries). 

51 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

They'll probably go to a one striker formation...leave Ricketts and Hamilton on the bench.....ugghhh!!  

Well, they already have gone to that formation the past two games and I expect them continue it, except for maybe Saturday's game since it is only 3 days after (and on the road) the game tomorrow. After that, it's finally back to one game a week for a couple of weeks and then no games a week in the first two weeks of June (after that Altidore would seemingly be about ready to return).

1 hour ago, Gian-Luca said:

Well, they already have gone to that formation the past two games and I expect them continue it, except for maybe Saturday's game since it is only 3 days after (and on the road) the game tomorrow. After that, it's finally back to one game a week for a couple of weeks and then no games a week in the first two weeks of June (after that Altidore would seemingly be about ready to return).

I was hoping we wouldnt be using 1 striker until Altidore gets healthy.  Sad that Vanney still doesnt have much faith in Ricketts/Hamilton.  Combined they had 9 goals in 9 starts, under 1400min in mls last year.  Comparable to AJH in Montreal. Wait..Garde doesnt have much faith in AJH either.  Cripes....:wacko:.  

3 hours ago, Bison44 said:

I was hoping we wouldnt be using 1 striker until Altidore gets healthy.  Sad that Vanney still doesnt have much faith in Ricketts/Hamilton.  Combined they had 9 goals in 9 starts, under 1400min in mls last year.  Comparable to AJH in Montreal. Wait..Garde doesnt have much faith in AJH either.  Cripes....:wacko:.  

The sad thing is we kept being told in the past that Canadian players were not getting playing time in MLS because they were not performing good and in some cases that was true but now there are players who clearly are good enough and performing well and they still are not getting the playing time they deserve. In other countries foreign players have to prove they are better than domestics but in MLS Canadians have to prove over and over again that they are better than the foreigners and journeymen American players. 

3 hours ago, deschamp86 said:

I think if Hamilton does not start in this stretch, its less indicative of his performance as it is of the performance of the midfield players on TFC. Hard to keep a lot of these guys out of the lineup at the moment

Yes, they've finally got Aketxe on a decent run of form so I don't think they are going to take him out of the line-up for tonight. However with another game in three days I expect we might see some line-up changes which involved either Hamilton or Ricketts starting, or maybe even Telfer being used off the bench.

I'm more concerned about Ricketts form than Hamilton's at the moment. I know he got an insurance goal against RSL, but just hasn't looked sharp this year. Between the two of them I would start Hamilton over Ricketts at the moment alongside Giovinco if they go back to a two-striker set-up, as he's probably a better all-round player anyway (for example, I can't see Ricketts executing a perfect through ball to Chapman the way Hamilton did last game) and Ricketts is still best utilized off the bench against tired defenders.

Very frustrating game this evening with the only good news being TFC playing 6 Canadians through the course of the night, including 5 on the field at the end of the game. Overall the team, while dominating Seattle, weren't sharp (ironically, the Canuck who I thought had the best game, Chapman, was the only one subbed off).

While there will (and already has been) a lot of talk about VAR again after the latest debacle (Seattle's winning goal clearly offside), I'd like to award Referee Ted Unkel with a record breaking performance for most through-balls denied to an attacking team by the Ref in one game. Honestly, the number of times he got in the way of a TFC player this evening was unbelievable. I expect a certain level of MLS officiating shittiness which we definitely got tonight all around, with a blind linesman on the east side of the field and Chris Penso (who disallowed two perfectly legitimate TFC goals in the playoffs last season the last time TFC had him as a Ref) doing an incompetent job as a VAR, but I've never seen a Ref get in the way of a team so much in my life. That took shitty officiating to a whole new level but I guess I should praise him for doing it in an original way!

Is anyone else growing tired of watching TFC overplay? 

I don't know what is on the go psychologically, but ever since Champions league, they seem obsessed with setting up the perfect scoring opportunity, rather than just putting the ball in the back of the net.

It was incredibly frusturating last night. 

They woke up in the second half and played more direct after they allowed that second goal, but too little, too late.

For as good as Osorio has been, it bothers me how he is unwilling to shoot most of the time. Just hit the ball and see what happens ffs.

https://mlsplayers.org/resources/salary-guide

Aketxe is making $1.2 million base salary, which means that I'd like to see him start hitting the target a lot more than he did last night.

Also, Ben Spencer appears to be making more money this season than last season. So they cut him after the end of last season, then re-signed him at a higher figure? I don't get it.

Akinola as a base salary of $54K (the league minimum) but "Total compensation" figure of $140K which is a higher figure than the likes of Nick Hagglund, Ashtone Morgan and Jordan Hamilton is. Anyone know what the deal is there? Most of the "total compensation" figures aren't nearly triple the base salary, though I'm assuming that "total compensation" means '"total possible compensation" (ie if you hit your bonuses)?

3 hours ago, Obinna said:

Is anyone else growing tired of watching TFC overplay? 

I don't know what is on the go psychologically, but ever since Champions league, they seem obsessed with setting up the perfect scoring opportunity, rather than just putting the ball in the back of the net.

It was incredibly frusturating last night. 

They woke up in the second half and played more direct after they allowed that second goal, but too little, too late.

For as good as Osorio has been, it bothers me how he is unwilling to shoot most of the time. Just hit the ball and see what happens ffs.

He probably doesnt want Giovinco to throw a fit if he doesnt get the pass.  Osorio and Delgado both had chances where they could have shot but choose to lay it off to Gio....most skilled player in MLS but you get a lot of whine with that cheese.  

With that new infusion of TAM and GAM,  The clubs dont need to use up their DP slots anymore.  But still, WOW, i never knew that they had committed that much to Aketxe.  Compared to that salary, Hasler (132K) looks like highwy robbery.  Miguel Almiron’s salary is listed as roughly the same as Aketxe.

18 hours ago, Ivan said:

Wow, looking at those TFC salaries, what is the salary cap again?  : )

TAM and GAM have certainly done wonders!

Yeah, why not get rid of the Cap all together instead of keep inventing new ways for topteams to invest the money they want to spend?

17 minutes ago, Rheo said:

These stories of these "late bloomers" just shows you that the North American system is still behind. Hopefully we will be catching these players earlier and have the proper system to funnel them through.

Archived