1 hour ago, mpg_29 said:

These stories of these "late bloomers" just shows you that the North American system is still behind. Hopefully we will be catching these players earlier and have the proper system to funnel them through.

That's unfair, there's always going to be stories like this in any development system in any sport whether it's Jamie Vardy or Darius Miller in the NBA.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
27 minutes ago, Dub Narcotic said:

That's unfair, there's always going to be stories like this in any development system in any sport whether it's Jamie Vardy or Darius Miller in the NBA.

Late bloomers are the exception, not some untapped great resource of big time talent.

20 hours ago, BearcatSA said:

Late bloomers are the exception, not some untapped great resource of big time talent.

I don't think anybody is calling Ryan Telfer big time talent. Also don't forget Jamario Moon when talking about late bloomers in the NBA.

1 hour ago, Ruffian said:

I don't think anybody is calling Ryan Telfer big time talent. Also don't forget Jamario Moon when talking about late bloomers in the NBA.

You're right:  big time isn't the right phrase for it.  He looks to be the same level of journeyman as Daniel Lovitz and bunch of other college vets who continue to populate MLS squads and with that hopefully he might be able to continue to forge a pro career in North America or abroad.

Which is great because anyone who plays regularly in MLS is almost guaranteed to be on our roster, if not a starter.  He won’t get much time going forward most likely, but if he was close to MLS level or starring in the CPL, he could be a factor in the CMNT.  All this from a University player who otherwise would never been a blip on the national team radar.  Bring on the CPL so we can discover a couple of these guys each year!

30 minutes ago, Stryker911 said:

I was always a big believer in prioritizing Canadian playing time over wins, but that is really starting to be tested.

It's not the Canadians who were responsible for putting team down 2-0 after 7 minutes. I think we need the Spaniard making 1.2 million to start earning that money, rather than setting up the opposition for two goals 

Think it is time to get Vazquez and Giovinco in there .  Unless they are physically incapable.  These recent showings weren’t bothering me too much but after that half if we don’t get something going, the malaise from their horrible showings may linger and cost us the playoff spot that I took for granted during the Concacaf run.  Really felt when CL was over we would go on a massive run and be back in it by game 12 or so.  Really doubtful now.  Let’s go Vanney play this last 45 with everything we have!

32 minutes ago, Stryker911 said:

I was always a big believer in prioritizing Canadian playing time over wins, but that is really starting to be tested.

Give me a break, Aketxe and Bradley goofed up on  the first goal, and the second was on Bono and Aketxe.  Delgado has had at least 3 terrible giveaways.  Both goals were right down the middle, we need to get regular CBs back and quick.  Its making me appreciate Zavelleta and Haglund.  When you play twice in a week and have all these injuries the team is bound to be disjointed, but its not the CDNs that are looking terrible.  And who would you rather put upfront, Spencer???  

Mls is becoming such a joke with VAR. who would have thought that allowing refs to review calls would somehow harm the game? I’ve seen more bad calls made than good through VAR.. that Giovinco red you knew was coming but anyone with a brain knows it’s wrong... and if you review it how don’t you give the revs player a yellow? Crazy. 

56 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

Give me a break, Aketxe and Bradley goofed up on  the first goal, and the second was on Bono and Aketxe.  Delgado has had at least 3 terrible giveaways.  Both goals were right down the middle, we need to get regular CBs back and quick.  Its making me appreciate Zavelleta and Haglund.  When you play twice in a week and have all these injuries the team is bound to be disjointed, but its not the CDNs that are looking terrible.  And who would you rather put upfront, Spencer???  

I agree for sure. What I meant was whether I prefer watching TFC playing with Canadians and losing or winning with no Canadians. Not that their form has been any Canadians fault today or other game. Just a general comment.

Tonight was the peak of Giovinco's awful attitude and how detrimental it is to the team. Scored a penalty and team has a few minutes to equalize then puts hands in the face of opponent and gets a fully deserved red and on top of that doesn't get off the field for another 30sec-1min arguing while Vanney is telling him to just get off, not caring that time is running out..he needs to be gone after this season or even sooner..and getting way too much at 7M, there's players getting 1-2M in the league and performing better

1 hour ago, Bison44 said:

Give me a break, Aketxe and Bradley goofed up on  the first goal, and the second was on Bono and Aketxe.  

I would give Hernandez an assist on the 1st goal as he stepped up when he should have dropped back while he also gets an assist on the third goal for being too slow to cover although lions share goes to Aketxe on the third goal (as well as the first two) - he had the easy outlet to Hasler but plays a more difficult pass and over hits it and the ball goes straight the other way but with Telfrer now out of position. I felt Caldwell was too harsh on Telfer and not harsh enough on Aketxe.

a shame that the comeback fell short, Geiger is an asshole for letting NE block a free kick from 3 yards away as the game ended. I just hope the season's comeback also doesn't fall just short.

6 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

I would give Hernandez an assist on the 1st goal as he stepped up when he should have dropped back while he also gets an assist on the third goal for being too slow to cover although lions share goes to Aketxe on the third goal (as well as the first two) - he had the easy outlet to Hasler but plays a more difficult pass and over hits it and the ball goes straight the other way but with Telfrer now out of position. I felt Caldwell was too harsh on Telfer and not harsh enough on Aketxe.

a shame that the comeback fell short, Geiger is an asshole for letting NE block a free kick from 3 yards away as the game ended. I just hope the season's comeback also doesn't fall just short.

That’s another thing... how was that allowed? 

1 hour ago, Big_M said:

Tonight was the peak of Giovinco's awful attitude and how detrimental it is to the team. Scored a penalty and team has a few minutes to equalize then puts hands in the face of opponent and gets a fully deserved red and on top of that doesn't get off the field for another 30sec-1min arguing while Vanney is telling him to just get off, not caring that time is running out..he needs to be gone after this season or even sooner..and getting way too much at 7M, there's players getting 1-2M in the league and performing better

LOL really he has been the best player TFC had ever had yes he is a hot head at times but so are alot of the best players in the world, the name Suarez comes to mind right now .

2 hours ago, Gian-Luca said:

It's not the Canadians who were responsible for putting team down 2-0 after 7 minutes. I think we need the Spaniard making 1.2 million to start earning that money, rather than setting up the opposition for two goals 

No it’s not but are Chapman and especially  Hamilton doing anything to prove they deserve more minutes when and if everybody gets healthy again ? 

10 minutes ago, 1996 said:

No it’s not but are Chapman and especially  Hamilton doing anything to prove they deserve more minutes when and if everybody gets healthy again ? 

The two guys who got TFC back into the game? Chapman will be pissed he missed that later chance but I don't think it's coincidence that Chapman lasted longer than Aketxe and Hamilton wasn't taken off at all whereas Ricketts was. Neither Chapman or Hamilton will be starting if and when TFC ever get their full starting line-up back but they are indeed making a case for getting more minutes and receiving more minutes.

Chapman is playing well and at this point I would think hard about leaving him in and sitting Azekte. When everyone is healthy he probably wont get many minutes, but hes done well so far.  Hamilton is 4th on the depth chart and has been equal to Rickets most nights.  He isnt starting in front of Gio or Altidore so his minutes will be limited no matter what.  

I agree with Gian -luca....which one is the mini-dp making 1.2mil a season??   Whats he doing to show that he is worth more than the end of the bench guys??  And you cant blame it on being new, Auro and VDW have stepped in and played a lot better.  Azekte seems like he zones out on defense and hasnt brought the offense to make up for poor defensive play.  Its still early but I dont think they hit the gold mine like they did with Vasquez last year.  

1 hour ago, Bison44 said:

Chapman is playing well and at this point I would think hard about leaving him in and sitting Azekte. When everyone is healthy he probably wont get many minutes, but hes done well so far.  Hamilton is 4th on the depth chart and has been equal to Rickets most nights.  He isnt starting in front of Gio or Altidore so his minutes will be limited no matter what.  

I agree with Gian -luca....which one is the mini-dp making 1.2mil a season??   Whats he doing to show that he is worth more than the end of the bench guys??  And you cant blame it on being new, Auro and VDW have stepped in and played a lot better.  Azekte seems like he zones out on defense and hasnt brought the offense to make up for poor defensive play.  Its still early but I dont think they hit the gold mine like they did with Vasquez last year.  

Hamilton brought a helluva lot more tonight than Tosaint. 

Archived