• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Kadenge said:

TFC  need to sign a CB that can play at a MLS level. Given the injuries to all  4 CB'S the odds are high of re injury when they do get back as has already occurred

This was a clear issue going into the season as well, especially with Moor's age. Bezbachenko and the front office are usually on point but they didn't have one of their better off-seasons this year between no CB signing and Axetxe.  

2 minutes ago, Dub Narcotic said:

This was a clear issue going into the season as well, especially with Moor's age. Bezbachenko and the front office are usually on point but they didn't have one of their better off-seasons this year between no CB signing and Axetxe.  

I mean they did get VDW and Auro...

2 hours ago, Dub Narcotic said:

Thats a bit harsh.  With a salary cap and roster restrictions how many quality CB were they going to stockpile??  Nobody expects to have 4CB injured at once, and I doubt many teams are prepared to cover for losses like that.  Hagglund and Zavaletta are decent cheap backups.  And with 2 new fullbacks coming in (auro/VDW) I thought the back line would be set for the year.   I do agree that Aketxe has been very underwhelming, all the other new signings have settled in nicely.  

54 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

Thats a bit harsh.  With a salary cap and roster restrictions how many quality CB were they going to stockpile??  Nobody expects to have 4CB injured at once, and I doubt many teams are prepared to cover for losses like that.  Hagglund and Zavaletta are decent cheap backups.  And with 2 new fullbacks coming in (auro/VDW) I thought the back line would be set for the year.   I do agree that Aketxe has been very underwhelming, all the other new signings have settled in nicely.  

I don't agree. Hagglund was injured coming into the season, Moor is 34, Hernandez was released and Zavaleta is a marginal MLS starter. The need was clear and it was a topic of discussion on a lot of message boards going into the start of the CCL campaign.

Sure, there was talk about upgrading, but they resigned Moor/Hagglund, and choose to shore up the fullback positions instead.  Hindsight is always 20/20, you cant have unlimited depth everywhere.  Having 2 starters and 2 decent cheap back ups doesnt seem to be all that short sighted. Maybe the back up plan to the back up plan was one of the academy, draft picks or signings kicking around TFC2 could be the 5th or 6th CB on the depth chart.  

Looks like they are going with a back three of Van Der Wiel, Bradley and Hernandez which is a recipe for giving up some goals IMO - hopefully I am wrong. Hagglund is on the bench as is Hasler.

Four Canucks slated to start - Osorio, Telfer, Fraser and Chapman. Ricketts is on the bench, Hamilton is not (possible future Canadian Akinola is instead. Morgan not back yet from injury. 

Bradley needs to sit. He has been through a lot over the past while. US knocked out of WCQ with Bradley (unfairly) shouldering the blame. Then he misses the pk to lose the Champions League final. Now he is leading the sinking ship that is Toronto Football club. It is a lot for any man. The guy is human. He needs a break, psycologically.

As Captain and leader of the team I hope Bradley takes ownership for the loss of two points tonight. It was not hard to predict that they would give up goals tonight but it was more surprising that 2 of the goals were after Bradley was moved back into midfield. Maybe he needs to be given a rest as that was awful but it might be from overall fatigue. Meanwhile Fraser continues to play well in Bradley's spot.

on the other hand, I figured TFC were going to lose tonight anyway so they still got one more point than  I thought they were even with the Bradley-led 3 goal collapse.

2 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Bradley needs to sit. He has been through a lot over the past while. US knocked out of WCQ with Bradley (unfairly) shouldering the blame. Then he misses the pk to lose the Champions League final. Now he is leading the sinking ship that is Toronto Football club. It is a lot for any man. The guy is human. He needs a break, psycologically.

How do you give 1/3 of your teams salary a break? Not happening. He is a professional and needs to play like one.. the last 2 goals were completely on him making beer league plays. Be better... if you can’t play good play simple and smart. 

2 minutes ago, Keegan said:

How do you give 1/3 of your teams salary a break? Not happening. He is a professional and needs to play like one.. the last 2 goals were completely on him making beer league plays. Be better... if you can’t play good play simple and smart. 

He was at fault for all three goals (although whoever gave the ball away with another stupid back pass - Delgado I think - gets an assist on the third goal). On the first he gave the ball away carelessly leading to the corner which he subsequently got beat in the air on.

3 minutes ago, Keegan said:

And he lost out to Zardes on the first goal.

I get he needs to be a professional and all that but something needs to either change with Bradley or Vanney has to make something change, but either way something needs to be done. Insanity is doing the same thing and expecting a different result. Next week i'll be in Philadelphia and i'll get to see things for myself up close. I am sure it will be Bradley in the centre of a back 3...again. 

44 minutes ago, Obinna said:

I get he needs to be a professional and all that but something needs to either change with Bradley or Vanney has to make something change, but either way something needs to be done. Insanity is doing the same thing and expecting a different result. Next week i'll be in Philadelphia and i'll get to see things for myself up close. I am sure it will be Bradley in the centre of a back 3...again. 

It is time for Bradley to be traded while he will have some worth, perhaps to Cincinnati, perhaps to Colorado or another cellar dweller, but to some other team. He has clearly lost a step and his play has been weakening for awhile. I live in BC, but I pull for TFC due to Vanney playing Canadians consistently. Maybe he could go to LAFC for MAK, but clearly Bradley is hurting TFC these days.

At this point Vanney still thinks Fraser in midfield for Bradley is a better option than leaving Bradley in mid and shiftin someone else into the CB spot.  Which says a lot about how well Fraser has been doing and even more about what he thinks of any defender at TFC2.  I feel sorry for Bradley, I dont think switching back and forth is helping his game at all.  He is being a professional and doing what he is told but Vanney should see its not working.  And I dont understand if Hagglund was healthy why didnt he start??  This reminds me so much of Columbus games in years past, losing a lead late, giving away points against the crew.   

As much as I gave credit to Vanney for getting things right last season I must say he has to take lots of blame this season, there are lots of injuries but this expensive roster is supposed to have depth!

8 hours ago, Bison44 said:

At this point Vanney still thinks Fraser in midfield for Bradley is a better option than leaving Bradley in mid and shiftin someone else into the CB spot.  Which says a lot about how well Fraser has been doing and even more about what he thinks of any defender at TFC2.  I feel sorry for Bradley, I dont think switching back and forth is helping his game at all.  He is being a professional and doing what he is told but Vanney should see its not working.  And I dont understand if Hagglund was healthy why didnt he start??  This reminds me so much of Columbus games in years past, losing a lead late, giving away points against the crew.   

This x 1000

I suspect the long term solution, as Vanney sees it, is for Drew Moor is to slot Bradley in his spot full time ( in a back 3).

One thing is for sure, this stretch is a challenge for Vanney and is showing us how flexible he can or cannot be. I say flexible in terms of recognizing something isn't working and being willing to change it. Right now he is failing that challenge in my opinion.

He can't use the excuse he didn't have healthy centre backs tonight. He had Nick on the bench and if I recall, Hasler was there too, so he had the option of shifting Van der weil centrally and bringing Nico into full back. Vanney needs to shoulder the blame for these line up choices.

Tim and Greg dropped the ball in the off season. They should have def looked for two very strong central backs and in my opinion a very sold d-mid. Attack is decent, but acquiring a player with good speed up front that can beat defenders off the dribble would have given the team wings. Hindsight is a B though and right now it looks like preparation was very poor and it may cost the playoffs. Pretty bad considering last seasons heroics. Fatigue at the highest level tends to affect the body and the team did not get enough rest in the off season. Difficult times call for new tactical measures, but the team does not have the personnel at this point. Need some dynamic players right now. Need some excitement on the field to ignite some real passion. Bradley needs to sit a couple games as well. He is making mental and tactical errors that are unlike him because he is fatigued. He has logged a lot of playing time and he needs help. Hope they will turn it around...

Archived