Canada vs. Jamaica Sept. 2nd 2017 - Pre-Match thread

jpg75

The expected attendance is good and hopefully some of it is a result of our decent showing at the Gold Cup.  With the Ex in full swing hopefully some patrons who have had enough of the carny rides or stuffing their faces with deep fried Mars bars will see the wave of red and grab some walk up tickets.

As far as the game being meaningless I would disagree as being where we are in the world no games are meaningless.  We need to approach every game with our best possible squads and go for the win.  Every bump in the rankings will help and continuing to create a winning mindset under Oz will go a long way to preparing us for when the games do count.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think you guys must understand that when I said meaningless, I used it as a hyperbole. There is meaning, but it is very little compared to when we faced them a month ago in the Gold Cup

Guys, when I said that this International Friendly "isn't meaningless" i was referring to the fact that Canada will play in Toronto again since last time was two years ago and the first time since Stadium renovations we're completed at BMO Field in early 2016 

Also worth mentioning:

• Atiba Hutchinson's return after a 1 year hiatus 

• Paul Stalteri inducted into Soccer Hall of Fame 

• de Jong, Ledgerwood and Ricketts honoured for their 50 caps 

Yeah I know this is a rematch of the quarterfinals, but I see it as a chance to continue to build team chemistry, momentum, confidence  etc.

An opportunity to keep improving without a doubt 

9 hours ago, JamboAl said:

I agree.  I think 16,000 with the potential of more to be pretty damn good especially with it being a long weekend and many folks drifting away to cottages or leaving town.  I was quietly hoping for 15 K. 

I was expecting 10K, maybe 12 tops. I haven't heard anyone (amongst casual sports fans) talking about this game or even aware that it is happening

22 minutes ago, Jamaicanadian said:

I have a love hate relationship with this tilt.

I am frustrated by every missed opportunity but excited by every well timed tackle and finish.

So conflicted and so looking forward to tomorrow.

Be happy that what ever happens, you can't lose!

What are your thoughts on the Jamaican team for this match? Are the missing guys going to make that much of a difference?

58 minutes ago, BuzzAndSting said:

What are your thoughts on the Jamaican team for this match? Are the missing guys going to make that much of a difference?

It seems like Tappa giving more "local" guys a good run out in order to build his squad depth.  His approach turned out pretty well at the Gold Cup as you are aware. This game is more of the same in that regard. Some in Jamaica argue that a lot of the recent coaches may have relied too heavily on the foreign born contingent. Missing guys will be missed but not by the coach.     

1 hour ago, jonny63 said:

Why is not the friendly on fifa.com ?

http://www.fifa.com/associations/association=can/index.html

Not official friendly match ?

I sent an email to FIFA about it. The Bermuda friendly from earlier this year did not show up on FIFA.com until a week or two after the fact. I emailed them about it a week after the game and it showed up a day or two later. Hopefully it will happen in this case too.

19 minutes ago, Jith12 said:

I sent an email to FIFA about it. The Bermuda friendly from earlier this year did not show up on FIFA.com until a week or two after the fact. I emailed them about it a week after the game and it showed up a day or two later. Hopefully it will happen in this case too.

Why didn't the Bermuda match count towards our FIFA rankings? As far as I can tell we never received points for it. Was it deemed unofficial for some reason??

Is this something we need to let CSA know about ? It would totally suck if we beat Jamaica and we don't get the ranking points for it.

16 hours ago, canta15 said:

I think you guys must understand that when I said meaningless...

They are just yanking your chain. Of course it's meaningless, it is a "friendly" as opposed to a "competitive" game in a sanctioned tournament. :)

But of course the "meaning" attached to any game we play is huge. I am sure that this one single game will decide the fate of:

• The CanPL
  • The united bid for the WC
  • The future of all our coaches, players and technical staff
  • The future of life as we know it on this planet

See how quickly that can escalate. ;)

2 hours ago, Boominbooty said:

Why didn't the Bermuda match count towards our FIFA rankings? As far as I can tell we never received points for it. Was it deemed unofficial for some reason??

Is this something we need to let CSA know about ? It would totally suck if we beat Jamaica and we don't get the ranking points for it.

After I contacted FIFA about the Bermuda game it was added to the list of all our fixtures. Since it is on this list then that means that FIFA does deem it official and we should've recieved points. If we can determine for sure that we were not given the appropriate amount of points for the match then we should definitely report it to the CSA.

Archived