Canada vs. Jamaica Sept. 2nd 2017 - Pre-Match thread

jpg75

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No Andre Blake and Darren Mattocks stands out, as those two are definite starters for Jamaica and were both quite good at the Gold Cup. Unsurprisingly, none of the England based players have been called up either. 

Pound for pound, we're a better team than Jamaica when comparing the roster we called up to theirs, so we should win. The key to winning this match will be how we deal with Jamaica's counterattack, which we didn't do very well at all in the Gold Cup match versus them. Starting Manjrekar James, who was an absolute beast when he came on in that GC match, should help. 

Our squad:

http://www.canadasoccer.com/canada-soccer-builds-strong-squad-for-home-match-at-bmo-field-p161090

CANADA
1- GK- Simon Thomas | NOR / FK Bodø/Glimt
2- FB- Nik Ledgerwood | CAN / FC Edmonton
3- CB- Manjrekar James | HUN / Vasas Budapest
4- FB- Michael Petrasso | ENG / Queens Park Rangers
5- CB- Dejan Jaković | USA / New York Cosmos
6- M- Samuel Piette | CAN / Impact Montréal FC
7- FB- Samuel Adekugbe | SWE / IFK Göteborg (on loan from Vancouver Whitecaps FC)
8- M- Will Johnson | USA / Orlando City SC
9- F- Tosaint Ricketts | CAN / Toronto FC
10- M- David Junior Hoilett | WAL / Cardiff City FC
11- F- Cyle Larin | USA / Orlando City SC
12- M- Alphonso Davies | CAN / Vancouver Whitecaps FC
13- M- Atiba Hutchinson | TUR / Beşiktaş JK
14- M- Mark-Anthony Kaye | USA / Louisville City FC
15- CB- Amer Didic | USA / Sporting Kansas City
16- F- Anthony Jackson-Hamel | CAN / Impact Montréal FC
17- FB- Marcel de Jong | CAN / Vancouver Whitecaps FC
18- GK- Jayson Leutwiler | ENG / Blackburn Rovers
20- M- Raheem Edwards | CAN / Toronto FC
21- M- Jonathan Osorio | CAN / Toronto FC
22- GK- James Pantemis | CAN / Impact Montréal FC
23- M- Tesho Akindele | USA / FC Dallas
24- M- David Choinière | CAN / Impact Montréal FC
25- M- Jay Chapman | CAN / Toronto FC

It's still a very solid Jamaican team that will line up similar to the gold cup.. going to be a challenge again, important to score first. 

They have a solid back 4, good keeper and are seemingly weak in midfield but Watson and Francis are solid vets still. 

8 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Nice squad. We definitely have to go for the jugular and not let up, we have to compete our asses off. Desperate to rise in FIFA rankings and overall confidence. 

Larin will score actually trying to, with an appropriate part of his body, for Canada.

Hey when you are scoring any body part is appropriate, hehe.  

4 hours ago, Rheo said:

NOTE: I’ll have more with Zambrano on how he’s trying to convince a trio of young prospects – Ballou Tabla (Montreal Impact), Bryan Cristante (Benfica) and Ricardo Ferreira (Braga) – to forego their other international options and commit to playing for Canada. Look for that story Thursday on Sportsnet.

This would be my Starting Line Up for Saturday vs Jamaica:

Then at halftime:

• Simon Thomas gets subbed off and in comes Jayson Leutwiler

• de Jong Out, Adekugbe In

• Pettraso Out, Ledgerwood In

• Akindele Out, Davies in

• Osorio Out, Edwards In

• Larin Out, Ricketts/AJH In 

*If Johnson was available i would have put him in instead of Piette* 

IMG_3518.JPG

7 hours ago, hamiltonfan said:

Via ticketmaster map - lower bowl sold out but section 123. 

West side of the upper deck selling well. 

I'm glad that the west side upper deck is available now, even though I wasn't allowed to buy tickets there as recently as a week ago (I bought my tickets at the TFC-Philly game straight from the stadium box office). My regular TFC seats are up on the upper deck and it's where I prefer to sit so its always annoying when I can't, so unless that deck also sells out entirely, you can guess were I'll be moving to.....

I bought our tickets in section 123 a couple of hours before the upper west side deck opened. Oh well, it's for a worthy cause, right? Before the Canada v Jamaica game three years ago we went to Nottawasaga hoping to catch some of the team's training. They must have been inside as we didn't see anyone. But, we won the match v Jamaica. So today we went to Nottawasaga with the same result. Hoping the same result for Saturday's game too!

Good to see OZ continue to call the vets.  Hes not handing a spot or time to anyone, the young guys will have to fight for their spot.

Id like to see guys like Adekugbe and Petrasso consolidate their spots on the starting 11.  

Aside from the wingback spots and keeper, the team mostly picks itself. 

Predicting Junior will have a big game.

I was just looking at Jamaica's recent results and was thinking We should really be smashing a team that lost 3-1 to Peru earlier this year. Then I decided to check the world rankings abd found that Peru are ranked 14th! How is this possible?! I know that the FIFA rankings are screwed up, but Peru #14? Their squad is mainly based domestically and never have I heard rave reviews about the Peruvian league. I would think that we would probably put in a good fight vs Peru. Thoughts on this?

3 minutes ago, Jith12 said:

I was just looking at Jamaica's recent results and was thinking We should really be smashing a team that lost 3-1 to Peru earlier this year. Then I decided to check the world rankings abd found that Peru are ranked 14th! How is this possible?! I know that the FIFA rankings are screwed up, but Peru #14? Their squad is mainly based domestically and never have I heard rave reviews about the Peruvian league. I would think that we would probably put in a good fight vs Peru. Thoughts on this?

Here's Peru's  WCQ results this past 12 months.

Win against Bolivia (know it was a forfeit and they lost the match, but it's a win in FIFA's books because Bolivia fielded an ineligible player)
Win against Ecuador
Draw against Argentina
Loss against Chile
Win against Paraguay
Loss against Brazil
Draw against Venezuela
Win against Uruguay

That's 4 wins, 2 draw and 2 losses in  the hardest region to qualify, IMHO. Only  Brazil has done better in the past 12 months  in CONMEBOL.

Now, if you're saying that it's not a good league. Does it matter? The team is playing well in WCQ and they are getting tons of points because it's CONMEBOL too. 

10 minutes ago, Jith12 said:

At this point in time, Peru happens to be on a significant upswing and would surely beat us if not smash us.  

Most of their starting 11 plays abroad.  They have players in top flight clubs in England, Portugal, Netherlands, Russia, Mexico, Brazil, etc.  We have a long, long way to go before we have a player pool on that level.  

Also, though their league may be modest, the top players from their league get sold to Mexican, Brazilian and Argentinian teams on a regular basis, with the odd superstar teenager going to Europe.  

This is what the CanPL should be aiming for, though MLS, Scandinavia and Germany should be the target buyers.  Maybe Mexico too.

Archived