Canada vs. Jamaica Sept. 2nd 2017 - Pre-Match thread

jpg75

12 hours ago, Jith12 said:

I was just looking at Jamaica's recent results and was thinking We should really be smashing a team that lost 3-1 to Peru earlier this year. Then I decided to check the world rankings abd found that Peru are ranked 14th! How is this possible?! I know that the FIFA rankings are screwed up, but Peru #14? Their squad is mainly based domestically and never have I heard rave reviews about the Peruvian league. I would think that we would probably put in a good fight vs Peru. Thoughts on this?

Peru always give teams a hard time in CONMEBOL, one of the most competitive regions in the world, they're no pushover. They are also very well coached. I think they're underrated in NA because of lack of understanding of the level of competition in South America, even from the smaller teams.

We would have a hard time beating Peru. It would be something to be be proud of if we did, and nothing to be ashamed of if we lost by a small margin.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 hours ago, jpg75 said:

NOTE: I’ll have more with Zambrano on how he’s trying to convince a trio of young prospects – Ballou Tabla (Montreal Impact), Bryan Cristante (Benfica) and Ricardo Ferreira (Braga) – to forego their other international options and commit to playing for Canada. Look for that story Thursday on Sportsnet.

And here's the article

http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/ballou-tabla-bryan-cristante-ricardo-ferreira-octavio-zambrano-montrea-impact-mls-canada-soccer/

3 hours ago, Shakmur said:

Peru always give teams a hard time in CONMEBOL, one of the most competitive regions in the world, they're no pushover. They are also very well coached. I think they're underrated in NA because of lack of understanding of the level of competition in South America, even from the smaller teams.

We would have a hard time beating Peru. It would be something to be be proud of if we did, and nothing to be ashamed of if we lost by a small margin.

We lost to them with our A list guys last time they were here seven years ago.  They're a quality side.  I'd like to play them again in the future.

Rudi reporting that we've sold 16k + tickets.. that would be extremely impressive and with a walk up CNE crowd we could probably get another 2k.  I find it hard to believe still.. clearly the commercials and ads have had an impact. Props to the csa because we're usually lucky to crack 10k for friendlies.

2 hours ago, BearcatSA said:

We lost to them with our A list guys last time they were here seven years ago.  They're a quality side.  I'd like to play them again in the future.

Yeah, I think that they would be a good choice for a friendly. They would be a very stern test but I think that we capable of getting a result with our A-team playing on top form.

3 minutes ago, BuzzAndSting said:

Wait, you're disappointed with 16K? What were you expecting?

Some people expect way too much from meaningless friendlies.

19 hours ago, Jith12 said:

I was just looking at Jamaica's recent results and was thinking We should really be smashing a team that lost 3-1 to Peru earlier this year. Then I decided to check the world rankings abd found that Peru are ranked 14th! How is this possible?! I know that the FIFA rankings are screwed up, but Peru #14? Their squad is mainly based domestically and never have I heard rave reviews about the Peruvian league. I would think that we would probably put in a good fight vs Peru. Thoughts on this?

Peru is a good squad. Maybe the domestic league is nothing to gloat about compared to other SA leagues but they do produce talent. And yes they easily handled us with their B team without Guerrero and Pizarro. 

32 minutes ago, Blackjack15 said:

It's not a meaningless Friendly 

Oh you're right I forgot. Whoever wins this game retakes the title of Gold Cup finalists correct?

48 minutes ago, Blackjack15 said:

It's not a meaningless Friendly 

I mean it's just about as meaningless as friendlies can get. It isn't a tune up for a competitive game, we likely don't have another competitive game for another year, and Jamaica isn't calling in 8 of their best players.

It's a good test and all, but I wouldn't call this game meaningful...regardless of the outcome. 

The only thing meaningful about this game is the fact that the game is hosted in Canada and that we possibly are attracting new fans because of TFC's success/ building on a bit of a hype due to the Gold cup. If there's a time to perform well and play an attractive game during a "meaningless friendly" it would be now. 

2 hours ago, Blackjack15 said:

I'd be lying to you if I said I wasn't disappointed with this number. 

Not surprising, but was hoping it would be more 

IMG_3520.PNG

We were a much stronger team playing Costa Rica after the 2007 gold cup for the first match in Toronto in 7 years and we got half that so 16k is outstanding. 

It isn't a meaningless friendly.. there's really no such thing as a friendly in international football and especially not for us as we must rely on these games for points and reputation amongst our fans.

3 hours ago, Jith12 said:

Yeah, I think that they would be a good choice for a friendly. They would be a very stern test but I think that we capable of getting a result with our A-team playing on top form.

Watched us play them in the Pan-Ams a few years ago. They destroyed us.

Archived