CPL/L1C - Division II - Pro/Rel discussion

Ansem

Future Division 2  

4 members have voted

1. 1. How should the second tier be established?

• League 1 Canada becomes the 2nd Tier with the best clubs from Provincial league 1s joining it?
    • Creating a brand new league (Championship) at that Tier between CPL and League 1 Canada?
    • We don't need a 2nd division
  2. 2. Should CPL clubs ever face relegation?

• Yes
    • No

On 4/9/2021 at 6:55 AM, Shway said:

Ahh thanks guys @Ozzie_the_parrot @yellowsweatygorilla.

I just don't understand the purpose of creating something similar to L10, PLSQ but then looking for a different designation, that would essentially be lower than those leagues. It's overall confusing, as you can tell.

It's not going to change the structure in Ontario or Quebec with guys who play L10/PLSQ, and then leave to go to U-Sports or NCAA. So if it's just a shorter season being the difference, why would the CSA sanction it as something different - when theoretically it's not.

CSA won't sanction them D2 if they're D3 level with a shorter season. Encompassing more that one region won't make them D2 on its own, won't be surprised if this group never even applies for D2. They may end up playing a tournament and pretending their D2 level for marketing purposes possibly though.

Edited by CDNFootballer

My AB source tells me a official press release for Div 2 is in store this week... as early as this Friday.  Can confirm that TSS and Highlanders are out.  All the money they have is tied up in some multi- year USL deal and they can't pay the $300K Div 2 franchise fee.  Teams will be as rumored:

West
Foothills
Sask Summer Series
Okanagan
Scottish
BC Tigers
Manitoba

East
Barrie
Blainville
Thunder Bay
Vaughan
Oakville
Beauport

Will either be called Canadian Development League or Canadian National League.  No word on womens yet besides Foothills and Scottish.

18 hours ago, CDNFootballer said:

CSA won't sanction them D2 if they're D3 level with a shorter season. Encompassing more that one region won't make them D2 on its own, won't be surprised if this group never even applies for D2. They may end up playing a tournament and pretending their D2 level for marketing purposes possibly though.

Div2 status has already been applied for by the group

Excited. 

Agree with @CDNFootballer it will be hard to get D2 status in a 3 month season but maybe this is a one off 3 month season under current guidelines? Guess we will find out. Maybe the league really is operating on a higher plain to justify it. Seemed like 3 months was the long term goal from one of the reports (Rollins, maybe?), to play before cabin season in the summer starts. 

Can only imagine it being called this considering the trademark and what has been rumoured. 

On 3/3/2021 at 12:04 PM, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

image.png

image.png

1 hour ago, CPLinsider said:

My AB source tells me a official press release for Div 2 is in store this week... as early as this Friday.  Can confirm that TSS and Highlanders are out.  All the money they have is tied up in some multi- year USL deal and they can't pay the $300K Div 2 franchise fee.  Teams will be as rumored:

West
Foothills
Sask Summer Series
Okanagan
Scottish
BC Tigers
Manitoba

East
Barrie
Blainville
Thunder Bay
Vaughan
Oakville
Beauport

Will either be called Canadian Development League or Canadian National League.  No word on womens yet besides Foothills and Scottish.

TSS, Highlanders and Whitecaps u19 pulled out due to the lax vetting process for some of the teams from what I know

FC Manitoba had also launched a women's team

Edited by CPLWoodenSpoon
Adding more info

7 minutes ago, CPLWoodenSpoon said:

TSS, Highlanders and Whitecaps u23 pulled out due to the lax vetting process for some of the teams from what I know

FC Manitoba had also launched a women's team

I heard SK was planning on putting a womens team together for the 2020 SKSSS so hopefully they will be a part too. 

1 hour ago, CPLinsider said:

West
Foothills, Sask Summer Series, Okanagan, Scottish, BC Tigers, Manitoba

East
Barrie, Blainville, Thunder Bay, Vaughan, Oakville, Beauport

A second Victoria team was always a bit of a stretch given the way Pacific FC are struggling at the gate. I guess the Peterborough group will be joining this eventually?

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

52 minutes ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

A second Victoria team was always a bit of a stretch given the way Pacific FC are struggling at the gate. I guess the Peterborough group will be joining this eventually?

I dont think Peterborough is big enough. League 1 would be big enough for Peterborough. 

On 4/12/2021 at 3:46 PM, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

It's bigger than Thunder Bay in census metropolitan area terms:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_census_metropolitan_areas_and_agglomerations_in_Canada

I am originally from Thunder Bay and visit my relatives there frequently, it is a good sports town and they supported the PDL reasonably well and because of it's location there isn't a close option to go watch soccer or any sports for that matter in a larger city, Winnipeg is 700km away! I think a Div 2 team would do very well there, it's the only game in town!

3 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

BTB Soccer would be a second Edmonton team by the looks of things:

https://www.btbsoccer.com/

Looks like an Edmonton version of Sigma

I'm told that Alphonso is paying for their league entry and that they'll be playing under the name Edmonton City SC.  Sounds like a lot of the divide between groups playing in this league surrounds BTB as they won't meet a lot of league criteria and a handful of their coaches were suspended by Alberta Soccer last year.

Also sounds like Whitecaps U19 are back in, but only to play some exhibition matches in the first year until league plans are more concrete.

This is really a PDL type Canadian league which is a D4 setup, maybe a D3 setup in Canada.  

I’d like to see what the sanctioning for it looks like.  Especially since the BC team was reportedly rejected from League 1 BC as a team and the BTB team had it’s coaches suspended in Alberta last year.  

I want to see really positive and complementary messaging from them regarding the rest of the CSA pyramid from them.

1 hour ago, Shway said:

If I was in Edmonton, I would find it hard to support a team that’s named “Edmonton Scottish”. Seems like they’re limiting themselves of there demographic reach.

It’s weird, like Toronto Croatia.

Looks like there will be 3 clubs to choose from! Cover all bases. 

Hope this is, at least to start a Prairie D3 (L1 Prairies or something) that can naturally expand to a D2. Build from the ground so players can graduate through when D2 is realistically achievable rather than back fill with a wonky system. 

Either way having a L1 for all areas has to happen. If D2 is achievable at a standard and level that is clearly different to D3 right now then great.

4 hours ago, toontownman said:

Looks like there will be 3 clubs to choose from! Cover all bases. 

Hope this is, at least to start a Prairie D3 (L1 Prairies or something) that can naturally expand to a D2. Build from the ground so players can graduate through when D2 is realistically achievable rather than back fill with a wonky system. 

Either way having a L1 for all areas has to happen. If D2 is achievable at a standard and level that is clearly different to D3 right now then great.

I mean, given what I think all of our goals are, I think wider coverage of the L1 system is a bigger priority than a D2 league.  It just seems like L1/D3 is currently a cheaper/more viable part of the pyramid to keep identifying talent and pushing it on to either the CPL or MLS.

With a provincial D3 in Ontario and Quebec along with one getting ready in DC, one covering ALB,SSK and MAN makes sense, the travel could be interesting, but if you can get 16-20 teams with good geographic coverage things could work. That would make much more sense that some fly by night D2 stetup that could do more damage than good. The CSA does not want a dumpster fire on their hands. 

On 4/22/2021 at 7:18 PM, Shway said:

If I was in Edmonton, I would find it hard to support a team that’s named “Edmonton Scottish”. Seems like they’re limiting themselves of there demographic reach.

It’s weird, like Toronto Croatia.

Wondered how long it would be until we got that sort of post and whether we would have to wait for a Vaughan team to be revealed as being Azzurri or for people to find out that FC Manitoba = Ital-Inter SC in MMSL terms for knees to start a-jerking over ethnic clubs.

How many people do you think are going to turn up for a league like this in Edmonton when FCE draws flies a lot of the time to Clarke Stadium? The key here maybe is that these are genuine clubs that have been around for decades as opposed to some rich guy's franchise play thing. If they want to play in a national format league with a PDL-type roster to complete a player pathway concept why would the CSA want to place a limit on their ambitions if they get a national women's league showcasing top U-Sports and NCAA scholarship players out of it?

14 hours ago, Cblake said:

...That would make much more sense that some fly by night D2 stetup that could do more damage than good. The CSA does not want a dumpster fire on their hands. 

Perhaps worth bearing in mind that the Calgary Foothills and Thunder Bay Chill have been around a lot longer than CanPL have. It remains to be seen whether CanPL's business model revolving around full-time contracts and air travel is actually going to work long term in enough cities to have a stable league in a Canada-only context. Fan interest in Halifax was a positive sign in 2019 but we need to see a few more success stories emerging elsewhere that don't involve papering the house.

A short season PDL type format can sustain low budget long distance bus travel because student athletes have the time on their hands necessary to make it viable and that makes soccer viable as a paid spectator sport in a remote city like Thunder Bay. D3 leagues like L1O and PLSQ are not likely to stretch beyond an easy driving distance from Toronto and Montreal in a sustained manner because players with regular jobs and family commitments enter into the equation in that context. Different types of rosters are being catered to so there's room for both types of league.

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

• Ansem changed the title to CPL/L1C - Division II - Pro/Rel discussion