CPL/L1C - Division II - Pro/Rel discussion

Ansem

Future Division 2  

4 members have voted

1. 1. How should the second tier be established?

• League 1 Canada becomes the 2nd Tier with the best clubs from Provincial league 1s joining it?
    • Creating a brand new league (Championship) at that Tier between CPL and League 1 Canada?
    • We don't need a 2nd division
  2. 2. Should CPL clubs ever face relegation?

• Yes
    • No

ted..you forgot the part where you disparage the pics of the crowd "that doesnt look like 600 people", then disregard the numbers because of the free tickets "the team just papered the house".  Its sure funny how he holds the CPL to a harsher standard than anything else..USL, MLS, random friendlies etc etc.  

1 minute ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

^^^no point engaging with either of these guys after posts like that. Swangard was probably viewed as too small for CanPL back in 2018 but it would be comparable to what York United have now on capacity with much the same optics of only having one main stand if they had put a team there.

WTF are you on about?!? I have always thought Swangard would be fine for CanPL and that picture you showed is something that could be built upon for sure. 

I am am objecting to your falsehoods and slander against Pacific FC. 

37 minutes ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

^^^no point engaging with either of these guys after posts like that. Swangard was probably viewed as too small for CanPL back in 2018 but it would be comparable to what York United have now on capacity with much the same optics of only having one main stand if they had put a team there.

I don't think the issue with Swangard has ever been about its size. Rather, the issue is playing so close to the Whitecaps. For a CPL to have any chance of success in the lower mainland (and personally, I remain incredibly skeptical about its success) it would have to be in a more distinct/separate market from the Whitecaps. Hence why Surrey and Langley have always been the primary focal points for any discussion.

1 hour ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Unbelievable how grown men behave on here sometimes.

I am going to defend your right to an opinion.  
However, your past postings create the impression that you have an agenda which is not in keeping with the general, overall desire of the CPL to succeed.  
I would suggest less quantity and more constructive interest/criticism would result in a less visceral reaction.

...and I would suggest that if you don't ban posters like longlugan you shouldn't be telling anybody on here how to behave because you have allowed this forum to degenerate into a complete cesspit. I have posted on here for 20 years because I am passionate about Canadian soccer. To have it suggested that I do not want Canadian soccer to succeed is offensive in the extreme and frankly sickening.

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

So this bizarre misconception about my supposed agenda is why longlugan and others have been allowed to target me with vile personal abuse? As stated ad nauseam I would love to see both MLS and CanPL succeed and would like to see them cooperating closely for the greater good of Canadian soccer. I would love to see all CanPL teams drawing crowds like HFX Wanderers and to see each team filled with potential CMNT level talent but I'm not going to pretend it's happening when it isn't.

3 hours ago, Watchmen said:

I don't think the issue with Swangard has ever been about its size. Rather, the issue is playing so close to the Whitecaps. For a CPL to have any chance of success...

Some people would no doubt happily watch both as I would be doing if I was living in the GTA right now. The healthy crowd for a game I would have expected to struggle to have more than friends and family out is a good sign on the potential size of that demographic.

A lot depends on what they need to break even on a 750k salary cap at the moment as opposed to whatever cap they had in mind back in 2017 when they were talking about crowds of 6500 as being the norm. What I was hinting at was that Swangard might be more in the ballpark now than it initially would have been projected to be.

What makes the territorial rights to the  wider Vancouver area potentially attractive in a way that isn't necessarily applicable somewhere like Saskatoon is the ability to hook up a pro level club with a Sigma type elite pay-for-play youth academy operation and ultimately try to sell players on. It might be possible to find ownership that could live with FCE sized crowds.

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

4 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

So this bizarre misconception about my supposed agenda is why longlugan and others have been allowed to target me with vile personal abuse? As stated ad nauseam I would love to see both MLS and CanPL succeed and would like to see them cooperating closely for the greater good of Canadian soccer. I would love to see all CanPL teams drawing crowds like HFX Wanderers and to see each team filled with potential CMNT level talent but I'm not going to pretend it's happening when it isn't.

So do you believe your constant posting here is helping the CPL succeed?

Edit: to be more clear. Do you believe constantly publicly questioning the validity and long term future of the CPL and it’s business model help the league succeed? Or constantly publicly questioning official attendance numbers, does that help the league succeed?

53 minutes ago, BuzzAndSting said:

So do you believe your constant posting here is helping the CPL succeed?

Edit: to be more clear. Do you believe constantly publicly questioning the validity and long term future of the CPL and it’s business model help the league succeed? Or constantly publicly questioning official attendance numbers, does that help the league succeed?

I don't think posting on a soccer forum for die hard fans who are mostly invested already is going to be what makes or breaks the CPL.

19 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

I think you can question a lot of what the league puts out, but still want it to succeed. 

Of course you can. But when 95% of what you post publicly is negative it raises questions.

I didn't ask a very complicated question and there's no way @Ozzie_the_parrot will ever answer, he hasn't in the past and I doubt he will in the future.

I appreciate your concern over my simple questions and hope I've satisfied your query.

14 minutes ago, BuzzAndSting said:

Of course you can. But when 95% of what you post publicly is negative it raises questions.

I didn't ask a very complicated question and there's no way @Ozzie_the_parrot will ever answer, he hasn't in the past and I doubt he will in the future.

I appreciate your concern over my simple questions and hope I've satisfied your query.

Oh, I know he mostly posts negative. I just think it bothers most people here more than it should. Or maybe I'm just better at largely ignoring it.

23 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

I would love to see both MLS and CanPL succeed

right... then the USL nostalgia should end.

I would love to see all CanPL teams drawing crowds like HFX Wanderers and to see each team filled with potential CMNT level talent but I'm not going to pretend it's happening when it isn't.

It's a long term project - bashing it until they get there is not very supportive. Constructive criticism and passive-aggressive bashing isn't the same

I would love to see both MLS and CanPL succeed and would like to see them cooperating closely for the greater good of Canadian soccer.

Submission doesn't equal cooperation - everyone gets that but you

Just now, Watchmen said:

Oh, I know he mostly posts negative. I just think it bothers most people here more than it should. Or maybe I'm just better at largely ignoring it.

He can believe what he wants but when new people and curious readers comes here for info on the league - I don't think some of his craziest posts should go unchallenged... not for his benefit but for those who don't know a lot about the league. 

5 hours ago, Watchmen said:

Just shake your head, call him a cunt, and move on with your day. It works for me. 😄 

• Ansem changed the title to CPL/L1C - Division II - Pro/Rel discussion