CPL/L1C - Division II - Pro/Rel discussion

Ansem

Future Division 2  

4 members have voted

1. 1. How should the second tier be established?

• League 1 Canada becomes the 2nd Tier with the best clubs from Provincial league 1s joining it?
    • Creating a brand new league (Championship) at that Tier between CPL and League 1 Canada?
    • We don't need a 2nd division
  2. 2. Should CPL clubs ever face relegation?

• Yes
    • No

On 4/28/2021 at 2:21 PM, toontownman said:

TSS Rovers maybe. Purposely not visible I expect. 

Computer, enhance image 50%!

Crap, that doesn't actually work? TSS is a good guess, definitely looks like a T first, that's about all I can see definitively. Number of letters for each "word" looks about right.

I expect, much like the CPL, it is hard to announce anything when their plans for playing in 2021 are up in the air with restrictions. Wouldn't be surprised If the rumors of clubs disagreeing on a 2021 or 22 start are true. Just hope they dont CPL it and they do start mens and womens leagues at the same time.

Interested to see what comes out of the AGM. I take it the minutes will be released somewhere?

1 hour ago, CDNFootballer said:

Don't think they release the minutes of the AGM, unlike the USSF who in the past has released reports on their meetings and puts it for all to see on their website (although it can take a few weeks/months usually). Would be nice if the CSA had more transparency and at least did something similar.

Not sure what they're responsibilities are with their funding. Maybe only members have access. I am sure you could get them if you want. I would have thought they would be obligated to if they are in part publically funded (if they are) but not sure.

On 5/2/2021 at 4:40 PM, toontownman said:

I expect, much like the CPL, it is hard to announce anything when their plans for playing in 2021 are up in the air with restrictions. Wouldn't be surprised If the rumors of clubs disagreeing on a 2021 or 22 start are true. Just hope they dont CPL it and they do start mens and womens leagues at the same time.

Interested to see what comes out of the AGM. I take it the minutes will be released somewhere?

Interview with Michele Paolucci of FC Manitoba from today (google translate)

"Now all the owners of the club are organizing to create a new independent league in Canada and we are therefore committed to the development and planning of this league. This year we will start with a sort of tournament, around Canada that will serve us to attract sponsors and our forecast is to start in 2022 to start with a real season , starting from scratch. A new and exciting project " .

https://footballnews24.it/michele-paolucci-in-esclusiva-la-juventus-un-sogno-in-un-momento-sbagliato-su-pirlo-e-ronaldo/

More info on the proposed Div II directly from an AB Soccer document:

• Men’s Western Amateur League (Canadian National League) Exhibition Series
    • Draft schedule available – 3 teams AB, 2 BC, 1 MB
    • June 5th start date
  • Women’s Western Amateur League (Canadian Women’s National League) Exhibition Series
    • Draft schedule available – 3 teams AB, 3 BC, 1 MB
    • June 16th start date
  • Dependent on travel restrictions
  • Leagues are not sanctioned by Canada Soccer yet, but exhibition games permitted

Capture.PNG

So can we assume the following?

BC: FC Tigers, Okanangan (?)

Alberta: Calgary Foothills, Edmonton Scottish, Edmonton City (BTB Soccer Academy)

Manitoba: FC Manitoba (Ital-Inter SC)

Notable absences SkSSS, Thunder Bay Chill & Whitecaps U-23 (?)

{Edit: typo fixed had meant to write FC Tigers the first time after that got clarified above}

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

4 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Notable absences SkSSS, Thunder Bay Chill & Whitecaps U-23 (?)

I expect that SkSSS would need a year to build the team, the Chill would be in the East (probably next year), and the Whitecaps U-23 might need to be available for the big club?

17 minutes ago, T_Bison said:

I expect that SkSSS would need a year to build the team, the Chill would be in the East (probably next year), and the Whitecaps U-23 might need to be available for the big club?

All MLS teams fielding U23 must join the new MLS U23 League. If Whitecaps fields a team in this league or BCL1 it will be U19

2 hours ago, CPLWoodenSpoon said:

Dunno what this means but there is two teams, one is called BC Tigers and one is called FC Tigers. FC Tigers are the one entering the CNL

It was a lame attempt at a joke from a BCer like myself.

If FC is Football Club, BC would be B....... Club. So I was asking what the....forget it....

On 5/10/2021 at 7:40 PM, CPLinsider said:

More info on the proposed Div II directly from an AB Soccer document:

• Men’s Western Amateur League (Canadian National League) Exhibition Series
    • Draft schedule available – 3 teams AB, 2 BC, 1 MB
    • June 5th start date
  • Women’s Western Amateur League (Canadian Women’s National League) Exhibition Series
    • Draft schedule available – 3 teams AB, 3 BC, 1 MB
    • June 16th start date
  • Dependent on travel restrictions
  • Leagues are not sanctioned by Canada Soccer yet, but exhibition games permitted

Capture.PNG

I may be crazy here, but as I understand that L1O and PLSQ are semi-pro (and I believe BCL1 is going that route is well) . . . how the hell would an amateur league get sanctioning as Div II if these other leagues are only Div III? 

Honestly, I feel like this whole Div II thing is being rushed - and it just doesn't look good. I'd much rather wait and let the Div III leagues build a better foundation/better coverage nation-wide before we get into creating some kind of Div II. And while I get the rationale of having exhibition games to gauge interest/drum up investors, I'd have a hard time trying toget excited about an entire tournament done this way. 

I know a lot of die-hards are convinced that Canada should have Div I, II and III with prol/rel PDQ, but I just don't think this kind of thing can be rushed. 

7 minutes ago, m-g-williams said:

I may be crazy here, but as I understand that L1O and PLSQ are semi-pro (and I believe BCL1 is going that route is well) . . . how the hell would an amateur league get sanctioning as Div II if these other leagues are only Div III? 

Honestly, I feel like this whole Div II thing is being rushed - and it just doesn't look good. I'd much rather wait and let the Div III leagues build a better foundation/better coverage nation-wide before we get into creating some kind of Div II. And while I get the rationale of having exhibition games to gauge interest/drum up investors, I'd have a hard time trying toget excited about an entire tournament done this way. 

I know a lot of die-hards are convinced that Canada should have Div I, II and III with prol/rel PDQ, but I just don't think this kind of thing can be rushed. 

It is likely also being designated a Div II to help attract more investors with capital to set up the league. I doubt these teams are a step above Oakville Blue Devils or Vaughan Azzurri in quality on the field any time soon.

• Ansem changed the title to CPL/L1C - Division II - Pro/Rel discussion