CPL/L1C - Division II - Pro/Rel discussion

Ansem

My gut tells me that this is going to be a cross-country league in the same sense that the CHL is; teams play in region-specific leagues/conferences/whatever, with the champions of each region then competing for a national title. I'm thrilled to see this happen, but I can't for the life of me picture a semi-pro team from the Lower Mainland regularly pay the travel costs of going to Ontario or Quebec for matches. 

In that same vein, I think that League 1 Canada should definitely adopt a pro-rel model, but in a closed system that rests entirely below the CPL. Keep the CPL separate and let League 1 Canada develop a lower-tier pro-rel model to help build players and develop a stronger pathway, while keeping travel and operating costs manageable. If this could turn into a Canadian equivalent of Australia's National Premier Leagues or a pro-rel version of USL C/USL League One/USL League 2, I think this could go a long way to building a stable, practical means of developing talent and increasing the level of competition without setting up clubs for financial failure.