General Discussion on CMNT

Scorpion26

55 minutes ago, Sal333 said:

In case you're not feeling great about the team, this should lift your spirits a tad.

This is making me feel some type of way. As time goes on people will look back at this qualifying campaign and see how we dominated the region, see the names of Davies, David etc. and think to themselves how this was inevitable. But we will remember how nervous were against freaking Suriname and Haiti and just how difficult it was following this team in the past. It astounds me every time I realize how rapid this rise has been.

Interesting times ahead. If tonight’s game told me one thing, without naming any names some guys who have been to a lot of camps may not be included in the WC roster.

Gotta factor in the potential newcomers as well, which might bump guys off completely with a promise of looking forward to 26”. 

Edited by Shway

Will be a very interesting next 6 months . Starting with Friday's draw , We will see who we meet up against  mark my word there will not be any easy opponents in Qatar So we be better have our A game . I will be very interested in some of the players who are kind of on the bubble on making this team how will they  perform with there clubs in the next few months. Look for players like Edwards, Piette, Millar etc . Hopefully this success in Qualifying will help with attendece at CPL games and MLS games too 

50 minutes ago, Cblake said:

Man even with all the excitement Canada drops 5 spots in the latest FIFA ranking from 33 to 38. 

Canada No. 38 latest FIFA rankings - TSN.ca

Meh, we're done with the Pots now. Fifa rankings are once more meaningless bullshit until the 2030 cycle, always said I preferred CONCACAF rankings 😂

21 minutes ago, EJsens1 said:

Hopefully. I can’t see Brazil agreeing to play on field turf though (aside from the money they’ll want for appearing).

BMO Field solves that problem. You can two in that break. Get one of those match agents involved and the financial obligations could be lessoned. Guess it depends on what the CSA want to do from a business perspective. 

Just now, Cblake said:

BMO Field solves that problem. You can two in that break. Get one of those match agents involved and the financial obligations could be lessoned. Guess it depends on what the CSA want to do from a business perspective. 

I realize that. My point is more the people across the rest of the country who will feel slighted again by the CMNT not moving around enough. 

5 minutes ago, EJsens1 said:

I realize that. My point is more the people across the rest of the country who will feel slighted again by the CMNT not moving around enough. 

The reality is we likely won't see anything out west until after November. Everything until then is about what is the team wants and is best for them. It is the reason the US match was played in freezing Hamilton vs the comfort of BC Place. The CSA has given Vancouver and Victoria the Gold Medal Women's celebration matches because of this. Those will be some good matches to enjoy too. 

48 minutes ago, EJsens1 said:

To those people all I can say is: Grass.

I wouldn't be surprised to see us play some European based friendlies as well, hoping we get at least on marquee nation playing in Toronto over the summer though. But I'd expect to see Nations League played in Vancouver and one other venue (Ottawa/Montreal) in June

8 minutes ago, BearcatSA said:

So where is this notion coming from about getting a marquee home friendly over the summer? 

Including CNL, how many matches will we be having prior to Qatar?

Well, the above tweet about Argentina and Mexico playing one another (assuming they aren’t in the same group) soon just put the idea out there for people wondering if we might.

For some reason, I seem to recall a couple months ago there being some speculation about Canada trying to entice a South American country into a game though.

2 hours ago, Cblake said:

The reality is we likely won't see anything out west until after November. Everything until then is about what is the team wants and is best for them. It is the reason the US match was played in freezing Hamilton vs the comfort of BC Place. The CSA has given Vancouver and Victoria the Gold Medal Women's celebration matches because of this. Those will be some good matches to enjoy too. 

I wouldn't take that home to the bank just yet. 

First of all, doing what's best for the team is of the upmost importance when WCQ on the line, but with that sealed up now I have my doubts it's as big of a factor as before. Nations League will likely be the final testing ground for players looking to play their way onto the team, so I expect a different group that's probably less picky about where we are playing. We could be looking at many new players for this window, some of which could be earning their first caps. The "team" may not have a preference here, or even as much of a say in the matter. 

This is also an opportunity for the CSA to bring more games out to the West. Play in a bigger stadium and perhaps squeeze more money out of a bigger BC Place. Just a thought. 

The other thing is that if we want to play high profile friendlies to prep for the world cup, they won't likely be on Turf. If they are in Canada at all they'll probably be at BMO or possibly Saputo. Therefore, you are essentially suggesting the West wait until after the world cup to see the team play again. I would be surprised if that happens. 

My guess is two games out west for Nations League will be marketed as part of the celebration tour, and any other pre-world cup games played in Canada will be going to Toronto/Montreal (grass) and will be marketed as part of the celebration tour as well.

By the way, I don't think the Women's celebration tour is in any way the CSA making up for the West not getting CMNT. That's almost disrespectful to the women's team to suggest the locations of their celebration games are being used as a make-weight for appeasing fans of the men's team. Secondly, they already had 2 games out east, so they were always going to have 2 games out west to complete the tour. Nothing to do with appeasing the West Coast. 

Edited by Obinna

29 minutes ago, Obinna said:

I wouldn't take that home to the bank just yet. 

First of all, doing what's best for the team is of the upmost importance when WCQ on the line, but with that sealed up now I have my doubts it's as big of a factor as before. Nations League will likely be the final testing ground for players looking to play their way onto the team, so I expect a different group that's probably less picky about where we are playing. We could be looking at many new players for this window, some of which could be earning their first caps. The "team" may not have a preference here, or even as much of a say in the matter. 

This is also an opportunity for the CSA to bring more games out to the West. Play in a bigger stadium and perhaps squeeze more money out of a bigger BC Place. Just a thought. 

The other thing is that if we want to play high profile friendlies to prep for the world cup, they won't likely be on Turf. If they are in Canada at all they'll probably be at BMO or possibly Saputo. Therefore, you are essentially suggesting the West wait until after the world cup to see the team play again. I would be surprised if that happens. 

My guess is two games out west for Nations League and any other pre-world cup games in Canada going to Toronto/Montreal.

By the way, I don't think the Women's celebration tour is in any way the CSA making up for the West not getting CMNT. That's almost disrespectful to the women's team to suggest the locations of their celebration games are being used as a make-weight for appeasing fans of the men's team. Secondly, they already had 2 games out east, so they were always going to have 2 games out west to complete the tour. Nothing to do with appeasing the West Coast. 

There is more money to be made in Toronto right now, its a big even place as North America's 4th largest city. The media exposure can not be underestimated here. Also the TFC training ground is second to none that would be at for the week. You can have the players on the morning show talk circuit. The can not let this opportunity to pass them buy. Look at the difference in ticket pricing too, most expensive at BMO last Sunday was $250, Hamilton was $175 and Edmonton was $60. A lot of it will also come down what they are able to setup in terms of a friendly in the second week of the double break. The opening game at home is against a second pot opponent: Panama, Jamaica, El Salvador, Honduras. The minnow is the road match.

Here is also something to consider the 2020 Canadian Championship between TFC and Forge is on June 4th at THF, could they place the game there as it will be all set with the CSA branding already. Its turf so no pitch consideration there. Makes sense in a way.