CPL new teams speculation

1 minute ago, BearcatSA said:

Which is kind of like what the Caps are doing with their cross Canada training centres.

I am curious to see if new ownership possbilities in this league are going to feature substantial foreign investment involved.

You have got to think that if you had a better tv deal, then all sponsors would be happier. And more would consider coming in.

The ones currently involved, what did they get from One Soccer? An extra 10,000 watching along with the 3000 in the stadium? And then the few hundred who watched highlights? Very thin grounds for decent sponsorship deals. 

9 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

You have got to think that if you had a better tv deal, then all sponsors would be happier. And more would consider coming in.

The ones currently involved, what did they get from One Soccer? An extra 10,000 watching along with the 3000 in the stadium? And then the few hundred who watched highlights? Very thin grounds for decent sponsorship deals. 

It goes back to the "how do I make money?" quote that I reference.  

Completely out there, probably impractical, probably with a lot of negatives, idea I had to solve the now on record concern about league expansion and need for geographic conferences to limit travel expenses.

Given one significant complaint about conferences is the repetitiveness of playing the same teams multiple times, what if we brought in each L1C champion. Matches against L1C teams count for the CPL table, but the L1C teams won't be playing a full schedule of matches, won't formally be part of the CanPL, won't participate in the playoffs, and won't be part of the CSB.

Let's say we had expanded to 10 CPL teams when we do this, and L1 Central and L1 Atlantic have launched. Each conference will have 5 CPL teams and 3 L1C teams. So, East = Windsor, Forge, York, Ottawa, Halifax, Simcoe (L1O), Saint Laurent (L1Q), Moncton (L1A). The CPL teams will play their non-L1C conference rivals 3 times (12 matches total), the L1C teams in their conference 2 times (6 matches total), and their non-L1C interconference rivals 2 times (10 matches total).

CPL clubs get a larger variety of opponents, can claim representation in Quebec, minimizes travel expenses, expands league without having to cut down on their CSB revenue
L1C clubs get to showcase club and players, get to test the waters for CPL attendances, more manageable travel expenses given it's only 5 away matches in destinations mostly reachable by bus. This is also probably the closest we'll probably get to pro/rel and may lead to more investments in L1C so we have more SCR/TSS-level clubs.

Some issues might include: needing to create more incentive for L1C clubs participating otherwise these matches vs CPL clubs would be glorified friendlies - albeit with higher stakes (televised, players in shop window, bigger crowds), having to fit 10 more matches to an already tight L1C calendar, having many teams unwilling or unable to afford even 5 away matches, cheapening CPL's professional status and image... but personally, I'd be excited if they were willing to try something like this as someone who never cared much for parity.

I mean a table like this would be pretty great, a proper filled out league:

On 2/11/2024 at 9:19 PM, yellowsweatygorilla said:

Completely out there, probably impractical, probably with a lot of negatives, idea I had to solve the now on record concern about league expansion and need for geographic conferences to limit travel expenses.

Given one significant complaint about conferences is the repetitiveness of playing the same teams multiple times, what if we brought in each L1C champion. Matches against L1C teams count for the CPL table, but the L1C teams won't be playing a full schedule of matches, won't formally be part of the CanPL, won't participate in the playoffs, and won't be part of the CSB.

Let's say we had expanded to 10 CPL teams when we do this, and L1 Central and L1 Atlantic have launched. Each conference will have 5 CPL teams and 3 L1C teams. So, East = Windsor, Forge, York, Ottawa, Halifax, Simcoe (L1O), Saint Laurent (L1Q), Moncton (L1A). The CPL teams will play their non-L1C conference rivals 3 times (12 matches total), the L1C teams in their conference 2 times (6 matches total), and their non-L1C interconference rivals 2 times (10 matches total).

CPL clubs get a larger variety of opponents, can claim representation in Quebec, minimizes travel expenses, expands league without having to cut down on their CSB revenue
L1C clubs get to showcase club and players, get to test the waters for CPL attendances, more manageable travel expenses given it's only 5 away matches in destinations mostly reachable by bus. This is also probably the closest we'll probably get to pro/rel and may lead to more investments in L1C so we have more SCR/TSS-level clubs.

Some issues might include: needing to create more incentive for L1C clubs participating otherwise these matches vs CPL clubs would be glorified friendlies - albeit with higher stakes (televised, players in shop window, bigger crowds), having to fit 10 more matches to an already tight L1C calendar, having many teams unwilling or unable to afford even 5 away matches, cheapening CPL's professional status and image... but personally, I'd be excited if they were willing to try something like this as someone who never cared much for parity.

Interesting proposal, perhaps hard to get everyone to agree. But one thing that would be similar, would be the provincial SA organising a cup, or a final four. It would not be too unusual. Many regions in Spain do this, in some other European countries, the regional FA does its own cup. They don't include the top clubs but from a certain level down. 

On 2/11/2024 at 12:19 PM, yellowsweatygorilla said:

No thanks

5 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Interesting proposal, perhaps hard to get everyone to agree. But one thing that would be similar, would be the provincial SA organising a cup, or a final four. It would not be too unusual. Many regions in Spain do this, in some other European countries, the regional FA does its own cup. They don't include the top clubs but from a certain level down. 

Yea, Brazil's structure has always interested me ... but sadly they seem to be moving away from that.

On 2/11/2024 at 3:19 PM, yellowsweatygorilla said:

I approve of your mock standings having York United at the top of the table. As a York United fan, thanks for that.

As for the proposal, it's an interesting idea. Another negative is that it is hard to explain. You invite someone to a game, they ask who the opposition is, and you explain that although it's a league game, the opposing team isn't in the league.

I feel like the WHA did a similar thing back in the 70's, where there were some exhibition games against national teams that counted towards the standings. I have no idea how that was received by fans back in the day. It was done for a couple seasons before the league folded and 4 teams got absorbed into the NHL.

1 hour ago, Kent said:

I approve of your mock standings having York United at the top of the table. As a York United fan, thanks for that.

As for the proposal, it's an interesting idea. Another negative is that it is hard to explain. You invite someone to a game, they ask who the opposition is, and you explain that although it's a league game, the opposing team isn't in the league.

I feel like the WHA did a similar thing back in the 70's, where there were some exhibition games against national teams that counted towards the standings. I have no idea how that was received by fans back in the day. It was done for a couple seasons before the league folded and 4 teams got absorbed into the NHL.

Interesting, will have to look that up re: WHA.

Certainly good point in terms of the importance of keeping things simple - considering this sport in itself is new for the people we are trying to bring into the fold. In Hong Kong, in order to fill out the league after financial troubles led to a number of clubs self-relegating, the HKFA just funded their own team made up of youth players that were unwanted by other clubs ... but even that would be unfeasible with our geography.

I do wonder if some of the L1C clubs, if they didn't need to pay expansion fees or upgrade their facilities or have a professional squad, could afford a full CanPL season in a conference set-up. I suspect some may be able to given the initial plans for the Canadian National League as a second division. I wonder if CSB would be willing to forego facilities requirements and expansion fees to have 4-6 L1C teams join CPL but without allowing them to join CSB and the associated revenues (at least until they can afford the fee and have their stadium meet requirements). ..if there was enough interest/feasibility, they could even do pro/rel except only have it apply to these L1C clubs.

• 2 weeks later...
19 minutes ago, BearcatSA said:

What the Trois Rivieres Journal of Sports and Gaming?  

In a follow up tweet the poster admitted that paper doesn't exist. But didn't clarify the rumour.

Going through his feed it looks like Halifax, Quebec City, London and Kelowna are all possible CFL expansion cities.

Even possibly Victoria.

I don't follow CFL so I have no clue

2 hours ago, narduch said:

In a follow up tweet the poster admitted that paper doesn't exist. But didn't clarify the rumour.

Going through his feed it looks like Halifax, Quebec City, London and Kelowna are all possible CFL expansion cities.

Even possibly Victoria.

In other words, their twitter handle should be #talkinoutofmyass

18 hours ago, narduch said:

Even possibly Victoria.

The only cities to have actual CFL expansion noise around them are Halifax and Quebec.  Anything else is, I think, someone's early April Fools joke.  Not that London wouldn't be a good city for the CPL to look at.

Anywhere can theoretically be a CFL expansion location - none of them are economically viable for the league they've created. A $25M expansion fee is an easy way to never see that $25M again.

London is probably where the Argonauts should end up if they ever get punted out of Toronto. They'd probably do better there these days.

Edited by Mihairokov

Just now, Mihairokov said:

Anywhere can theoretically be a CFL expansion location - none of them are economically viable for the league they've created. A $25M expansion fee is an easy way to never see that $25M again.

London is probably where the Argonauts should end up if they ever get punted out of Toronto. They'd probably do better there these days.

I'm guessing that's where they will play during the World Cup

21 minutes ago, Mihairokov said:

It's the same for Surrey vs Downtown Vancouver for the Lions.

19 minutes ago, narduch said:

I'm guessing that's where they will play during the World Cup

I thought the reason it cost $300 million to host five whole games in Toronto was the necessity of switching between soccer and football configurations to accommodate the Argos.

6 minutes ago, Kingston said:

I thought the reason it cost $300 million to host five whole games in Toronto was the necessity of switching between soccer and football configurations to accommodate the Argos.

I think that just means they take it apart after.

FIFA demands their venues aren't used for anything else during the tournament.

10 hours ago, nolando said:

It's the same for Surrey vs Downtown Vancouver for the Lions.

Didn't Lions attendance pick up considerably last season? I thought there were games they opened the upper bowl.

I'm not saying downtown Vancouver is CFL demographic like the valley would be, just wondering if they would really benefit in a 25,000 Surrey stadium, for example.

Didn't we once hear someone in Surrey musing about getting a NFL team?

3 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Didn't Lions attendance pick up considerably last season? I thought there were games they opened the upper bowl.

I'm not saying downtown Vancouver is CFL demographic like the valley would be, just wondering if they would really benefit in a 25,000 Surrey stadium, for example.

Didn't we once hear someone in Surrey musing about getting a NFL team?

I'm convinced their fan base is 80%+ non-Vancouver (east of Vancouver in particular) and would be a perfect fit in Surrey. Just speculation on my part, though.

1 hour ago, nolando said:

I'm convinced their fan base is 80%+ non-Vancouver (east of Vancouver in particular) and would be a perfect fit in Surrey. Just speculation on my part, though.

Probably true. The only Lions fans I know in Vancouver are guys older than me, white, many from prairie stock. And absolutely uninterested in soccer.

I wonder if the presence of VFC, and also the basketball team in Langley, could be jumping off points for something more ambitious in Surrey. 

Edited by Unnamed Trialist