Toronto CPL

madmonte

On 6/13/2017 at 10:30 AM, Complete Homer said:

Helps to avoid calling it Tier 2 in the first place :)

Well this will be a topic issue from now on as to how to describe it. We can't ostrich our way out of how casuals will want to simplify structure.

I have the greatest respect for this leagues endeavor.

Edited by Fort York Redcoat

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
31 minutes ago, mpg_29 said:

Assuming the translation's correct, a lot of the details sound like bullshit or at the very least the authors don't really understand where the league is at, but i suppose it doesn't eliminate the possibility that the group is real. The article states that the CPL will be "like MLS" and claims that the league will start next spring and will have a draft for Canadian players in January or February. Probably the most sketchy thing about the article is that it claims the Toronto club will play at BMO Field.

Federico Turriziani, who is currently the director of Empire Canada Soccer Academy is supposedly going to be "guiding" the group. He has a UEFA B licence and was once an assistant coach with Empoli, a youth coach with Cesena, a youth coach with York Region Shooters and head coach of Katane Soccer, a farm club of Atalanta. He was most recently head coach of Centese Calcio in Italy (a tier 7 amateur club) before taking the academy job last year.

Frankly Turriziani doesn't sound like a very notable figure and the article doesn't mention any of the actual owners, so I'm pretty skeptical. It kind of sounds to me like the writers heard "the league will be like MLS" and extrapolated from there. The article also talks about a lot of things regarding the league that we know are still uncertain (from Beirne's recent interview) as if they were basically set in stone.

Edited by Zem

This is part of what Google Translate provides for that link:

The project began officially on May 6, 2017, at the time confirmed affiliations are Hamilton and Winnipeg. But even Vancouver, Calgary, and Ottawa think of forming a professional football team. Like Toronto, but not through the second team of "Giovinco" franchise. The idea of the league, in fact, is to have no youth teams or club club reserves that militate in MLS. And Toronto could be represented by the Argonauts, Canadian football franchise. And just in Toronto could train an Italian, Federico Turriziani, who overseas drives the Empire Canada Soccer Academy: "It's true, there were contacts. The new situation could come to fruition as well as jump. Canadian football, I had an interview with the Argonauts: they are interested in having me as a coach. "

Looks to me like a way for Federico Turrizani to remind people in Italy that he is still alive and make them think he might be worth hiring there. What he doesn't seem to realize is that the Argos are owned by 2/3rds of TFC's ownership, so are not likely to be in the market for a rival soccer team to TFC.

Edited by BringBackTheBlizzard

2 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

This is what google translate provides:

The project began officially on May 6, 2017, at the time confirmed affiliations are Hamilton and Winnipeg. But even Vancouver, Calgary, and Ottawa think of forming a professional football team. Like Toronto, but not through the second team of "Giovinco" franchise. The idea of the league, in fact, is to have no youth teams or club club reserves that militate in MLS. And Toronto could be represented by the Argonauts, Canadian football franchise. And just in Toronto could train an Italian, Federico Turriziani, who overseas drives the Empire Canada Soccer Academy: "It's true, there were contacts. The new situation could come to fruition as well as jump. Canadian football, I had an interview with the Argonauts: they are interested in having me as a coach. "

Looks to me like a way for Federico Turrizani to remind people in Italy that he is still alive and make them think he might be worth hiring there. What he doesn't seem to realize is that the Argos are owned by 2/3rds of TFC's ownership, so are not likely to be in the market for a rival soccer team to TFC.

that a pretty direct statement though..

We'll find out if there is any truth to this soon enough as I am sure the likes of Rollins, Totera and maybe even Kurt Larson will be all over something like this.

some of the rest:

The hitches?
"Well, there are bureaucratic problems linked to the presence of two squads." Toronto wanted to deploy the squad reserves, but the League is not of this opinion, as we always have different interests, we will see who can win. "

Are the Canadian teams militating in MLS or USL not interested?
"They would also be interested, but as I said before, with teams under 23 or reserves, but the Canadian Premier League wants only first teams."

Edited by BringBackTheBlizzard

6 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

So it's speculative, basically. Turriziani apparently wants to start a team but doesn't actually have any kind of ownership group behind him.

I'm not saying it's true...but if you are the TFC owners and you start thinking about the scenarios in which CPL team(s) are coming to Toronto whether you own one or not....you might rather own one and have as much control of the pro soccer market in Toronto as you can

From a business perspective think of when Best Buy and Futureshop had stores right next to each other...ultimately they didn't care which one you went to as it was the same parent company.

You know what would be the biggest troll job ever? Form a club called FC Toronto with a red home kit that plays out of BMO Field. Just modify everything from the crest to the colours ever so slightly to avoid litigation from MLSE.

Edited by Macksam

CPL is coming and that's a fact. So MLSE can either accept having a competitor in its backyard or use one of its subdivisions to start a CPL club so the entire Toronto market remains there's.

That strategy gas been done to death in the business world. CPL would never accept TFC brass to be near the CPL team but MLSE can create a separate division or use the Argos to run that team.

People think that MLSE micromanage, MLSE wants the money for their shareholders. That's all they care about. If acquiring and running a CPL team brings them more money, why would they oppose running it? 

3 hours ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

It seems like they think that "football" means "football".

I can't wait to see the Argos as part of the CPL.

9 minutes ago, Ansem said:

CPL is coming and that's a fact. So MLSE can either accept having a competitor in its backyard or use one of its subdivisions to start a CPL club so the entire Toronto market remains there's.

That strategy gas been done to death in the business world. CPL would never accept TFC brass to be near the CPL team but MLSE can create a separate division or use the Argos to run that team.

People think that MLSE micromanage, MLSE wants the money for their shareholders. That's all they care about. If acquiring and running a CPL team brings them more money, why would they oppose running it? 

yeah basically what I was saying..essentially they'd own it to maintain control of the market..

But even if they set up a separate division or use the Argos to run the team I don't see how CPL could be convinced that there wouldn't be coordination..