Toronto CPL

madmonte

1 hour ago, BrennanFan said:

MLSE owning the Toronto CPL team would be a disaster.  I hope Beirne isnt that stupid.  

I think he's angled it well. He's basically saying the league has a decade to learn to stand on its own. If it can't do that after ten years, they'll consider other arrangements, which must include considering transitioning to an AHL/USL-esque mixed farm/independent league. Seems reasonable to me

Edited by Complete Homer

1 hour ago, Gopherbashi said:

League1 Cup is August 6th, just saying...

I'd be game to go if I can get out of work at a decent time. Was gonna say Aug 1 to actually chat stuff over and try to spread the gospel of CPL beyond our main circles.

On 2017/07/20 at 1:38 AM, Blackjack15 said:

I remember hearing the Canadian Premier League was going to avoid MLS Markets! 

If this is related to the Italian media story, I am sure it would have been picked up by now by somebody in the Canadian media, if there were any truth to it, so it is best filed under ignore at this point.

Edited by BringBackTheBlizzard

• 4 weeks later...

Just got an email from Manning and co that the team is moving to downtown for 2018, with some games to be played at Lamport.

Awesome move for TFC II. Will quickly say that I've seen many of you Toronto CPL fans hoping for Lamport as a venue for a possible team, if/whenever that may be. A little Manning power play, I'd think for sure.

15 minutes ago, ironcub14 said:

Just got an email from Manning and co that the team is moving to downtown for 2018, with some games to be played at Lamport.

Awesome move for TFC II. Will quickly say that I've seen many of you Toronto CPL fans hoping for Lamport as a venue for a possible team, if/whenever that may be. A little Manning power play, I'd think for sure.

Does Toronto have to make city contracts available to the public like Vancouver does? Would be real telling if Manning got exclusive use of the stadium of soccer events. 

1 hour ago, ironcub14 said:

Might be a play to get TFC II to stay in USL D2 instead of being forced on D3.

Can't be worse than status quo

August 14th, 2017 e-mail to me as I'm a TFC II season ticket holder:  

Dear TFC II Season Ticket Members,

I’m writing today to let you know that next season TFC II will be relocating from the Ontario Soccer Centre to downtown Toronto. The City of Vaughan and Ontario Soccer Centre have been valuable partners and supporters of the club the last three seasons and TFC would like to thank everyone for their support. I would also like to thank you, our Season Ticket Members, for your support of our Young Reds.

The venue for the 2018 season has not been finalized but we do know TFC II will be playing home games at BMO Field and Lamport Stadium and we look forward to seeing you there. For any questions regarding this move please contact Alex Adamo at Alex.Adamo@mlse.com or 416-815-5313.

Thanks again for your continued support and we hope to see you at TFC II’s next home match on Wednesday, August 30th vs. Saint Louis FC.

All For One,

Bill Manning
President

Inconvenient for me as more 90+ minute TTC commutes each way rather than a 30 minute drive. 

Edited by Rocket Robin

1 hour ago, Rocket Robin said:

August 14th, 2017 e-mail to me as I'm a TFC II season ticket holder:  

Dear TFC II Season Ticket Members,

I’m writing today to let you know that next season TFC II will be relocating from the Ontario Soccer Centre to downtown Toronto. The City of Vaughan and Ontario Soccer Centre have been valuable partners and supporters of the club the last three seasons and TFC would like to thank everyone for their support. I would also like to thank you, our Season Ticket Members, for your support of our Young Reds.

The venue for the 2018 season has not been finalized but we do know TFC II will be playing home games at BMO Field and Lamport Stadium and we look forward to seeing you there. For any questions regarding this move please contact Alex Adamo at Alex.Adamo@mlse.com or 416-815-5313.

Thanks again for your continued support and we hope to see you at TFC II’s next home match on Wednesday, August 30th vs. Saint Louis FC.

All For One,

Bill Manning
President

Inconvenient for me as more 90+ minute TTC commutes each way rather than a 30 minute drive. 

Smart move...ahould have been done years ago.

2 hours ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

Or it could just be about complying with the USSF's D2 sanctioning requirements, so they don't get bumped to the new USL D3 that is starting in 2019.

That is what I think as well. There was that story about a USL reserve side not wanting to me move to D3.

Regardless of who plays at Lamport, TFC couldn't block a CPL team from playing there. Heck, you can even go on the City of Toronto website and book Lamport right now.  My long term daydream is that the Wolfpack build a new stadium in partnership with a CPL club.  

Another scenario would be that if TFC II are at Lamport, the OSA Soccer Centre becomes available for a suburban GTA CPL franchise. That would be the ideal opportunity for somebody from Woodbridge to kick some life back into the tradition of Toronto Italia or maybe it's a couple of decades too late for that now? A Lazio themed team was rumoured to be Gerry Gentile's plan when he was pushing CUSL about 15 years ago, but he later did a bit of a U-turn on whether a domestic pro league was even a good idea.

http://v1.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20081106.WBsoccerblog20081106142249/WBStory/WBsoccerblog

6 hours ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

Or it could just be about complying with the USSF's D2 sanctioning requirements, so they don't get bumped to the new USL D3 that is starting in 2019.

Agreed, but I think you can easily edit the "Or" in the beginning of your sentence into an "And".

I said above, it's a really good move for TFC II overall. SSH for TFC II here 5 minutes after it was first released to the public, happy overall. All about growing pro soccer all throughout Canada, as I know you said you are yesterday.

There's a number of other great locations for a CPL Toronto team to pop up on, I'd hope, if/when it ever does come to Toronto.

Edited by ironcub14

A quick note about USL D3 by the way. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, maybe we can read that article from Oklahoma City again, but there has only been one article ever published that's ever said that some USL owners would be interested in having reserve teams pushed down to USL D3.

The league itself though has consistently maintained that reserve teams will stay in USL D2. I've been following a bunch of USL and USL D3 accounts on Twitter, and feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but I think a lot of you incorrectly believe that the league itself wants to push reserve teams down to USL D3, perhaps because that's what you'd like to see yourself.

I personally think it's a great thing for Ontario soccer development that a bunch of Ontario local boys have been playing at USL level for the TFC reserves for the past 2.5 years. I'm going to assume those of you who say that reserve teams will be pushed down to USL D3 know what markets have been discussed for the league exactly. I do know BBTB knows.

Edited by ironcub14

On 14/08/2017 at 0:52 PM, BrennanFan said:

I like the idea but I would like there to be meetings before this to bring more attention to the CPL in Toronto beyond the circle we have and I'd also think it would be great if we reached out to non-Canadian soccer groups in the city cause there are dozens of them and some might be interested

12 hours ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

Another scenario would be that if TFC II are at Lamport, the OSA Soccer Centre becomes available for a suburban GTA CPL franchise. That would be the ideal opportunity for somebody from Woodbridge to kick some life back into the tradition of Toronto Italia or maybe it's a couple of decades too late for that now? A Lazio themed team was rumoured to be Gerry Gentile's plan when he was pushing CUSL about 15 years ago, but he later did a bit of a U-turn on whether a domestic pro league was even a good idea.

http://v1.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20081106.WBsoccerblog20081106142249/WBStory/WBsoccerblog

Soccer Centre has max around 1500 on aluminum stands, port a potties, no concessions except for food trucks that park before the stands.    OSC would need a lot of work to bring it up to 5000-8000 Can Prem standards.