Toronto CPL

madmonte

19 hours ago, Macksam said:

We'll put the name to a vote on the 30'th to settle it. I have a few options ready to go.

1) The Cronenbergs 

2) The Keanus 

3) The Cord Cutters

4) The Cancers 

Not really sure there needs to be a definitive vote on a "name" until we get other questions settled. I'm just hoping for a decent amount of people to show up and get an airing of the various views on how to best drum up a good critical mass of supporters to back a Toronto CPL Club. In that same vein, I'm almost done work out here in Halifax, but I'm still 50/50 on whether I can make it for the 30th. I hope someone takes the lead on making rough minutes of the meeting for the benefit of those who can't make it.

Edited by johnluckpickherd

2 hours ago, johnluckpickherd said:

Not really sure there needs to be a definitive vote on a "name" until we get other questions settled. I'm just hoping for a decent amount of people to show up and get an airing of the various views on how to best drum up a good critical mass of supporters to back a Toronto CPL Club. In that same vein, I'm almost done work out here in Halifax, but I'm still 50/50 on whether I can make it for the 30th. I hope someone takes the lead on making rough minutes of the meeting for the benefit of those who can't make it.

I do make rough minutes for those who can't attend.

Some of us have met and talked and do have a general idea of what is needed to move forward. This meeting should be about catching the new people but instead is being treated like the first meeting.

Edited by matty

I noticed, based on following the CPL Toronto discussions where I can on the different platforms, that we have a wide range of different groups of supporters coming together for this exciting prospect.

I can see on this thread that there are some guys here who, those who I know as friends, though they haven't been involved much with Toronto SGs for a multitude of good various reasons, are galvanized by the prospects of CPL in Toronto and have become more mobilized, on this thread, on twitter, fb, reddit, in person, etc. 

I also see on this thread, and also on twitter and facebook, that there is a lot of excitement about CPL Toronto from those who have spent and continue to spend a ton of time and effort into supporting TFC and Canada as part of the V's or one of the Toronto SGs. I'm sure there's a ton of CPL chatter going on at the pubs before and after TFC matches as well.

What we're seeing now is all these numbers of supporters coming together for a great cause, and I think we will need as many people and as much cooperation as possible to make CPL Toronto supporters heard in the city and across the country, both online and offline. And we need to understand that we are all coming from different backgrounds, but united by the single goal of making CPL work in this city right here. 

Hope that the meeting on the 30th is just one of many steps in bringing all of us CPL supporters in Toronto more and more together. It's great that a group has evolved out of this thread, and that just adds positively to the Toronto football landscape, which has had about 5 SGs usually at a given time and can always accommodate more. But it's also important to note and respect the fact that there's already been a massive amount of work done by the TFC SGs to help football grow here in Toronto for many years. 

With all this knowledge and enthusiasm coming together, I think the future looks bright for CPL in Toronto. 

And I can kinda say all this looking at this broadly kinda from an outsider perspective, what with my Ottawa avi and all :)

But having moved here recently, and having met and being welcomed warmly by the V's and the TFC SGs here, and also seeing a lot of CPL excitement on twitter and other platforms, I can kinda see where some of you guys are coming from. Not all, just the guys I know in here personally. There's lots of good folks in here and it's cool to see it coming more and more together. 

On 5/20/2017 at 10:08 AM, rob.notenboom said:

Please excuse the 'dad lecture', but if you Toronto folks aren't going into your meeting with the commitment to figure out and do what's best for CanPL soccer in Toronto front of mind, then you're going into the meeting with the wrong idea. If your principle concern is who was here first or who started this thing or who already has an established group, these are the things that make the process more difficult.

This is meant in the most positive way possible btw. I know tons of people in Toronto who will want to be in a CanPL SG (if and when there's a team) and they are all fabulous people ... not joking ... everyone. But I've also seen outstanding people get pulled apart by petty concerns. And especially at the beginning of this, it's just not worth it. Go in with an open mind. Have a big tent mentality. Check your egos at the door. It's cliche to say, but we really are all in this together.

preach rob.

the most important thing is finding mutual ground.

this shit is more important than any one of us

51 minutes ago, yellowsweatygorilla said:

Unfortunately, still too busy to attend the meeting. Please keep those of us not available posted - maybe have minutes posted here? Hope to meet everyone soon, maybe at an upcoming L1O game? Had a great time watching Vaughan Azzuri's opener this year - so I will throw that team out as a suggestion.

-Ed

Will post the minutes here as soon as I can again.

I'm at the far end and couldn't hear much with some women talking about their salads and the Motown music playing too loud.

I only stayed an hour than continued on to the swimming pool but did come down to your end to ask who was the billionaire who stood up and said "I'm financing the team!"--didn't happen.  . 

And I was marking out recognizing David Barrie as the referee in the Montreal v Vancouver game. 

Edited by Rocket Robin