Toronto CPL

madmonte

45 minutes ago, zeelaw1555362314 said:

Anything very interesting discussed? Or just a general meet up, and sharing excitement?

Off the record chatting, figuring how the Toronto support should go, planning a L1O visit and now reaching out to Mississauga supporter's for the game on the 30th

NTSC, nice! Awesome choice, considering they're playing at Varsity, and their presence in all leagues and divisions in Ontario. I played for them before as well, it's a great organizaion. 

I watched one of their games on Livestream this year and trying to imagine CPL in Varsity. Had to say though that the running track did dampen the enthusiasm a bit, so I'm curious now as to how extensive the renos at Lamport will be. 

Anyways, bravo. 

One thing that Rollins mentioned on Soccer Today yesterday abount the meeting was that Jamie MacLeod from The Voyageurs is "engaging in an activity that will allow him to create a blanket umbrella organization for supporters of the CPL across the country" to show unity and interest for the project to potential sponsor, TV, owners, etc.

I've been hearing some chatter about Port Credit in Ssauga from some of you guys here and on FB/twitter. I haven't been following it much but I came across this article today and thought I'd share it for any of you interested in it. It does seem like a sick spot for a stadium that the Ssauga CPL supporters on FB seem to love, with it being on the lakeshore, and just one major street away from downtown.

http://east.morningblueprint.com/en/2017/06/01/West-Village-Partners-unveils-Port-Credit-development-plan.html

Edited by ironcub14

On 6/1/2017 at 7:47 AM, Rheo said:

One thing that Rollins mentioned on Soccer Today yesterday abount the meeting was that Jamie MacLeod from The Voyageurs is "engaging in an activity that will allow him to create a blanket umbrella organization for supporters of the CPL across the country" to show unity and interest for the project to potential sponsor, TV, owners, etc.

Single Entity League and Supporters Groups hahahah jk jk jk

Took a little walk this morning, and saw that Lamport was open (must be a Wolf Pack game today) and took some pictures. Ive always wanted to see what the inside facilities was like, so today by coincidence was my lucky day.

With some renovations this stadium would be the perfect home for Toronto CanPL and the Wolfpack.  With it being located in the Liberty Village this stadium could be a real gem in the city, that could host multiple events as an outdoor intimate facility.

PICTURES OF LAMPORT STADIUM

Edited by Jahinho Guerro

MLSE manage Lamport stadium and have already made it clear that they would not welcome the presence of a CPL franchise in the GTA. That makes a non-TFC pro soccer tenant a long shot at best. Don't think there are any easy answers on where a Toronto-branded CPL team would play if TFC are not involved. After decades of municipal level politicians doing their best to steer people towards baseball, football and hockey, the major issue that pro soccer has always faced in Canada has been finding suitable venues. The use of marked fieldturf at most university stadia has actually made things worse than they were in the original CSL era in the late 1980s when a natural grass stadium of some description would usually be readily available in most citiies with no gridiron lines from May to August even if there would still be issues with field width and crowns.

Edited by BringBackTheBlizzard

I don't see bench seats as a problem, remember Lamport was built in the 1970's as a soccer stadium, they need to build better concessions, maybe a better press box and renovate the change rooms, it's a perfect size stadium for a CPL franchise in Toronto and if full or close to full the atmosphere would be pretty good. 

9 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

MLSE manage Lamport stadium and have already made it clear that they would not welcome the presence of a CPL franchise in the GTA. That makes a non-TFC pro soccer tenant a long shot at best. Don't think there are any easy answers on where a Toronto-branded CPL team would play if TFC

Lamport is a municipally owned facilities that loses money. MLSE would not be able to turn away money that would be going to city. 

MLSE doesn't manage the day to day of Lamport, just the offseason bubble usage.

I don't think they can do anything about stopping a potential tenant from making a deal with the city to pay rent and move in.

That being said I do think as I stated above that it could use some upgrades.

Your right that the biggest problem for a Toronto CPL team is venue.  Lamport is the closest fit and after that it's York or Varsity.  Neither of those facilities are exactly ideal either.

2 minutes ago, Greatest Cockney Rip Off said:

Lamport is a municipally owned facilities that loses money. MLSE would not be able to turn away money that would be going to city. 

They can always put TFC 2 in there as a blocking manoeuvre. They will be coming under pressure to move them into a better stadium anyway, because there is no way that the Soccer Centre meets USSF D2 sanctioning standards.

Just now, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

They can always put TFC 2 in there as a blocking manoeuvre. They will be coming under pressure to move them into a better stadium anyway, because there is no way that the Soccer Centre meets USSF D2 sanctioning standards.

And as the said, Lamport is a venue that loses money for the City. They would find away to put both tenants in their. They just can't afford to turn away money because a private corporation doesn't want to deal with competition. 

7 minutes ago, baulderdash77 said:

MLSE doesn't manage the day to day of Lamport, just the offseason bubble usage.

This. I have already pointed out a few times previously, citing the actual legal agreement, that MLSE only controls Lamport when the bubble is up, nothing more. The city determines whether a new tenant can go in there.