Toronto CPL

madmonte

All these pages to decide on a team name.  Some don't want City, United, FC etc and others don't want some natural disaster or animal mascot name.  Like you won't support the league if the team is named wrong. 

So how about.......Toronto Splunge......

Splunge?   Did he say Splunge?  It means it's a good idea but possibly not and I'm not being indecisive! 

I like it!  What do you think?   Splunge for me too! 

(part of an old Monty Python sketch)

Rocket Robin  (in the Winnipeg forum suggested 'Winnipeg Guess Who' as the team name in honour of the band from that city). 

Edited by Rocket Robin

58 minutes ago, Rocket Robin said:

All these pages to decide on a team name.  Some don't want City, United, FC etc and others don't want some natural disaster or animal mascot name.  Like you won't support the league if the team is named wrong. 

Splunge?   Did he say Splunge?  It means it's a good idea but possibly not and I'm not being indecisive! 

Rocket Robin  (in the Winnipeg forum suggested 'Winnipeg Guess Who' as the team name in honour of the band from that city). 

I vote they pay homage to the London Marconi team and call them the Toronto Macaroni. 

Nothing inspires like Macaroni.

2 hours ago, matty said:

Awesome about the numbers and God.....the naming traditionalists who can't accept something that doesn't resemble Red Patch Boys are gonna kill me lol.

I like the Cronenbergs name, but largely because of its Rick and Morty reference. It's funny to me. But that being said, I think there's a general feeling that we should probably go with a more generic placeholder to attract a broader audience before things crystallise into an actual club. I guess we can talk more about this in person!

4 hours ago, Diamondium said:

I vote they pay homage to the London Marconi team and call them the Toronto Macaroni. 

Nothing inspires like Macaroni.

The Macaroni Club is how most non-Italians refer to the Marconi Club in London when there are no Italians around in my experience. Not in a disparaging sort of way. Just as a harmless sort of joke.

9 hours ago, matty said:

Awesome about the numbers and God.....the naming traditionalists who can't accept something that doesn't resemble Red Patch Boys are gonna kill me lol.

Its not about resembling the RPB, and it shouldnt be about looking/sounding  weird or funny as a means to be different. All in all you can get your overall concept of implementing different, and weird in a more simple but a more generic way that encapsulates the group but is easy to identify/explain.

Something like "The Outcasts" or "The Outsiders" would play on the entire concept of being different/weird for supporting a Toronto CanPL team over TFC.....and the logo could use a simple but affective approach with using the T.O. .....

To me that's where the thinking has to be. 

Edited by Jahinho Guerro

9 hours ago, matty said:

You put the cart before the horse choosing a name before the group came together.  You have to realize that a Toronto CPL group already exists.  

You will see that many of the people who come out to Scallywags to form this group already know eachother, have been part of the soccer community in Toronto for years, and many have nothing to do with this board.  

You can't just show up and say, hey I've chosen a name on the Vs board and made a Twitter, so that's the name. That's just not how it works.

Also @matty and don't take this the wrong way, who are you?  Do you go to TFC games?  I don't recall ever meeting you at Canada games in Toronto or any other Voyageurs event?

As you will see, group dynamics and leadership dynamics already exist for the Toronto CPL people.  If in fact you're new to the group, why do you think people would just go along with your name idea?

You need to talk to Jamie, you know, the guy in Toronto who runs this board and has been working on the Support the CPL project for months now.  He will tell you the name is already causing confusion.

Edited by BrennanFan

9 hours ago, Rocket Robin said:

I also stirred the pot in the Hamilton CPL forum with a team name for them:

Hamilton Grundy! 

Their surveys most loved/most hated    include both City and United making both surveys with 12% most hated and 12% most loved.

Mrs Grundy is a figurative name for an extremely conventional or priggish person,[1] a personification of the tyranny of conventional propriety. A tendency to be overly fearful of what the respectable might think is also referred to as Grundyism

Now come on if a big corporate sponsor like Red Bull put money into a team, I'm sure the name is for sale with the capital to get the league started.  The Timbits? although I'm sure Tim Horton's doesn't want to limit their national appeal. 

Even before all the who are ya talks, the initiative is valued. But all in all we gotta think branding, marketing, and positioning.

Can you imagine someone going...

What are The Antonucci Supporters? A Toronto CPL supporters' club

What do we do? Support the Toronto CPL club at games and at viewing parties or, if there isn't a Toronto CPL club, organise CPL viewing parties every week and make the league known in Toronto.

Why "The Antonuccis"? It comes from Daniel Antonucci aka Toronto/Canada's greatest/successful animator talent who created the famous Canadian cartoon Ed,Edd, & Eddy who are a very weird but adventurous group of friends. I'm sure people will look at us and the CPL team as if something is wrong with us for going against the MLSE machine.

How to join? Reply to me and Ill let you know.

Rules (atm)? Follow me and I will make you leaders of men.

15 minutes ago, BrennanFan said:

You need to talk to Jamie, you know, the guy in Toronto who runs this board and has been working on the Support the CPL project for months now.  He will tell you the name is already causing confusion.

@matty

All in all what's not wanted before a team is even announced is multiple groups, and this is what will happen as a result of division through identity. 

58 minutes ago, BrennanFan said:

Also @matty and don't take this the wrong way, who are you?  Do you go to TFC games?  I don't recall ever meeting you at Canada games in Toronto or any other Voyageurs event?

As you will see, group dynamics and leadership dynamics already exist for the Toronto CPL people.  If in fact you're new to the group, why do you think people would just go along with your name idea?

I do press at tfc games.

1 hour ago, BrennanFan said:

You put the cart before the horse choosing a name before the group came together.  You have to realize that a Toronto CPL group already exists.  

You will see that many of the people who come out to Scallywags to form this group already know eachother, have been part of the soccer community in Toronto for years, and many have nothing to do with this board.  

You can't just show up and say, hey I've chosen a name on the Vs board and made a Twitter, so that's the name. That's just not how it works.

It's been said before that Toronto can support multiple teams/groups. If people don't like this one then they can join or form another one. The original Cronenberg post made the group idea clear and I've never claimed this is THE group for Toronto and in fact if I was made aware of another groups public info I would promote it actively because i know it might be a better fit for some.

Right now we're starting up and trying to figure out ways to help promote cpl more than anything including to support other groups.

1 hour ago, Jahinho Guerro said:

Its not about resembling the RPB, and it shouldnt be about looking/sounding  weird or funny as a means to be different. All in all you can get your overall concept of implementing different, and weird in a more simple but a more generic way that encapsulates the group but is easy to identify/explain.

Something like "The Outcasts" or "The Outsiders" would play on the entire concept of being different/weird for supporting a Toronto CanPL team over TFC.....and the logo could use a simple but affective approach with using the T.O. .....

To me that's where the thinking has to be. 

How about The Cord Cutters in reference to our hatred towards Rogers and Bell, who own MLSE, who own TFC.

52 minutes ago, matty said:

It's been said before that Toronto can support multiple teams/groups. If people don't like this one then they can join or form another one. The original Cronenberg post made the group idea clear and I've never claimed this is THE group for Toronto and in fact if I was made aware of another groups public info I would promote it actively because i know it might be a better fit for some.

Right now we're starting up and trying to figure out ways to help promote cpl more than anything including to support other groups.

The last thing the Toronto CPL 'movement' needs right now is multiple groups.  

Please note the meeting at Scallywags on the 30th is a Toronto CPL Supporters meeting. That is the name that is getting traction on FB.

1 hour ago, BrennanFan said:

The last thing the Toronto CPL 'movement' needs right now is multiple groups.  

Please note the meeting at Scallywags on the 30th is a Toronto CPL Supporters meeting. That is the name that is getting traction on FB.

Yea that's fine with me but please note that the cronenbergs laid the foundation for it and organized it.

Edited by matty

I still maintain that CPL needs its own super-villain that everyone will love to hate and pay a high price to see that club get beat...although it could be the richest club...just like Chelsea.

YORKVILLE :lol:

Just looking at the online response even outside this thread...seems like the name itself is the most divisive thing going around. Might just be time to abandon it for anyone who is attending on the 30th, simply because a mainstream meeting for Toronto CPL fans needs to happen, but the name doesn't right now.

If at a later point there's a group that wants to call itself the Cronenbergs, go for it, but right now it seems like the name is turning people off to the idea of joining up

It's not really realistic to start splintering immediately over the name, you're not at the critical mass of people yet

2 minutes ago, Complete Homer said:

Just looking at the online response even outside this thread...seems like the name itself is the most divisive thing going around. Might just be time to abandon it for anyone who is attending on the 30th, simply because a mainstream meeting for Toronto CPL fans needs to happen, but the name doesn't right now.

If at a later point there's a group that wants to call itself the Cronenbergs, go for it, but right now it seems like the name is turning people off to the idea of joining up

It's not really realistic to start splintering immediately over the name, you're not at the critical mass of people yet

The name actually is liked by most I've found and even Beirne liked it. I have said the name can change if enough people want it to but so far it hasn't been the case.

Just now, matty said:

The name actually is liked by most I've found and even Beirne liked it. I have said the name can change if enough people want it to but so far it hasn't been the case.

Fair enough, I'd heard a few negative responses and I just think, at this point, we shouldn't give anyone any reason to not be at the meeting, even if it is something petty like not liking the name

3 minutes ago, Complete Homer said:

Fair enough, I'd heard a few negative responses and I just think, at this point, we shouldn't give anyone any reason to not be at the meeting, even if it is something petty like not liking the name

I'd like to think people would be game to come check it out regardless and just meet other toronto cpl fans (which I've encouraged).

Please excuse the 'dad lecture', but if you Toronto folks aren't going into your meeting with the commitment to figure out and do what's best for CanPL soccer in Toronto front of mind, then you're going into the meeting with the wrong idea. If your principle concern is who was here first or who started this thing or who already has an established group, these are the things that make the process more difficult.

This is meant in the most positive way possible btw. I know tons of people in Toronto who will want to be in a CanPL SG (if and when there's a team) and they are all fabulous people ... not joking ... everyone. But I've also seen outstanding people get pulled apart by petty concerns. And especially at the beginning of this, it's just not worth it. Go in with an open mind. Have a big tent mentality. Check your egos at the door. It's cliche to say, but we really are all in this together.