Toronto CPL

madmonte

Been having a really interesting debate on twitter the last couple of days with some of the guys I know from Sauga SG and Kings.

About 8 of us at the moment, we all generally agree for the most part that Sauga will and should happen before anywhere else in the GTA, including Toronto. Hurts to admit myself, but got to be pragmatic and give credit where it's due :) More importantly, when a Toronto team does come in eventually, there are so many locations and stadiums that various people put out.

At the end of it, my thinking now is that, there really isn't a single stadium suitable at the moment in Toronto for CPL, including Varsity/UT, Lamport, York University, Esther Shiner, Monarch (where Ryerson plays), Centennial, L'Amoreaux, other Toronto L1O stadiums, etc.

This is something my buddy Ansem has convinced me on as well. If CPL is looking at the medium or long term for a Toronto CPL, something years down the road, they might as well as do a pop-up on the Port Lands, provided that there's more TTC access and some major development happening there in the next 5-10 years. It's a parcel of land that's just crying for development.

1 hour ago, Greatest Cockney Rip Off said:

Why do you think Mississauga should be ahead of Toronto? I just have a hard time seeing people outside of Mississauga being interested in a club based there, while people from all over Southern Ontario would be more willing to support a team based in Toronto.  

That's what I thought for a long time, for months.

I'm just summing up what I've seen generally over the months, but the guys in Sauga have shown more enthusiasm for a pro club in its city that will translate more easily into mainstream support within Sauga than the guys in TO, largely because most of the guys in TO that support CPL also support TFC already and are generally more bound to TFC as a Toronto resident than a Sauga resident is to TFC. I'll leave it at that.

2 hours ago, ironcub14 said:

Been having a really interesting debate on twitter the last couple of days with some of the guys I know from Sauga SG and Kings.

About 8 of us at the moment, we all generally agree for the most part that Sauga will and should happen before anywhere else in the GTA, including Toronto. Hurts to admit myself, but got to be pragmatic and give credit where it's due :) More importantly, when a Toronto team does come in eventually, there are so many locations and stadiums that various people put out.

At the end of it, my thinking now is that, there really isn't a single stadium suitable at the moment in Toronto for CPL, including Varsity/UT, Lamport, York University, Esther Shiner, Monarch (where Ryerson plays), Centennial, L'Amoreaux, other Toronto L1O stadiums, etc.

This is something my buddy Ansem has convinced me on as well. If CPL is looking at the medium or long term for a Toronto CPL, something years down the road, they might as well as do a pop-up on the Port Lands, provided that there's more TTC access and some major development happening there in the next 5-10 years. It's a parcel of land that's just crying for development.

No matter where it happens, first GTA CPL team will be branded Toronto

2 hours ago, ironcub14 said:

That's what I thought for a long time, for months.

I'm just summing up what I've seen generally over the months, but the guys in Sauga have shown more enthusiasm for a pro club in its city that will translate more easily into mainstream support within Sauga than the guys in TO, largely because most of the guys in TO that support CPL also support TFC already and are generally more bound to TFC as a Toronto resident than a Sauga resident is to TFC. I'll leave it at that.

But what about people from Durham or York? how would you get them to support a Mississauga based team? Woukd people from Toronto support a Mississauga team? No matter how enthusiastic a group from Mississauga is, you would likely exclude a large selection of the population of southern Ontario. 

1 minute ago, Greatest Cockney Rip Off said:

But what about people from Durham or York? how would you get them to support a Mississauga based team? Woukd people from Toronto support a Mississauga team? No matter how enthusiastic a group from Mississauga is, you would likely exclude a large selection of the population of southern Ontario. 

Exactly, you likely don't.

What I was saying was, that Sauga is likely to be the first one from the GTA to sprout up. But who knows what the CPL landscape will look like in Toronto and the GTA after that? :)

On 8/15/2017 at 4:14 PM, matty said:

I like the idea but I would like there to be meetings before this to bring more attention to the CPL in Toronto beyond the circle we have and I'd also think it would be great if we reached out to non-Canadian soccer groups in the city cause there are dozens of them and some might be interested

Ideally yes.  I just don't think we are going to get very far trying to recruit outsiders with the lack of buzz about the CPL at the moment.  I expected things to be further along at this point.  They gotta give us something to work with.  

17 minutes ago, BrennanFan said:

Ideally yes.  I just don't think we are going to get very far trying to recruit outsiders with the lack of buzz about the CPL at the moment.  I expected things to be further along at this point.  They gotta give us something to work with.  

Sadly i agree they're not giving us much. Still i don't see the harm in inviting outsiders to events like the one in October and seeing if some are game to send a rep or something

On 2017-07-18 at 10:29 AM, ironcub14 said:

The two Tutto Mercato articles definitely came out of left field, and I dismissed it initially when I skimmed it real quickly over the weekend, thinking the interviewee was talking about how he was going to fund or operate the team. I see now he was talking simply about having conversations about being a candidate for a coach. Still seems out of left field but don't think we can just dismiss it out of hand. I did ask my Italian colleague about Tutto Mercato, and he said, proceed with caution but they wouldn't write about Canada or CPL with no context at all.

As for Argos/MLSE, I mean, if we're so enthusiastic about the Ti-Cats and the Bombers leading the initiative for CPL, why would we dismiss Larry Tanenbaum so quickly? For all the issues that Canadian soccer fans may have with MLSE, they are simply responding to the market forces and what the majority of fans that don't go on the V's forum or Twitter want to see. The multiple TFC fans I know at work that go to multiple games from the tickets I help them get and can barely name me 5 players just want to see a winning team, they don't care whether the players are Canadians, Americans or Spanish. And I'm happy Larry is at least trying to do something about the Argos; we're constantly saying on the V's forum how it's great that CFL is the one true professional Canadian league here and that it's the benchmark CPL wishes to reach.

Obviously would rather see Goldhar or somebody else pop up for a Toronto/Sauga CPL, but I don't think we should be dismissing MLSE out of hand. So Manning came out earlier and said all that crap to Larson about not wanting a competitor. Maybe Young and co were able to convince them of the merit of the project, and that it's better to go along with the project than to continue to be the antagonist, when everybody's going to win from a higher quality of soccer in Canada. With all the CPL skeptics out there, it'd be pretty damn nice to convince MLSE and Tanenbaum of the merit of the league.

Any relation to Hilli Goldhar on Sigma I wonder???

• 1 month later...
14 hours ago, hamiltonfan said:

I’m at a loss for why the GTHA CPL groups aren’t using the L1O final Friday as a vechile to push the supporters culture, their groups, and the CPL.

A completely relevant stage! 

I have a soccer match myself on Friday evening so I can't make it personally.

But I hope there's a good turnout at OSC, definitely a good point you make.

14 hours ago, BrennanFan said:

Its time we had another Toronto CPL Supporters meeting.

Friday Nov. 17. 

Venue ideas?  

Somewhere near downtown if possible, just for sake of ease for the most people if that's cool. The pub from the last meeting, or the usual King & Dufferin Shoeless?

3 hours ago, BrennanFan said:

Consensus (taking into account FB responses as well) is:

Friday Nov. 17 at Shoeless Joe's, King and Dufferin.  7pm.  

See you all there.

Booooooooooooooooooourns how does this subway-less area keeping getting everything in Toronto?

Edited by matty