Brian Wright

lazlo_80

Ranked 8th on draft list based on MLS article and compared to Wondo:

The Catamounts were lethal up top this year thanks in large part to the nation’s 2016 points king Brian Wright. The all-around talent is a skilled poacher, as exemplified by his 14 goals last season (good for seventh in the nation). But he also contributed 12 assists, which tied him for the national lead. Wright is a classic dropping forward, ladling out possession in deeper spaces and poaching striker’s goals that perhaps lack outright aesthetics. Like Wondolowski, Wright tends to flit in and out of the box on build-ups before stampeding into the six for goal chances off rebounds and squared balls. Players like Wright tend to catch on quick, and his track record doesn’t lie.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2017/01/04/parchman-top-10-superdraft-prospects-and-their-mls-doppelg-ngers

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Scored the game winner for the Revs in the US Open Cup in his first professional start. He's a big, athletic target forward that has trouble creating space by himself, but he looks to be growing into his role as backup to Kei Kamara. That role being "big dude who occupies the CBs, gets on the end of crosses, and occasionally slips past the defense.

Not sure he'll see too much playing time the rest of this year given the Revs have a mess of attacking talent, but he looks to have to potential to be Larin's backup long-term as they are similar payers.

Small correction, it wasn't his pro debut, as he has played for Tulsa on April 2nd. It was his debut for the Revs though (as far as I know). 

Edit: It wasn't either. He's played Cup matches before. 

Edited by shamrock

8 minutes ago, harrycoyster said:

Scored the game winner for the Revs in the US Open Cup in his first professional start. He's a big, athletic target forward that has trouble creating space by himself, but he looks to be growing into his role as backup to Kei Kamara. That role being "big dude who occupies the CBs, gets on the end of crosses, and occasionally slips past the defense.

Not sure he'll see too much playing time the rest of this year given the Revs have a mess of attacking talent, but he looks to have to potential to be Larin's backup long-term as they are similar payers.

his best chance to get more time is over this little stretch while NE is dealing with call-ups. hopefully this is the first of many for him.

• 1 month later...

Nemeth to NE Rev... What are they doing?

No clue why, but they've added another striker to the team. Which means Wright will have a harder chance to get on the field or worse come to worse is let go. How many strikers they got ahead of Wright now? Wasn't pleased when NE drafted him made no sense honestly. Hopefully he can be traded to a team needing a striker next season or is loaned to USL club to show his worth for NE or other MLS teams.... you Canada MLS teams

36 minutes ago, Scorpion26 said:

Nemeth to NE Rev... What are they doing?

No clue why, but they've added another striker to the team. Which means Wright will have a harder chance to get on the field or worse come to worse is let go. How many strikers they got ahead of Wright now? Wasn't pleased when NE drafted him made no sense honestly. Hopefully he can be traded to a team needing a striker next season or is loaned to USL club to show his worth for NE or other MLS teams.... you Canada MLS teams

They said they drafted him because they wanted a like for like back-up for Kamara, but Kamara never fit their system in the first place. Who knows what's going on with that team. He definitely needs a move unless the Revs drop 2-3 strikers in the off season, he's like 6th on the depth chart and Nemeth, Kamara, and Agudelo are all bonafide MLS strikers.

4 hours ago, Blackjack15 said:

Why hasn't he gotten called up in the past for U20 & now for the U-23 Team? 

Solid Prospect btw, love when Canadians have that Experience in the NCAA as it is very valuable to grow/develop. 

Because he was playing at a small university and in PDL. We had  Cyle Larin and Jordan Hamilton as forwards who were better then and are still better now. You could argue that he may be better than Calum Ferguson, but even then, It would be hard to sell me on Wright. And for the U23 team, we had Anthony Jackson-Hamel and Caleb Clarke. 

I think we just do a pretty awful job of evaluating ncaa players. I mean you look at larin, awuah and laryea who were all at big programs and now at Mls clubs but were kind of looked over. It still shocks me how Larin didn't start on that u20 side but went on to start for our senior team at the gold cup months later.  Meanwhile guys like aparicio and carreiro have fallen off hard.

we need to be better.  Not saying wright would have made that team but he should have got a chance probably. 

8 hours ago, BearcatSA said:

If you have chance to get a quality attacker who has had previous success in this league, wants to be back in this league, and is still in his prime, why wouldn't you get him if you have the resources available?  

Yes very true, but did NE need another striker that I'm not so sure about honestly. Felt they needed more wing help.

1 hour ago, Keegan said:

I think we just do a pretty awful job of evaluating ncaa players. I mean you look at larin, awuah and laryea who were all at big programs and now at Mls clubs but were kind of looked over. It still shocks me how Larin didn't start on that u20 side but went on to start for our senior team at the gold cup months later.  Meanwhile guys like aparicio and carreiro have fallen off hard.

we need to be better.  Not saying wright would have made that team but he should have got a chance probably. 

Why is it weird that Larin didn't start? He didn't score that tournament and Hamilton had/has a history of scoring for our youth teams.