2016 Red Team Playoff Clinching Watch (aka Toronto FC 2016 MLS season thread)

shermanator

3 hours ago, aloyol said:

It looks red to me. Look at the TFC player run and look at Mallaca. Mallace goes out of his way to hit Beitashour who has just release the ball.

Who cares if a player is carrying intentionally the play after the whistle? Unless the guy takes a shot at goal, let him run endlessly, uncalled for from Mallace.

I guess I've seen too many body check type fouls, especially when a bigger CB cranks an opponent by jumping out in front of him as he's in full flight right after he burst by him off the dribble, and then only a yellow has been given.  That's my frame of reference.  

I'll be interested in seeing if the league office upholds the decision or downgrades it to a yellow.

• Replies 683
  • Created
  • Last Reply
44 minutes ago, BearcatSA said:

I guess I've seen too many body check type fouls, especially when a bigger CB cranks an opponent by jumping out in front of him as he's in full flight right after he burst by him off the dribble, and then only a yellow has been given.  That's my frame of reference.  

I'll be interested in seeing if the league office upholds the decision or downgrades it to a yellow.

I think the difference here is that it was after the whistle.

My prediction regarding the league is the RC will stay.

17 hours ago, shorty said:

I think red is jusitified by the letter of the law, but in the context of managing a derby game a yellow would have been the right call.  

Taking this in a different direction, is this a derby game or just a rivalry game? Isn't a derby two teams from the same city?

I'd say technically you're right, but in a NA context, it's as close to a derby game as we can get.  :)

Besides NYRB/NYCFC and Galaxy/Chivas (up until a couple of years ago, soon to be LAFC) are there any other cities with two separate professional clubs?  Does Oklahoma City still have two?  I'm not counting associated USL clubs obviously.

Who likes injuries? Gionvinco will be out 4 weeks with quad / abductor strains. Chapman will be out 3 weeks with an MCL tear. Morgan will be out 6-8 weeks after undergoing surgery on a fractured foot.

Looks like Ricketts and Hamilton will be relied upon a little more in the next while.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/toronto-fc-star-giovinco-expected-miss-four-weeks-injury/

Timing could be a lot worse for the Chapman & Giovinco injuries. TFC doesn't play for two weeks so this amounts to two-weeks of missed playing time for Giovinco and only one more for Chapman if the diagnosis' are accurate. Although it sucks for Morgan that the injury is the same one he had before, given that it was supposedly healed.

I fully expect Vanney will try the twin towers approach at first but as I said the other day (before I knew a Giovinco injury was going to happen later that night) I'd like to see Babouli get a chance up top alongside Altidore, assuming the latter comes back healthy from WCQ (which is no guarantee). Mo's the most logical replacement in terms of the style of play/striker for Giovinco. I wouldn't be surprised to see  Hamilton start given that Ricketts & Altidore will be coming off two games (one a Tuesday night game) and a lot of travel in between, they may both start on the bench when TFC play Chicago in two weeks time.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2016-09-02 at 7:59 PM, BearcatSA said:

Can't say I was surprised by this decision to overturn it.

Neither am I.

TFC jump back into first tonight with a 2-1 road win in a place they'd never won before - Chicago. Ricketts, Johnson & Osorio all started, with the latter two going 90, Johnson credited with an assist on the first goal while Osorio scored a gimmie which turned to be the game winner. Hamilton came on late and missed a glorious chance to make it 3-1. Those were the only Canucks dressed tonight (Chapman & Morgan out injured, Babouli not dressed and Roberts now likely sent back to TFC II with Irwin back).

You could tell there was a lack of confidence when he mishandled the first touch and then he smashed it right at the keeper. You can't expect much different when you bench a player who's been excellent for multiple games. I know Altidore and Ricketts have come into the fold but the rotation amongst everyone needs to be better.

NYRB blow a 2 goal lead late at home to settle for a 2-2 draw and so TFC remain in sole possession of first in the east, setting up a juicy confrontation for 1st place at BMO next Sunday against NYRB. There is some speculation about Giovinco being back by that point in time, ahead of schedule but I certainly hope they don't rush him back to risk further injury. Even if they lose next Sunday they would still have a game in hand on both NY teams (although it would put a dent in their hopes of the Supporter's Shield).

Some further thoughts on some of the non-Canucks against Chicago - Cooper looked pretty decent on the ball and one on one defensively, but he also seemed very selfish with the ball. I wonder if that's why he seems to bounce from club to club repeatedly. Still, likely an upgrade off the bench vs. Endoh at both ends of the field (Endoh made a large contribution to the Piatti goal against Montreal, so I figure he may not be in the good books of Vanney at the moment). I think when Chapman and/or Giovinco comes back we might not even see Endoh make the 18 anymore with Cooper there.

And I'll give him the benefit of the doubt coming off a mid-week international game, but I thought Bradley was off-form. Hopefully he'll rebound for the NYRB game but if he fails to do so I'll be happy to lead the "Cheyrou to start ahead of Bradley" campaign for the remainder of the season.

Archived