Canadian Premier League

ted

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow, 2018, acrew that.  I'll bet this league gets delayed and launches 2020 because of "unforeseen" circumstances that always happen to this supposed league taking off.  Guess people can wait, but I hope the CSA lifts the moratorium soon.  Rather have USL franchises while the CPL can do their own thing.

edit:. I forgot a USL thread was created, great news for CPL fans.  I'll take a wait and see apporach.

5 minutes ago, Complete Homer said:

From the rumours I've heard (correct me if wrong Barton Battalion people, I got this from you), QC is expansion and Victoria is not in the original 8, right? 

There are two lists that have gained some steam in terms of theories about the league

1: Vancouver, Calgary, Regina, Winnipeg, Halimton, GTA, Ottawa, Montreal (Rollins list)

2: Victoria, Calgary, Edmonton, Hamilton, GTA, Ottawa, Quebec and somewhere in the Maritimes (Verde List)

Everything seems to be a variant on one of the two

17 minutes ago, matty said:

There are two lists that have gained some steam in terms of theories about the league

1: Vancouver, Calgary, Regina, Winnipeg, Halimton, GTA, Ottawa, Montreal (Rollins list)

2: Victoria, Calgary, Edmonton, Hamilton, GTA, Ottawa, Quebec and somewhere in the Maritimes (Verde List)

Everything seems to be a variant on one of the two

Yeah, but the list I heard from the BB guys was supposed to have come from actual conversation with TiCats staff. They (names are failing me), mentioned that this particular list wasn't public yet and they knew some of the expected expansions. 

BB guys, since beans are spilling, are you at libery to divulge that stuff now? 

6 hours ago, nolbertos said:

Wow, 2018, acrew that.  I'll bet this league gets delayed and launches 2020 because of "unforeseen" circumstances that always happen to this supposed league taking off.  Guess people can wait, but I hope the CSA lifts the moratorium soon.  Rather have USL franchises while the CPL can do their own thing.

edit:. I forgot a USL thread was created, great news for CPL fans.  I'll take a wait and see apporach.

2 hours ago, Complete Homer said:

I get that the CSA has been frustrating and incompetent for many years, but I never understand this level of scepticism. This is completely on message from what we learned 6 months ago that got everyone excited. Between this and the information passed around at the Pheasant, I'm pretty damn excited 

I am a huge booster of the idea of this league and try to stay as optimistic as possible, but to play devils advocate, this might be the type of leak that causes said scepticism.

http://www.canadiansoccernews.com/index.php?/page/articles.html/_/24th-minute/csa-cfl-and-nasl-to-launch-canadian-league-r4701

Artcle in 2014 suggesting a 2016 launch. I think there were similar articles mentioning several other later announcements/starts. WCQ against Dominica, Gold Cup against El Salvador, 2015 Grey Cup, early 2016 announcement, etc.

I really really hope the league starts in 2018, but the scepticism is warranted. Longer term CMNT obsessives will be able to point to similar leaks about the CUSL or whatever it was called too.

3 hours ago, Kent said:

I am a huge booster of the idea of this league and try to stay as optimistic as possible, but to play devils advocate, this might be the type of leak that causes said scepticism.

http://www.canadiansoccernews.com/index.php?/page/articles.html/_/24th-minute/csa-cfl-and-nasl-to-launch-canadian-league-r4701

Artcle in 2014 suggesting a 2016 launch. I think there were similar articles mentioning several other later announcements/starts. WCQ against Dominica, Gold Cup against El Salvador, 2015 Grey Cup, early 2016 announcement, etc.

I really really hope the league starts in 2018, but the scepticism is warranted. Longer term CMNT obsessives will be able to point to similar leaks about the CUSL or whatever it was called too.

4 hours ago, nolbertos said:

So if the CPL launches, you rather ignore it and support the USL, a league that won't have anymore future teams added in this country if the CPL launches? That's what you're saying?

4 hours ago, nolbertos said:

Well, if the CPL is coming down the pipe, it's unlikely the CSA would lift it at all. More likely, I think it would cement such a moratorium. If you are a Canadian team, and we have a Canadian league looking for more franchises, what reason do you we have to let you play in a US league?

The MLS teams have a legit excuse "Because we are part of a US league already and all of our rival farm teams are there too, and we're already there and grandfathered in"

The only reason I can see is, because it's cheaper to which the rebuttal will be "Well with that, is also a much lower level of play. You can do that with L1O or the PLSQ or the PDL already...so no." or "Sure, but you don't qualify for the V.Cup until you play in a Canadian league.

58 minutes ago, Macksam said:

So if the CPL launches, you rather ignore it and support the USL, a league that won't have anymore future teams added in this country if the CPL launches? That's what you're saying?

I'd rather have something now than later, even if it's is USL.  The CPL drama has been going on forever.  The USL is willing to expand across Canada, but seems the CSA has another agenda, that to me harms the grassroots than help.  If CPL, happens in 2018, then great, then they can compete against the Canadian USL teams and maybe down the road, merge with them, if it's beneficial to both parties.

Any chance this could be a Canadian division in the USL? That would be a sure fire way to guarantee our 3 major cities are involved. I thought that's where this was headed after Ottawa announced it was leaving NASL and before Totera's announcement.

19 minutes ago, nolbertos said:

I'd rather have something now than later, even if it's is USL.  The CPL drama has been going on forever.  The USL is willing to expand across Canada, but seems the CSA has another agenda, that to me harms the grassroots than help.  If CPL, happens in 2018, then great, then they can compete against the Canadian USL teams and maybe down the road, merge with them, if it's beneficial to both parties.

I would rather see that status quo occur then for us to tie our development path to the USSF any further barring major, permanant Canadian content requirements by MLS. I am not for condemning Canadian soccer to a near eternity of mediocrity in the AHL of the MLS. You will never see television exposure for a league that has no pro/rel and is composed of MLS farm teams and thus will never raise the profile of the sport in our country.

There is no point in going down a road to get ahead a couple feet and hit dead end.

4 hours ago, Kent said:

As long as the skeptics agree to purchase season tickets whenever the league is launched, you can rain on this parade as much as you want.

3 hours ago, johnyb said:

Any chance this could be a Canadian division in the USL? That would be a sure fire way to guarantee our 3 major cities are involved. I thought that's where this was headed after Ottawa announced it was leaving NASL and before Totera's announcement.

No, and throwing in with MLS farm teams and affiliates in Usl is not what Canada needs or what fans other than a few Usl diehards want.

Also Ottawa never announced it was leaving NASL.

Although a single table CPL would be the best setup I think at least at launch it will be similar to CFL with 2 divisions of 4 or 5 teams each because of the travel considerations.

Glad to hear the first phase is done, which seems to have been the rumoured Sept/Oct CSA passing of the CPL business plan/framework plus more possibly with rumours of some clubs having been set and expansion clubs being lined up.

34 minutes ago, CDNFootballer said:

Although a single table CPL would be the best setup I think at least at launch it will be similar to CFL with 2 divisions of 4 or 5 teams each because of the travel considerations.

Glad to hear the first phase is done, which seems to have been the rumoured Sept/Oct CSA passing of the CPL business plan/framework plus more possibly with rumours of some clubs having been set and expansion clubs being lined up.

Basically, east and west, each team does one or two long road trips where they hit every spot in the other conference per season and otherwise stays in their conference.  Hell, they could even bus it if they wanted to keep travel really low.  You get enough cross-over between conferences but keep it on a budget.  

13 hours ago, ThatDaveCh said:

Confirmed by Anthony Totera. It's happening!

The obvious question to ask before people project their favoured pet fantasy options onto this should be what does "first phase" mean exactly? Looks like weasel words to pretend something much less lofty is something it isn't. The second thing to note is it says "target date" rather than "launch date", and we all know this has always been two years away. Looks like somebody (John McGrane?) just doesn't want the dream to die and so the saga continues. If this hinders USL expansion into Canada it does a serious disservice to the sport in Canada.

13 hours ago, matty said:

Place your bets on what the CPL turns out to be! I'm betting on a 7 team league that runs based in Hamilton, Mississauga, Kingston, Ottawa, Quebec City, Moncton and Halifax

My money would be on a repackaged L1O and PLSQ with a western conference to be added at some later unspecified date. Windsor, London, Hamilton, Mississauga, Toronto, Scarborough, Oshawa, Kingston, Ottawa, Montreal x2, Quebec or something like that.

Archived