Canadian Premier League

ted

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm just going to throw this pipe dream out here, because it is just that. What would be your thoughts if the CPL started up as a Women's league, or ran a paralell Women's league. I mean, I know our woman's team is popular, but do ya think it would approach even remote viability?

21 minutes ago, -Hammer- said:

I'm just going to throw this pipe dream out here, because it is just that. What would be your thoughts if the CPL started up as a Women's league, or ran a paralell Women's league. I mean, I know our woman's team is popular, but do ya think it would approach even remote viability?

Viability or not, it would be less expensive to operate (at least based on the financial situations of other women's leagues around the world), would likely make both an immediate and long term positive impact on the fortunes of the WNT, and would have a real chance of being one of the best women's leagues in the world in relatively short order. I'd love to see a women's pro league in Canada. 

9 hours ago, -Hammer- said:

It's an interesting idea for sure.  I'm not too sure how many viable teams you could get...  It might get repetitive if you only have somewhere between 3 and 6 teams and you want to keep some decent professional standards, but...

What about some kind of interleague play with NWSL?

For the sake of math, let's assume the CSA can scrape together 4 pro women's teams.  Not enough for a league on its own, but if they play every NWSL team once, and every other Canadian team twice, that's a 16-game season - one more than the NWSL plays.  Then have a 4-team year-end playoff based on intra- and inter-league combined standings to find a Canadian champion.  Travel costs (especially for eastern Canada teams) wouldn't be any worse than flying cross-country every month.  NWSL would benefit by having additional teams to play against without any real risk (financial or stability) on their end, not to mention potentially more roster spots for American players.  CSA would be able to get a few teams up and running without needing to worry about having enough for a stable league, would be able to gradually add teams rather than rushing them through, and would be able to maintain control of the league instead of just dropping teams in the USSF's lap.

And if for some reason the whole thing doesn't work out, just stop scheduling interleague games and the divorce becomes a lot less messy.

46 minutes ago, Gopherbashi said:

It's an interesting idea for sure.  I'm not too sure how many viable teams you could get...  It might get repetitive if you only have somewhere between 3 and 6 teams and you want to keep some decent professional standards, but...

What about some kind of interleague play with NWSL?

For the sake of math, let's assume the CSA can scrape together 4 pro women's teams.  Not enough for a league on its own, but if they play every NWSL team once, and every other Canadian team twice, that's a 16-game season - one more than the NWSL plays.  Then have a 4-team year-end playoff based on intra- and inter-league combined standings to find a Canadian champion.  Travel costs (especially for eastern Canada teams) wouldn't be any worse than flying cross-country every month.  NWSL would benefit by having additional teams to play against without any real risk (financial or stability) on their end, not to mention potentially more roster spots for American players.  CSA would be able to get a few teams up and running without needing to worry about having enough for a stable league, would be able to gradually add teams rather than rushing them through, and would be able to maintain control of the league instead of just dropping teams in the USSF's lap.

And if for some reason the whole thing doesn't work out, just stop scheduling interleague games and the divorce becomes a lot less messy.

I think something like what you said should be explored on the men's side with the NASL as well. Additionally, I think the men's and women's projects could be launched cotemporeaniously [omg sic] to better the overall chance of both succeeding.  

9 hours ago, -Hammer- said:

Definitely a bit of a pipe-dream, but I know I would buy seasons tickets for a local team for my family & I. A women's pro-league is long-past due, and our players have more than earned it. With all the interest we had from the Women's World Cup and the continued success at the Olympics, I think they would have a fairly solid fan-base. Depending on where the venues are, probably be looking at 3000 - 5000 regularly (with occasional peaks & dips). Not sure if that would make it viable, but it would definitely be great to watch the quality of play continue to improve.

Of course, I'd also love to seen the CANMNT take on the CANWNT. I'm not entirely sure where I would put my bet in that match!

10 hours ago, Pqhbv said:

I think something like what you said should be explored on the men's side with the NASL as well. Additionally, I think the men's and women's projects could be launched cotemporeaniously [omg sic] to better the overall chance of both succeeding.  

I was thinking the same thing, and part of me wonders if this is what they might have in mind.  Seems unlikely (purely because of how out of the box it is) but you never know.

Anyways, the bigger question I would inquire as to it's viability. We know our women's team is immensely popular across our country and often sells out stadiums across the nation, something which our men's team just isn't managing to do. The question is would that translate to a consistent 5,000 in your local market? Espcially when you consider any local league wouldn't be star studded with the likes of Sinclair, Bucannan, Schmidt, Tancredi and Belanger.

1 hour ago, C2SKI said:

Aren't we expecting an announcement sometime soon?

There is supposed to be a CSA meeting in Sept sometime where they are supposed to be looking at/voting on a prospective business plan for the league. But I've heard absolutely no details about this meeting or its possible agenda. 

1 hour ago, ted said:

This will be what, the third year in row we have heard this song and dance?

I don't think we've heard Mont Vic speak to a meeting in the early fall where they will be discussing the league's business plan in the previous three years. But still, that doesn't mean discussions are going to happen. It's different in this case when it's Montagliani saying it as far as I'm concerned. 

17 hours ago, rob.notenboom said:

There is supposed to be a CSA meeting in Sept sometime where they are supposed to be looking at/voting on a prospective business plan for the league. But I've heard absolutely no details about this meeting or its possible agenda. 

Great, thanks! I really hope something concrete materializes soon.

Enough waiting, enough talk about something that just might happen in 3-5 years. Cities that are ready to go pro in the next couple of years should start in usl or nasl until this materializes. The city of Hamilton needs to give the soccer rights in the stadium to another group if the Tiger-Cats group can't get a professional team going by 2018. No more extensions, no more wasting time.

On 2016-08-26 at 4:43 PM, rob.notenboom said:

I don't think we've heard Mont Vic speak to a meeting in the early fall ...

I was thinking more generally of the "something is coming that might actually mean something in conjunction the Grey Cup/AGM/WCQ/whatever". ;)

Archived