Canadian Premier League

ted

Just now, Ansem said:

I know none of the above would happen. Just my personal Plan B (just for fun)

Whatever that plan B may be, USSF isn't the solution. Hate to say it but CPL is the best shot we have.

fair enough and I do fully agree CPL is the best shot

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A-Qualifying Single Table Group Stage

• NASL FC Edmonton advance to this stage
  • USL Ottawa Fury advance to this stage
  • L1O Champion Vaughan Azzurri advance to this stage
  • PLSQ Champion CS Mont-Royal Outremont advance to this stage

Each team plays each other twice (Home and Away)

Top 3 advance to knockout stage

Final Table

1. FC Edmonton - 13 points - Advance
  2. Ottawa Fury -  12 points - Advance
  3. Vaughan Azzuri - 7 points - Advance
  4. CS Mont-Royal Outremont - 2 points - eliminated

B-Knockout Stage

• Best 3 of previous stage advance to this stage
  • 10 CPL Teams advance to this stage
  • 3 MLS teams advance to this stage
  • Draw among 16 Teams to set up the knockout stage

Example

1. Vancouver Whitecaps vs. Vaughan Azzuri
  2. CPL Calgary vs. Edmonton FC
  3. Toronto FC vs. CPL Winnipeg
  4. CPL Hamilton vs. Vaughan Azzurri
  5. Montreal Impact vs. CS Mont-Royal Outremont
  6. CPL Toronto vs. Ottawa Fury
  7. CPL Victoria vs. CPL Halifax
  8. CPL Regina vs. CPL Kitchener-Waterloo

C-Quarter-Finals

• 8 Teams left
  1. Vancouver Whitecaps vs. CPL Calgary
  2. Toronto FC vs. CPL Hamilton
  3. Montreal Impact vs. CPL Toronto
  4. CPL Victoria vs. CPL Regina

D-Semi-Finals

• 4 Teams left
  1. Vancouver Whitecaps vs. Toronto FC
  2. CPL Toronto vs. CPL Regina

E-Finals

• 2 Teams left
  1. Toronto derby: Toronto FC vs. CPL Toronto

Winner represents Canada in the CONCACAF Champions League

1 hour ago, admin said:

If it matters when you launch it, then you have done it wrong. 

Support for this has to be community based long term thinking.  It's the only reason to support it.  

Yeah, it doesn't really matter when it's launched. However, if is 2019, the 2018 World Cup should be used as a major platform for advertisement towards the league.

1 hour ago, Bison44 said:

WOW!  This thread is almost 3 years old and full of 300 pages of argument and speculation...and we still might be 2 more years away from a launch??  Is there a cap? If the thread gets to 500 pages will the site crash?  

I have a strong feeling we will find out

6 hours ago, Complete Homer said:

@shermanator care to weigh in? Was that tweet opinion or based on something? 

I know are least one ownership group was pushing 2019 for a fuller launch, has that sort of idea won over? 

What am I weighing in on? For the most part I ignore this thread, and half of the posts in this thread are from users I have on ignore.

Canada doesn't need to look to the US for ANYTHING. Ansem is exactly right. Canada has better sense than the US and better talent coming up. In fact, the CPL should be able to be superior to MLS from the get-go. MLS is only equivalent to Guatemala/El Salvador and it won't survive any other Champions League. 

Also, the 3 Canadian MLS clubs should join CPL at the launch or after 1-2 seasons. You'll see how quickly Canada can improve once we are liberated from stupid MLS rules that hold back quality.

Canada isn't the US and unlike our neighbours we don't reward or encourage mediocrity. The US is probably the most mediocre "superpower" in the world and Canada doesn't need to sink to their levels.

In all fairness... in my view from Halifax everything seems on track. I feel the frustration - we want some solid announcement! With that being said these guys tweeting have no idea whats going on in reality. This project is being held under tight wraps and all these 'blogsters' do not know a single bit more then any of us and in fact most know less. They are NOT being given any inside info, they have no real facts to report and they have no connections with those trying to get this going.

What we were told in Halifax by people who ARE working to get this going is we hope to have an announcement in April. Right now its March 10. Considering our local government issued a tender to build a world class soccer/rugby pitch its a good indication this league is serious. Work i happening behind the scenes - they wanna do this right.

A Pro league in Canad is  no brainier. Halifax and Hamilton are in for sure - there is no doubt in my mind there are 4 or 5 other markets that can be ready at launch to kick this off. To be honest I wouldn't pay these bloggers any attention cause they dont know a thing. No reason to panic CPL is coming in my view - if not 2018 - 2019 at the latest....

I'll make a few random observations.

Firstly, Dino Rossi isn't going to rock the boat in any way and will toe the party line because of the position he holds with L1O. Asking him to comment by tweet is only going to result in being told that the latest he has heard is whatever Victor Montagliani last said publicly on behalf of the CSA. That's not a criticism incidentally just the reality of how somebody that runs a league under the OSA/CSA umbrella is going to act, if he wants a decent amount of longevity inside the power structure of Canadian soccer.

Secondly, from everything I have seen over the years Paul Beirne is a straight shooter to a remarkable extent for somebody in the sort of corporate job he holds. Won't overhype things like a used car salesman (think Anthony Totera for the polar opposite in this regard) and will tell people what he can to the extent that won't jeopardize his employment. To paraphrase what he told the fan group guys, it was said to be a quiet time as there was still a lot of work to do behind the scenes, that the 2026 World Cup hosting bid was a lightning rod for the investors and there might be an announcement in a few months.

Don't see anything happening right now that contradicts what Paul Beirne told the fan groups and think that was also fully consistent with what the footysoldier (based in Vancouver and possibly close contacts with Victor Montagliani?) tweet contained, because CPL being a long shot for 2018 fits with might be an announcement in a few months. The launching in a World Cup year being less than ideal is not as off base as it sounds, in my opinion, because leagues that run a summer season tend to have major scheduling problems when the World Cup is on. How do you try to sell Hamilton Steelers vs FC London when it is up against England vs Argentina broadcast live? Good luck with that.

^Have to largely agree. If there's still any real work to be done at this point, I have a hard time seeing a ball being kicked in a year. If the attendance drop is actually significant in WC years, that risk combined with the benefit of launching with the late coming franchises could make 2019 the better choice anyway. Really, marketing *through* the WC cycle regarding the league seems like a good idea 

That said, I don't think Rossi is really toeing the party line here. If he was taking direction from Montagliani, I don't think he would say anything at all.

But who knows the last time someone briefed him, and who knows the last time Schaad had fresh info (or who the info was from). It's all a bit of a black box still

Archived