Canadian Premier League

ted

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1 hour ago, matty said:

Random question time: Would you rather the CPL have a spilt season like the NASL or a season with no split?

No split season, full breaks should only come during a World Cup or Gold Cup, the whole tournaments. Also, speaking of that, all international dates should halt games unlike MLS.

4 minutes ago, Macksam said:

No split season, full breaks should only come during a World Cup or Gold Cup, the whole tournaments. Also, speaking of that, all international dates should halt games unlike MLS.

If the season is April to October and 20 games all seems doable.

Standard Season
April 1
May 4
June 3 - friendlies
July 3 - league takes a break for clubs to play their big money friendlies
August 4
September 4 - friendlies
October 1 + playoffs

Gold/Confederations/World Cup
April 2
May 5
June 3 - friendlies
July OFF
August 5
September 3 - friendlies
October 2 + playoffs

A split season always seemed to be a great way to lose momentum to me. 

I'd say to not even break for the world cup or gold cup for the first while. Obviously avoid scheduling games in direct conflict with major games in the tournament, but you never know when someone might pick up a ticket or tune in for the first time after coming off a World cup soccer high 

If/when CPL gets to the point where there's enough internationals to legitimately disrupt lineups during the Gold Cup and/or World Cup, then would be the time to consider a split season 

4 minutes ago, Complete Homer said:

If/when CPL gets to the point where there's enough internationals to legitimately disrupt lineups during the Gold Cup and/or World Cup, then would be the time to consider a split season 

I personally think that'll happen relatively fast, with the Gold Cup, if the rumoured salary cap is correct. If it is then we'll be seeing a good number of Central American and Caribbean internationalers. If every team sends one CanMNT player and a Caribbean or Central American international then the league should break and direct fans to watch this stars in the Gold Cup.

Yeah especially with the weather up here I don't think the split season makes sense.  start a bit later than NASL and finish a bit sooner with no split.

They gave FC edmonton a bye first week because the weather will be too cold here the first week and I think they start on the road the first few weeks, but if all the teams are Canadian thats gonna be tricky to do.

10 hours ago, GuillermoDelQuarto said:

Yeah especially with the weather up here I don't think the split season makes sense.  start a bit later than NASL and finish a bit sooner with no split.

They gave FC edmonton a bye first week because the weather will be too cold here the first week and I think they start on the road the first few weeks, but if all the teams are Canadian thats gonna be tricky to do.

Maybe the CPL should follow in the CMNT footsteps and hold the first few weeks of the season in Florida behind closed doors.

Seriously though, I agree that we shouldn't throw away any precious time in our playable months. No split season. Break for Gold Cup and World Cup when it makes sense to do so.

8 minutes ago, Kent said:

Seriously though, I agree that we shouldn't throw away any precious time in our playable months. No split season. Break for Gold Cup and World Cup when it makes sense to do so.

Aside from World Cup, Gold Cup and international windows, the only break I support is a friendlies against big Euro clubs week. It'll bring in casual fans and lots of the moneys

1 hour ago, matty said:

Aside from World Cup, Gold Cup and international windows, the only break I support is a friendlies against big Euro clubs week. It'll bring in casual fans and lots of the moneys

Yeah, I'm not against the idea of those friendlies to generate money and awareness. I'm against it for TFC, but for CPL I think it could be useful in the early years.

17 minutes ago, PJSweet said:

It appears that suddenly Anthony Totera has gone very silent with his random tweets. I'm wondering as to what's going-on behind the scenes with the CPL?

Don't overthink it.  It doesn't do your mental health any good lol.

As for what's going on, they're taking their time and making sure they've got everything lined up so they hopefully don't screw it up.  They only have one chance to launch right...

36 minutes ago, PJSweet said:

It appears that suddenly Anthony Totera has gone very silent with his random tweets. I'm wondering as to what's going-on behind the scenes with the CPL?

I still legitimately don't think he's any more connected than this forum is so it probably means the same thing as this thread being quiet the last day or so.

Absolutely nothing.

I believe Totera has contacts involved in the league.  That being said I take what he says with a grain of salt.  The formation of a league is a long and fluid process and when they're ready to let us know officially they will.

Rollins said there could be an announcement in March on a podcast a while back, but sort of retreated from confirming it 100% because he had been incorrect so many times in the past.

I dunno, at this point I'm less suspicious of the league ever happening and more curious about what this league will look like. Some things make it sound really impressive, while other things make it sound really really rinky dink.

5 minutes ago, lazlo_80 said:

Rollins said there could be an announcement in March on a podcast a while back, but sort of retreated from confirming it 100% because he had been incorrect so many times in the past.

I dunno, at this point I'm less suspicious of the league ever happening and more curious about what this league will look like. Some things make it sound really impressive, while other things make it sound really really rinky dink.

One thing I can say as an absolute certainty is that this thread will be a lot more fun once we have actual information to feast on.

Hell, it's been fun enough without information.

1 minute ago, yothat said:

I doubt it ll happen .... maybe that just me. Would like to see teams start in the NASL or USL then break off after year 1. 

That would be a lot more difficult than it sounds. Entrance and exit fees. Teams getting cold feet about leaving. Confusing fans. Preemptively labelling yourself minor league by playing in one. 

Really, if you've got a dedicated core, just get the ball rolling. Half measures end up with stagnation 

3 minutes ago, yothat said:

I doubt it ll happen .... maybe that just me. Would like to see teams start in the NASL or USL then break off after year 1. 

I can't imagine any reason why NASL or USL would agree to that apart from a vast sum of money being thrown at them, a sum which would be better thrown at just simply making a league.

17 minutes ago, Diamondium said:

One thing I can say as an absolute certainty is that this thread will be a lot more fun once we have actual information to feast on.

Hell, it's been fun enough without information.

Agreed. The fact Bill Manning said it was going to happen was the thing for me that confirmed it'll get going. Now I just want to see what it is, where the teams are, who the owners are, the media deals, etc.

Archived