Canadian Premier League

ted

The important thing is to not lose perspective of the whole thing.  For those of us here in the bubble that have been waiting for a long time it sucks and easy to be demoralized at the lack of information/perceived progress.  But 99.9% of the country they're just starting to hear about it now.

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Absolutely. I'm not demoralized at all by how long it's taken. In fact I'm in favor of delaying it longer if it would help the launch. You're only going to get 1 first impression and you don't want to blow it. The "soft launch" wording that people like Duane Rollins uses concerns me.

5 minutes ago, lazlo_80 said:

Absolutely. I'm not demoralized at all by how long it's taken. In fact I'm in favor of delaying it longer if it would help the launch. You're only going to get 1 first impression and you don't want to blow it. The "soft launch" wording that people like Duane Rollins uses concerns me.

Yeah that is definitely a concern 

I want the ball rolling as much as anyone, but an 8 team league with finished facilities looks a lot better than 6 teams and/or 8 teams with a couple playing in a highschool stadium due to construction delays

But I (maybe against my experience as a Canadian soccer fan) trust those involved to make a good decision based on much broader information than we have available. All we can do is come to partial conclusions with incomplete information 

When they refer to a soft launch I don't think that they're not going to tell anyone about it.  I just think (no proof just my opinion) that they mean it won't be the number of teams that would be ideal (ie 6 as opposed to 8 or 10)   Agreed though that I don't want them to rush it with questions or lower numbers just to get it out there.

Yeah, you guys above both had the same thoughts as me. My big concern is there is no such thing as a "soft launch" in sports. This isn't some beta website you send only a few invites to, this is a league. The launch is the launch...and it will be the first impression most people get. 

25 minutes ago, lazlo_80 said:

Not only do you only get one first impression; you only really get one shot to make it work.

If you have two teams drop out after five years (like the Florida teams in MLS), you don't have thirty other cities able to support a Division I professional team that you can expand to.  You've got maybe a dozen places in this country that could realistically do it, and if it doesn't work in a couple of them, you don't have a lot of flexibility to grow the league elsewhere.

16 minutes ago, lazlo_80 said:

Yeah, you guys above both had the same thoughts as me. My big concern is there is no such thing as a "soft launch" in sports. This isn't some beta website you send only a few invites to, this is a league. The launch is the launch...and it will be the first impression most people get. 

I'll respectfully disagree on this one. In fact, most new leagues seem to have a 'soft launch' from what I've seen.

MLS, for example, as probably the most similar situation being a recently formed North American soccer league, had 10 teams to start (which would be similar equivalent to Canadian 6 teams IMO) with 2 more expanding after a couple of seasons, and more later. 

Makes sense too, if I was a potential owner, I'd wait to jump on the league until it's shown that it can be sustainable since that's such a massive and risky investment.

A soft launch is completely cool with me and, frankly, I fully expect it to happen.

Just now, Diamondium said:

I'll respectively disagree on this one. In fact, most new leagues seem to have a 'soft launch' from what I've seen.

MLS, for example, as probably the most similar situation being a recently formed North American soccer league, had 10 teams to start (which would be similar equivalent to Canadian 6 teams IMO) with 2 more expanding after a couple of seasons, and more later. 

Makes sense too, if I was a potential owner, I'd wait to jump on the league until it's shown that it can be sustainable since that's such a massive and risky investment.

A soft launch is completely cool with me and, frankly, I fully expect it to happen.

MLS had a launch. they pumped A TON of money and resources into it being a launch (cash, primetime TV, marketing, etc.). it was by no means a soft launch. 

6 minutes ago, lazlo_80 said:

MLS had a launch. they pumped A TON of money and resources into it being a launch (cash, primetime TV, marketing, etc.). it was by no means a soft launch. 

Ah, I was thinking you were referring more to team numbers than that aspect.

I'm not too worried about them soft launching in that respect. I think they realize that those are essential from the get-go no matter what. If they aren't doing those to the full capacity from day 1, the league is dead in a season or two. I think when they refer to soft launch they mean more 'less teams' aspect.

We're just arguing on the definition of a "soft launch" here.  It has to be numbers in my opinion not press release.  Like someone said, it's not like launching an app in one country or testing the Krusty Ribwich only in Springfield.  You can't launch a league and not tell anyone about it lol.

25 minutes ago, matty said:

Bored at work. What's everyone favorite plan b if the cpl doesn't happen? Mines embracing the nasl again and getting 3-5 more teams set up with them asap

That's pretty much my hopeful fallback position. Frankly to be honest, I would be ok with Hamilton getting an NASL team if the league wasn't constantly flirting with insolvency, that and wasn't bound to the USSF. Ideally the two league NASL (similar to Baseball's national and American leagues) one sanctioned by the CSA, the other the USSF would be ideal as a backup plan.

Of course, our own league takes priority though.

24 minutes ago, matty said:

Bored at work. What's everyone favorite plan b if the cpl doesn't happen? Mines embracing the nasl again and getting 3-5 more teams set up with them asap

Personal plan B: Be sad and continue the pipe dream of an Edmonton MLS team despite it never happening.

Country plan B: Probably go with your suggestion and try to pump a few teams into NASL in hopes that it survives. If you could get a Canadian division there, that would probably be the next best option to CPL.

36 minutes ago, matty said:

Not sure. Probably morphine.

1 hour ago, matty said:

Bored at work. What's everyone favorite plan b if the cpl doesn't happen?

Get the BC D3 happening and support a D3 on the Prairies and in the Maritimes (+ NL).

Make the V-Cup an actual knockout tournament with NASL team(s) entering in round three and MLS in round four.

3 hours ago, matty said:

This. I think it would be our best bet at further developing professional infrastructure. When FC Edmonton fully stabilizes and its fan base significantly increases, ownership groups in other cities will take notice and dive in....if we don't have our league that is.

2 hours ago, Macksam said:

This. I think it would be our best bet at further developing professional infrastructure. When FC Edmonton fully stabilizes and its fan base significantly increases, ownership groups in other cities will take notice and dive in....if we don't have our league that is.

I would settle for a Canadian NASL division, as long as we played more often against Canadian teams.

Archived