Canadian Premier League

ted

11 minutes ago, Alex D said:

I have no problem integrating with the US system if they allow us to FULLY integrate. 3 top flight teams is not enough for this country

That is what my post is predicated on.  Equal player status re domestics.   Or, barring that, strong action by the CSA to countersanction US players on Canadian teams.  basically, if CPL falls, MLS remains the best path to establishing a high quality player pool domestically.  But for that to happen, CSA needs to start getting serious about using the tools at its disposal to leverage the necessary changes.

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just a reminder, because we're in need of one it seems. We don't need to be the MLS, we should be more like these 2

On ‎2016‎-‎12‎-‎31 at 5:18 PM, Ansem said:

Also, I grow sick and tired of these endless comparison with the MLS.

The only thing we should get from them is the single entity model that makes it more likely for the league to succeed and stabilize in the long term in the North American context

Outside of that, can we look in Europe for comparaison?

Sweden

***Shocking, a league with attendance in the range being discuss for CPL can succeed and send their Champions in the toughest Champions League in the world and produce guys like Ibrahimovic. And they are a Division 1 league...with these numbers OMG***

Screenshot_20161231-171200.png

oh and they have stadiums with only 6k seats to 50k. Also, they play at the SAME TIME as MLS and CPL will be playing as well.

Population? Around 10M

Cities and population?

Screenshot_20161231-172451.png

The league?

Screenshot_20161231-172717.png

Oh and Malmö can keep up with Champions League teams, something MLS clubs wouldn't be able to do.

Let's stop this "MLS or bust" because I'd rather copy what Sweden is doing instead with 16 teams out of markets that are smaller than our own.

Emulating MLS would be a mistake of epic proportion.  Take what works and look elsewhere to make your product different, a more European feel with a Canadian touch. Ripping off the MLS is the worst idea so yep, I'm not afraid of markets like London, Kitchener Waterloo, Victoria or Moncton. I look forward to see their passion on TV and hopefully live

On ‎2016‎-‎12‎-‎31 at 5:56 PM, Ansem said:

I'll gladly double down on the above

Denmark: 5.7M habitants

Population by cities?

Screenshot_20161231-174925.png

The league?

Screenshot_20161231-174524.png

Attendance?

Average/total/max/min

Screenshot_20161231-174637.png

Their Champions goes to Champions League playoffs...so how did Copenhagen accomplish this year?

Screenshot_20161231-174742.pngScreenshot_20161231-174756.png

Not convince an MLS clubs would have fared better. 

So Denmark are smaller, have a smaller population, smaller cities/markets, yet they have a functioning/viable Division 1 league with attendance numbers in range of what's being thrown for CPL.

I'll take whatever those guys are doing. Bigger isn't always better. It's not how big you are or how much resources you have, it's how well you use it that matters and efficiency is key here.

That's what CPL should get inspiration from, not MLS

Just now, Ansem said:

You're out line to call me "pathetic and bratty".

Then most of Canada are "pathetic and bratty". How can you blame them? They've been let down for 30 years of consecutive failure with the CSA total indifference towards the teams and fans. They didn't give people reason to care, and that's why they don't and journalist usually roll their eyes at the mere mention of MNT.

Another reason why I don't post about MNT next manager is that it won't make a difference. Love or hate Floro, he was right. No domestic league means you can forget about it and on top of that, MLS being dicks at releasing players to participate in camps and practices, even U-20 tournaments. You could bring Guardiola himself and it wouldn't make a difference.

Most Canadians don't care. Yes that is because of failure but YOU have demonstrated that you care deeply and if don't get your way you're going to just quit caring for a reason that's often connected to why children quit things... because they don't get your way.

14 minutes ago, Ansem said:

For once, the CSA is trying to address it with a proper D1 league which hopefully will be successful making it easier to create D2 and fix D3. If that initiative fails, I have a right (like the overwhelming majority of Canadians) to say that I had enough. It's the CSA's jobs to make the fans care by taking concrete measures to change that excruciating status quo, not for the fans to care and support it no matter how negligent and incompetent the CSA would chose to keep managing the program. Sorry, but like in real life, I won't support a girlfriend treating me like crap for 30 years.

I don't support the CSA I support Canada. I think the CSA does a shitty job most of the time but I think most fans feel the same about their FAs.

5 minutes ago, Ansem said:

You're the one shifting the conversation towards a Plan B, not me. Plan A doesn't guarantee success, but most Canadians would rather be defeated by our own hands than by relying on USSF leagues that will most likely ensure more of the same.

Yes, I asked a question because I was bored at work that people answered casually and even joked with. While having to use a Plan B, no one acted like "I will lose all hope for the MNT" You outright said I " will no longer care to be bothered " by Canada because "I'm not getting my way".

4 minutes ago, matty said:

Most Canadians don't care. Yes that is because of failure but YOU have demonstrated that you care deeply and if don't get your way you're going to just quit caring for a reason that's often connected to why children quit things... because they don't get your way.

Yes I care and still hopeful we stick to CPL for better or for worse. Sometimes, tough love is what a child needs, not keep encouraging them making the same mistakes over and over again. If they revert back to the status quo under the USSF pyramid, perhaps abysmal TV ratings and empty stadiums ought to make them reconsider who they do business.

7 minutes ago, matty said:

I don't support the CSA I support Canada. I think the CSA does a shitty job most of the time but I think most fans feel the same about their FAs.

I think the CSA takes the cake here. No offense

8 minutes ago, matty said:

Yes, I asked a question because I was bored at work that people answered casually and even joked with. While having to use a Plan B, no one acted like "I will lose all hope for the MNT" You outright said I " will no longer care to be bothered " by Canada because "I'm not getting my way".

I could call you "naïve" but I don't. That's your opinion and you have the right to it. Same in reverse, I have a right to mine without publicly being call bratty and pathetic

8 minutes ago, Ansem said:

I could call you "naïve" but I don't. That's your opinion and you have the right to it. Same in reverse, I have a right to mine without publicly being call bratty and pathetic

Is it naive to say which plan b I would like to see? I never outright said plan b solves the issues or said it could even happen all I said was "this is what I would like if we can't get CPL". There's a massive difference between naive and openly dreaming.

The reason I called you out. Is because you're you, possibly the biggest cheerleader for the league (here) and the guy who puts haters, when they come up, in their place with debate, and I am outright shocked that you would just be so willing to quit.

9 minutes ago, matty said:

Is it naive to say which plan b I would like to see? I never outright said plan b solves the issues or said it could even happen all I said was "this is what I would like if we can't get CPL". There's a massive difference between naive and openly dreaming.

and going back to NASL or USL hoping that MLS will somehow expand here and expect a different result is naïve. If CPL folds, USSF pyramid isn't a better choice either. I'd rather we imitate the Toronto Wolfpack and beg Iceland and Denmark to start our teams in their D3 and have them work their way up. At least we'd learn a thing or two

12 minutes ago, matty said:

The reason I called you out. Is because you're you, possibly the biggest cheerleader for the league (here) and the guy who puts haters, when they come up, in their place with debate, and I am outright shocked that you would just be so willing to quit.

CPL not happening wouldn't make me quit, going back to status quo under the USSF will

Just now, MtlMario said:

I was trying to put B but that came up somehow.

Because plan B is the plan that smokes cigarettes, wears a leather jacket, rides a Triumph motorcycle with no helmet, is woke, is a kinky pansexual and works at that indie vegan coffee shop in Kensington where they sell their zines about awkward moments.

8 minutes ago, Ansem said:

and going back to NASL or USL hoping that MLS will somehow expand here and expect a different result is naïve. If CPL folds, USSF pyramid isn't a better choice either. I'd rather we imitate the Toronto Wolfpack and beg Iceland and Denmark to start our teams in their D3 and have them work their way up. At least we'd learn a thing or two

CPL not happening wouldn't make me quit, going back to status quo under the USSF will

It's hoping, if need be, we that we end up with at least 10 pro-teams (not counting USL) and hoping that shit helps which it will in at least expanding our number of teams and likely number of Canadians playing.

How the shit is having teams in Iceland or Denmark 3 better than NASL? In terms of quality it isn't and unless they reach Denmark 1 none will be. Also if you're concerned by empty stadiums, Iceland or Denmark 3 guarantee that. At least pitch a league system that will draw in Canada.

You left me speechless.

10 minutes ago, matty said:

Because plan B is the plan that smokes cigarettes, wears a leather jacket, rides a Triumph motorcycle with no helmet, is woke, is a kinky pansexual and works at that indie vegan coffee shop in Kensington where they sell their zines about awkward moments.

16 minutes ago, matty said:

It's hoping, if need be, we that we end up with at least 10 pro-teams (not counting USL) and hoping that shit helps which it will in at least expanding our number of teams and likely number of Canadians playing.

Level is too low to change the outcome of the national team in CONCACAF competition. USL might got a D2 sanction but they are clearly still D3

How the shit is having teams in Iceland or Denmark 3 better than NASL?

They play differently than North Americans, we should learn their system.

In terms of quality it isn't and unless they reach Denmark 1 none will be.

Good, have them work out of lower Divisions and if quality is that bad, they'll promote to D2 and eventually D1. Another of Floro observation is that our players aren't used to play a ball possession game, they aren't used of being constantly pressured thus forcing them to be more proactive at retrieving the ball and keeping the ball. They don't play enough minute against tougher opponent.

USL doesn't fix that. CPL at least gives them the minutes and flexibility to be allowed to make mistakes without the fear of being pulled and bench the next 10 games for 1 mistake. They'll push each other at least and learn and get better. In MLS or USL (outside of the Canadian teams), you're bench and get pulled...

Also if you're concerned by empty stadiums, Iceland or Denmark 3 guarantee that. At least pitch a league system that will draw in Canada.

USL doesn't draw in Canada, I'm willing to beg Scotland then, if it gives us a shot to promote and gets use better quality players learning a team system that can stand up to European power teams while being limited on talent. We're playing like the US but we're worse at it than they are. There's a lot of basics we need to learn (ball possession just to name that one) and we'd beneficiate way more with them than the USL or NASL

7 minutes ago, admin said:

If it matters when you launch it, then you have done it wrong. 

Support for this has to be community based long term thinking.  It's the only reason to support it.  

If there are 12 markets interested, might as well take the extra year to make sure they are all solid business proposals, committed to have proper infrastructure and launch a 12 team league. Most people would wait if it meant a single table of 12 teams playing in good looking stadiums. That extra year enables them to find the right soccer minds to manage the team and most importantly, scout!

You only get 1 good first impression.

18 minutes ago, Ansem said:

Level is too low to change the outcome of the national team in CONCACAF competition. USL might got a D2 sanction but they are clearly still D3

NASL is decent CONCACAF league. I agree it won't likely make us a powerhouse but it could makes us more competitive if the Canadians teams were to give a good amount of minutes. Same could possibly be said of CPL. 

18 minutes ago, Ansem said:

USL doesn't draw in Canada, I'm willing to beg Scotland then, if it gives us a shot to promote and gets use better quality players learning a team system that can stand up to European power teams while being limited on talent. We're playing like the US but we're worse at it than they are. There's a lot of basics we need to learn (ball possession just to name that one) and we'd beneficiate way more with them than the USL or NASL

We don't play UEFA teams to qualify. If you're looking for an alternative to the US then at least say Mexico. Saying we should turn to UEFA to solve our issues is some radical as fuck shit and it's destined to be a bigger cluster fuck than any other plan. Canada would become a nation with two confederation that has to play by the rules of 3 FAs.

You're acting like Canada need to totally dump it's path rather than either alter it slightly or expand its current crop. A lot of our issues are because we have a shallow pool of strong players and there's not enough entry for players to play pro domestically not because guys have no idea how to do shit or training isn't right.

16 minutes ago, admin said:

If it matters when you launch it, then you have done it wrong. 

Support for this has to be community based long term thinking.  It's the only reason to support it.  

Yeah, I just feel bad for areas that don't have a team. Luckily here in the Grand River basin we have KW United FC to watch.

1 minute ago, matty said:

NASL is decent CONCACAF league. I agree it won't make us a powerhouse but it could makes us more competitive if the Canadians teams were to give a good amount of minutes.

We don't play UEFA teams to qualify. If you're looking for an alternative to the US then at least say Mexico. Saying we should turn to UEFA to solve our issues is some radical as fuck shit and it's destined to be a bigger cluster fuck than any other plan. Canada would become a nation with two confederation that has to play by the rules of 3 FAs.

You're acting like Canada need to totally dump it's path rather than either alter it slightly or expand its current crop. A lot of our issues are because we have a shallow pool of strong players and there's not enough entry for players to play pro domestically not because guys have no idea how to do shit or training isn't right.

I know none of the above would happen. Just my personal Plan B (just for fun)

Whatever that plan B may be, USSF isn't the solution. Hate to say it but CPL is the best shot we have.

Archived