Canadian Premier League

ted

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, baulderdash77 said:

I haven't read or heard any rumours that the quota would be only 3 players.  I had always heard something in the 50% range, which is around 12 players.

Did I miss an update?  

It was from Two Solitudes a couple months back. Rollins said there is a bit of a gap between the CFL owners who are wary of overinflating the market value of Canadian players and hurting the quality of the league, while the CSA had envisioned a fairly high quota. 

Hopefully we end up with a middle ground. A small roster quota + 3 mandatory starters seems like a reasonable way to satisfy both sides

3 minutes ago, Complete Homer said:

It was from Two Solitudes a couple months back. Rollins said there is a bit of a gap between the CFL owners who are wary of overinflating the market value of Canadian players and hurting the quality of the league, while the CSA had envisioned a fairly high quota. 

Hopefully we end up with a middle ground. A small roster quota + 3 mandatory starters seems like a reasonable way to satisfy both sides

Wouldn't allowing 8 foreign flag players do the same thing?  

It would guarantee 3 Canadian starters at least, while providing roster spots for Canadians also allowing 8 foreign (possibly better) players to raise the quality on the pitch.

The salary cap and market demands will dictate that the foreign players will get a large part of the cap.

5 hours ago, baulderdash77 said:

Wouldn't allowing 8 foreign flag players do the same thing?  

It would guarantee 3 Canadian starters at least, while providing roster spots for Canadians also allowing 8 foreign (possibly better) players to raise the quality on the pitch.

The salary cap and market demands will dictate that the foreign players will get a large part of the cap.

I think the debate is which roster. Some think total roster others think game day or starting 11. 3 canadians total on a roster would suck but gameday is ok i think if there are expanded rules for playing time. 3 in a starting 11 is god tier good

23 minutes ago, baulderdash77 said:

True, but I can see them being wary of inflating the value of the contracts awarded to roster spots 12-25 by mandating that they have to be Canadians. Suddenly you're really inflating the value of guys who are probably MLS2 castoffs and L1O level. 

Which would be useful for the CMNT for sure, cresting a much larger economic driver to encourage talented kids to stay in the pipeline, but I can see how the owners themselves wouldn't be thrilled to be hugely overpaying their depth players 

If you had 3 mandatory starters, you could compromise to garauntee significant Canadian playing time while letting the owners off the hook for overpaying depth 

On the other hand of the cap is 1.5 million with a 40k minimum and  24 roster spots there's only 520k to pay guys above the league min for the whole team.

You have to think most of the 12-24 guys will be making the league minimum.  That really starts limiting where you get those players from.  The USL pool of played is the most abundant to fill out the bench. 

On the other hand of the cap is 1.5 million with a 40k minimum and  24 roster spots there's only 520k to pay guys above the league min for the whole team.

You have to think most of the 12-24 guys will be making the league minimum.  That really starts limiting where you get those players from.  The USL pool of played is the most abundant to fill out the bench. 

I'm sure there will be ways to get around the cap similar to what mls has (dps and acclocation money).

Likely guys 12 to 18 will be making a living wage and 19 to 24 will be on a league minimum around 25k

39 minutes ago, baulderdash77 said:

True, but I suspect league minimum will be quite a bit lower than 40k

5 hours ago, Ansem said:

We don't know what the cap is...yet. Could be higher than $1.5M

CFL:$5M

50% of CFL is $2.5M

I feel that $1.5M won't be enough for the ambitions we're talking about.

Cfl rosters are like 45 guys and average pay is like 90k or something and 5k isn't near 50% of cfl attendance so i think suggesting half the pay is a tad off right now.

1.5 to 2m is what rollins reported originally and both are workable.

1.5 easily could do what people here want if things like allocation money and dp rules are there. It is after all the 3rd highest salary scale in concacaf

49 minutes ago, Complete Homer said:

....Which would be useful for the CMNT for sure, cresting a much larger economic driver to encourage talented kids to stay in the pipeline, but I can see how the owners themselves wouldn't be thrilled to be hugely overpaying their depth players...

...and on a forum dedicated to the CMNT I know which side of the equation I am on in all of that. There is very little solid evidence that CFL owners have any significant interest in "CPL" beyond Hamilton, so maybe the CSA should be looking for owners that have a vision that is a better fit for smaller markets and the interests of the CMNT? Would have thought present day and former PDL teams would be a good starting point.

That's probably true.  The MLS minimum salary was 30k not too many years ago and they managed to fill the bottom of the roster.  

Its all a zero sum game with a hard cap which is why the inflation of domestics isn't as big of an issue as it's made out to be.

Starters in this league are going to be making 75-120k probably and bench players <50k.  There's really no way around it.

You can field a quality roster with starters making 75-120, especially if your filling it up with 8 foreign players from Latin America or the Caribbean. 

You can field a quality roster with starters making 75-120, especially if your filling it up with 8 foreign players from Latin America or the Caribbean. 

Also Americans (there will be more of them than either of those demos i bet)

5 hours ago, Ansem said:

I think it will be harder for American to get spots if they count as Internationals

No it won't and deep inside you know it.

Americans will be more willing to sign up and more willing to take bench spots than most others I'm sure.

A starting xi will mostly go: 3 canadians, 3 americans, 2-3 central american and caribbean guys, 2-3 other

Bench mostly: 3 canadians, 3 Americans 1 other

Oh God I hope CPL doesn't use allocation money.

I agree with Matty though that I wouldn't be surprised to see lots of American's in the international spots. I imagine the scouting budgets for these teams would start out pretty low, so grabbing some guys from NCAA or whoever falls off of MLS rosters will be easy pickings.

26 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

...and on a forum dedicated to the CMNT I know which side of the equation I am on in all of that. There is very little solid evidence that CFL owners have any significant interest in "CPL" beyond Hamilton, so maybe the CSA should be looking for owners that have a vision that is a better fit for smaller markets and the interests of the CMNT? Would have thought present day and former PDL teams would be a good starting point.

1) Not sure how you're still on about no evidence for CFL teams. Between Rollins, the Kitchener meeting, and Larson naming CFL cities, there's plenty of evidence that there is significant involvement from CFL owners. If we are seriously talking about the quota of 3 players vs a high quota, it's bit silly to throw out CFL involvement, as the source of both of those stories is exactly the same. If your standard of evidence is official announcements, might as well check out of this thread until there is a actual announcement 

2) The majority of PDL team owners don't have the resources to pull a league on any real calibre. We need a first division as a destination for prospects, not another development league

21 minutes ago, matty said:

No it won't and deep inside you know it.

Americans will be more willing to sign up and more willing to take bench spots than most others I'm sure.

A starting xi will mostly go: 3 canadians, 3 americans, 2-3 central american and caribbean guys, 2-3 other

Bench mostly: 3 canadians, 3 Americans 1 other

No I don't know that. I said "harder" not impossible.

Very good Americans are oversee or in MLS. Those good enough in USL to crack a bench spot in MLS or on the right path are unlikely to risk a CPL move.

I'm sorry, but after we eliminate the elites, the top domestic tier in MLS and the average ones benching, what do you have left in terms of talent? Oh and MLS keeps on expending on top of that.

If they count as Internationals, Europeans, Central Americans, Africans and South Americans makes more sense than Americans. Same logic applies in MLS, hence Canadians players barely being in that league.

5 minutes ago, Pat Carrasco said:

If I heard Anthony Totera correctly, it appears that the CSA may have promised the new coach of Canada's national men team a new pro league. Can someone here confirm this info as being correct?

Really not surprising, it's already a daunting task to coach Canada, let alone without a league. It's a lot to ask someone to come here to fail without at least some tools to give him a chance to succeed.

This guy will be here 2 cycles at the very least.

Archived