Canadian Premier League

ted

41 minutes ago, Ansem said:

I disagree with Totera about coach and support staff having to be Canadians. You get the best out there to develop Canadian soccer, players and league. Period...regardless of where they are from

You could say that but you could also say that the CPL should be used to also develop Canadian coaches which is something many feel we don't do well at all.

MLS has groomed Bruce Arena and Bob Bradley for the USMNT (Schmid as well you could say) and it's giving the US a large pool of guys that know US soccer they could possibly hand the reigns over to when the time comes. The CPL should do something similar and provide a Canadian pool that could be called on in times of need.

I don't agree that everyone should be Canadian but there needs to be Canadians on the bench in this league.

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, matty said:

...MLS has groomed Bruce Arena and Bob Bradley for the USMNT...

...and Frank Yallop for the CMNT. More pro soccer teams setting up shop in Canada and providing more job opportunities would obviously be a good thing. Given we have been told that "CPL" would want a domestic quota of only 3 or 4 Canadians, it is not clear cut at this point that having a Canadian league under CSA sanctioning as opposed to more teams in USSF sanctioned leagues would really change anything fundamental in terms of Canadian players struggling to be starters on the teams they play for, if the model of operations that the Ticats appear to want were to be adopted. If we are going to see a domestic league launched in the years ahead I hope the CSA sticks to its guns and insists on 75% domestic roster content on the playing side, because otherwise what's the point? Agree with Ansem that you go out and find the best you can on the coaching and GM side of things.

Not to derail the thread, but they are specifically talking about hiring a guy from the Red Bulls to run some of their social media (where they recently let a bunch of guys go). From what I have seen they actually head hunted him, position wasn't posted anywhere.

2 hours ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

If we are going to see a domestic league launched in the years ahead I hope the CSA sticks to its guns and insists on 75% domestic roster content on the playing side, because otherwise what's the point? 

I don't know, maybe having professional infrastructure and grass roots development in place so soccer playing kids in this country can aspire to something?

39 minutes ago, Macksam said:

I don't know, maybe having professional infrastructure and grass roots development in place so soccer playing kids in this country can aspire to something?

....only to get beaten out for spots on our clubs by players from countries with a 100 year head start on us? No thanks. Big quotas for me too please...

I would prefer big quotas too, but the difference between CPL vs USSF leagues with similar quotas is that the CSA has more control over the quotas going forward, plus they can allow as many teams, from whatever markets they want.

I am going to put on my BBTB hat and look into something too much (and repeat the same thing I said last week). The new Voyageurs Cup quota clearly indicates they will go with a 3 Canadian starters each game rule in the CPL. So that is already a stronger quota than MLS, and it could very well grow in the future (provided CPL survives of course).

2 hours ago, jpg75 said:

....only to get beaten out for spots on our clubs by players from countries with a 100 year head start on us? No thanks. Big quotas for me too please...

All I'm saying is I would rather have a professional league without quotas  vs no professional league at all. Wouldn't you?

1 hour ago, grasshopper1917 said:

Honestly I don't think any of these guys have any 'contacts'. I would completely ignore them.  

I think they do but they just get ahead of things and don't follow general journalistic rules because of their passion. These guys appear on enough legit shows and get enough legit guests that they aren't some crazy guys making up stuff for kicks 

But then again I was accused of being Rollins for asking why people here don't like him generally lol

I dont know exactly how they would do it but there should be some sort of minimum quota on coaches/management etc.  There needs to be more CDN in all facets of the game.  The CDN MLS teams have started to move the needle a bit (Biello/Braz, Bent/Pozniak/Daso, Koch etc) and its great to see DeGuz, Nash, Onstad getting assistant jobs but we need more.  Look how DosSantos (Fury.Swope,San Fran) and Budalic (Orlando) have managed to maybe open the door for some canadian players.  I know you want the best coaches in CPL for the youngsters but if we dont devleop coaches to go along with the new generation of players, we will still be sucking the hind tit.  

1 hour ago, Macksam said:

All I'm saying is I would rather have a professional league without quotas  vs no professional league at all. Wouldn't you?

Sure, but i'd rather a professional league with quotas than a pro league without quotas. Look at what we have now, it's a fuckin' joke.

6 hours ago, Levi Oakey said:

Not to derail the thread, but they are specifically talking about hiring a guy from the Red Bulls to run some of their social media (where they recently let a bunch of guys go). From what I have seen they actually head hunted him, position wasn't posted anywhere.

Interesting. Same as the usual source on your end? 

I know there's a fairly prominent consulting firm involved in the league in some capacity, wouldn't be shocked to learn that they are doing the headhunting for key league positions 

4 hours ago, Complete Homer said:

Interesting. Same as the usual source on your end? 

I know there's a fairly prominent consulting firm involved in the league in some capacity, wouldn't be shocked to learn that they are doing the headhunting for key league positions 

Just know people in the industry. It wasn't an open position because I know people who have been checking the site for a job like that for ages. Have great resumes but they couldn't even apply. You have one of the best new media schools in North America but they used SUM (my guess) to get this guy from NY. You can find him on twitter.

Either way, I find that stuff pretty xenophobic. The answer in my mind isn't that TFC needs to be an only Canadians club, that's kind silly. But that we need more opportunity. If you live in Canada and want to get paid to do soccer social media you have three clubs. 

I'd like us to follow China's example and require CanCon at all times on the field (maybe 3 guys including a u23) and have at least 3 on the bench including a u23. I feel this would be better for Canada and is more doable than a 75% roster rule. Hopefully the 3 to 4 guys is a number that's flexible and only for game day rosters.

In China there are only 3 or 4 imports allowed per roster, so the teams are always mainly comprised of PRC citizens in a similar way to Australia's A league setup. Think the angle of the "CPL" investors in all of this is that they need a low domestic quota to be able to compete with the three MLS teams as they genuinely do want to be seen as the Canadian Premier League rather than having a developmental format. From a CMNT standpoint it's really the latter scenario that we need.

5 hours ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

In China there are only 3 or 4 imports allowed per roster, so the teams are always mainly comprised of PRC citizens in a similar way to Australia's A league setup. Think the angle of the "CPL" investors in all of this is that they need a low domestic quota to be able to compete with the three MLS teams as they genuinely do want to be seen as the Canadian Premier League rather than having a developmental format. From a CMNT standpoint it's really the latter scenario that we need.

I know, i was using a variant on their rules maining with the u23s (they require one start and one on the bench). Having a lower game day roster requirement can help the canmnt if there are such rules in place as i suggested which not only secures Canadian playing time and develop some u23s but also exposes Canadians to high level concacaf imports from central america and the Caribbean (assuming they're there). While 75% would be rockin and would help get us playing, playing against Canadians won't help improve Canadian soccer as much as playing against latin players will imo.

12 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

Disagree.

If the idea is to be essentially a Canadian version of MLS, it is hard to say that would help the CMNT less than a developmental league that focuses on youth.  Yes, the latter would be a good asset as well, but a full 8 team pro league at least somewhat on par with MLS with a 3-4 player quota provides an additional 24-32 rsoter spots for Canadian pros, at a minimum.  Hard to see how that wouldn't be a huge asset to CMNT, especially if the level of play was higher than a developmental league.  Throw in the fact that a genuine CPL would also involve academies and developmental structure, and I think it is silly to pretend that it would do less than a pro youth league.

At no point did I suggest that there should be a pro youth league, so the last bit is basically a strawman argument. The problem right now is that the gap between being a standout on a U-18 Academy team and being an MLS starter is way too big and players are losing direction in the chasm in between. We need a D2 level pro league with lots of Canadians playing in it that those Academy standouts that are CMNT prospects can start in as 19-21 year olds and develop as players in a similar way to what would happen to their counterparts with lower division clubs in Europe or Central America, so they can then make the next step to being a starter in our own D1, which is and will continue to be MLS whether people like it or not, or at a strong level over in Europe. We don't need even more pro teams where they wind up sitting on the bench. The problem at the moment is that everything beneath MLS/NASL/USL level is basically amateur level stuff watched by friends and family and the culture of lower division professional soccer doesn't really exist any more in the way it did back in the 1970s when there were reasonably well-financed and supported NSL teams operating beneath the NASL level.

2 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

so they can then make the next step to being a starter in our own D1

It's clearly not "our own"

That's why I always wanted the Canadian MLS clubs to work with CPL team to start at D2

5 hours ago, Ansem said:

It's clearly not "our own"

That's why I always wanted the Canadian MLS clubs to work with CPL team to start at D2

I think that would be great but unlikely sadly. Maybe an old school reserve regional reserve leagues once we reach enough teams for conferences.

I think having the cpl will change up the d3 focus to exclusively elite level u20 players with a max of 3 over age players a team. Our u18 academies are strong at the current time but we need a polishing stage for 18 to 20 year olds.

Based on the proposed salary cap the CPL is shooting for high-end NASL quality of play. This is the perfect place for young Canadians to develop. Even if they are stuck behind a foreigner it's not like trying to take a spot from Giovinco or Piatti. 

Also, I imagine there will be many more Canadians per team than the quota if it is only 3. It's just economics, the owners don't want to drive up the cost of Canadian players with large mandatory minimum quotas. 

2 hours ago, matty said:

I think that would be great but unlikely sadly. Maybe an old school reserve regional reserve leagues once we reach enough teams for conferences.

I think having the cpl will change up the d3 focus to exclusively elite level u20 players with a max of 3 over age players a team. Our u18 academies are strong at the current time but we need a polishing stage for 18 to 20 year olds.

I remember Rossi indicating he could see L1O adopting a CPL-type role in time, which fits that sort of vision

2 minutes ago, baulderdash77 said:

I haven't read or heard any rumours that the quota would be only 3 players.  I had always heard something in the 50% range, which is around 12 players.

Did I miss an update?  

Spaculation based on the Voyageurs cup requirements requiring 3 starters being Canadian.

Archived