Canadian Premier League

ted

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Rheo said:

I don't believe he does.  He just doesn't think it will succeed and that USL/NASL are the only way it'll work.  Agree to disagree

Good to see somebody on here understands the English language. If they have/get 6+ solid investors with a willingness to burn through a few million in the early years that are not looking to make a quick buck to sign letters of intent then by all means go for it. If not, then it's time to move on, especially if they are only at 2 or 3 on that.

1 minute ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

Good to see somebody on here understands the English language. If they have/get 6+ solid investors with a willingness to burn through a few million in the early years that are not looking to make a quick buck to sign letters of intent then by all means go for it. If not, then it's time to move on, especially if they are only at 2 or 3 on that.

I legit missed the if in that sentence and have apologised for my mistake.

17 minutes ago, Rheo said:

Lol sorry to be so quick.  Didn't mean to fan things.  

It's ok. I gave it a quick read, missed that if and posted in moderate wtf shock (dyslexia mixed with the adhd can be a motherfucker in big blocks of text). Should have double read to make sure but idiot cause a trio of things just happened here

4 hours ago, matty said:

It's ok. I gave it a quick read, missed that if and posted in moderate wtf shock (dyslexia mixed with the adhd can be a motherfucker in big blocks of text). Should have double read to make sure but idiot cause a trio of things just happened here

Don't worry about it...in the end BBTB is still a dick...I just don't understand why he can't start his own " Made in USA " thread.

14 minutes ago, longlugan said:

Don't worry about it...in the end BBTB is still a dick...I just don't understand why he can't start his own " Made in USA " thread.

I don't think he's a dick just stubborn, defensive and aggressive on this topic with his narrative of how things are going and when he's challenged, we all are.

Anyways, I saw this on r/soccer and figured I'd mention this here. Some guy Periscoped the Man City-Crystal Palace FA Cup game and 140k viewers. When it comes to streaming games (which comes up a lot here) I think using Periscope for select games would be a great way to attract those who would otherwise not pay attention to the CPL. Not just off of this story but I Periscoped a bit of a film fest I run and the stream was viewed by a few hundred people and resulted in about 20 new Twitter followers and ok web traffic. If the CFL is really involved, using their accounts to do the streams would likely result in a bigger local audience for a Periscope session.

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/sport/new-craze-brings-in-140-000-viewers-vfnxn60cg

I mean really if you think about it..... If the entire CFL are investors in the league maybe they could work the CPL into their deal with TSN.

Have you ever seen some of the stuff on TSN? Dog shows, 2 year old dart matches, pool trick shots and 7 celebrity poker shows  lol  Im sure they could always use cheap content. 

I know that may be a far out statement that is wild speculation....... but at the end of the day really most of what we are talking about is just sheer speculation outside of Hamilton and Halifax.

48 minutes ago, grasshopper1917 said:

I know that may be a far out statement that is wild speculation....... but at the end of the day really most of what we are talking about is just sheer speculation outside of Hamilton and Halifax.

I'd say it's educated speculation.

On 2/2/2017 at 3:05 PM, Ansem said:

Canadian domestics vs American domestics: I think the gap is much more narrow than people realize. We have great quality in Canada but their inability to play consistent minutes at a high level severely slow down/stop their potential growth. Overall, I'd say American domestics in MLS are better but Canadians playing consistent minutes allowing them to learn, make mistakes and grow will narrow that gap faster than people realize.

Canada has much better domestics than the US, and we're also making better decisions on how to properly develop young players than the US. American domestics are worthless, that's why no other league wants them. 

4 hours ago, longlugan said:

He may be a bit of a dick, but without him and the arguments his posts provoke, I bet this thread would only be about 100 pages long.

I thoroughly enjoy the different opinions and perspectives that I read in this thread. The issue of additional Canadian teams/a new league isn't clear cut - good arguments have been made from multiple angles. I really hope the CPL emerges and isn't just another flash-in-the-pan, but at the end of the day we all want additional Canadian pro teams and a marked improvement in the quality of Canadian soccer.

23 hours ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

Hopefully if the Ticats "CPL" plan does fall through over the next few months due to lack of investor interest that will be the plan B and this whole saga won't be allowed to drag on indefinitely.

image.png

Whenever BBTB speaks, dem boys be looking

23 hours ago, matty said:

It's alright bro. I missed the "if" as well initially, like everyone else on here probably. I assume the way the sentence was worded, and who was posting lol, our eyes were suppose to play that trick on us.

On 04/02/2017 at 0:47 PM, GuillermoDelQuarto said:

also, just thought of this, but we should consider getting some Vs together to do a live stream for CanMNT games and Soccer Night in Canada games once it comes around.  Have beers, maybe blunts and get ridiculous.  We have disruptive media aka the internet lol might as well use it.

lol you're a real millenial

On 2/3/2017 at 1:23 PM, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

The only possible stumbling block would be that USSF D2 leagues have to have 75% of their teams in metro areas that are bigger than 750,000, but I suspect that's not an issue as there were very few of those (from memory only Harrisburg) when Peter Wilt did a blog listing the population sizes of markets as one of the factors predicting expansion success. With 30+ teams now in USL and still growing there is also scope for at least four and probably five more Canadian teams in USL before the 75% teams in the USA thing would become an issue and presumably if there were more than that ready to go then the domestic pro league will actually happen in the not too distant future. Hopefully if the Ticats "CPL" plan does fall through over the next few months due to lack of investor interest that will be the plan B and this whole saga won't be allowed to drag on indefinitely.

You see my biggest spiel for the best possible execution of the CPL is to pimp the US pyramid for the time being. The results and development that we have seen from the 5 Canadian clubs that have contributed to the national team in some shape or form has been good....Now if we double the amount, we can turn it to great. The "pimping" aspect would be to focus on creating 6-8 teams with top to bottom academies in either USL or NASL from 2018 - 2022Between that time, we should focus on the things that make our clubs great (fans, sss, culture, community engagement, and youth development.) Having the infrastructure, supporter groups and necessary sponsorships established, the growing pains, financial strains, and overall commitment will be less obvious based on the existing stability of the respective leagues. 

The goal would be to launch the CPL with ALL MLS, NASL, AND USL teams in 2026 with a potential World Cup hosted in Canada.

@rob.notenboom refuses to self-promote, so I'll do it on his behalf!

Fun podcast with some of the Wanderers SG guys. I like the series of interviews with the supporter's groups that are popping up. It'd be neat to repeat the series in a year to see where they are, what their numbers look like, etc

http://podbay.fm/show/625923470/e/1486346400?autostart=1

1 hour ago, Complete Homer said:

@rob.notenboom refuses to self-promote, so I'll do it on his behalf!

Fun podcast with some of the Wanderers SG guys. I like the series of interviews with the supporter's groups that are popping up. It'd be neat to repeat the series in a year to see where they are, what their numbers look like, etc

http://podbay.fm/show/625923470/e/1486346400?autostart=1

Chuckle. Well 'refuse' might be a strong word. But I'd rather not spam the forum with my stuff. 

Thanks for the support though. 

Archived