Canadian Premier League

ted

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting that we're talking 6 CFL-related teams - lets us narrow down some of our assumptions.  Remember that only leaves us with 3 CFL teams without a CPL team.

We assumed the Eskies got along fairly well with the Faths and wouldn't challenge.
We assumed Vancouver and Montreal didn't have the public interest for a second team.
We assumed the Argos were doing bad enough on their own and couldn't challenge MLSE/TFC.
We're still not sure what OFFC is doing.
We know that Hamilton's getting a team if anyone is.
That leaves Calgary, Sask, and Winnipeg as black holes of info.

Let's assume that (for the sake of argument) those last four are in.  Hamilton, Calgary, Sask, and Winnipeg (still really unsure if Sask could thrive).  Despite everything that's gone on, I have to think OFFC would be in - I can't see the CFL pursuing the project if their one owner already in the mix didn't think it would fly, and the CFL would put massive pressure on OSEG to help out their joint investment.

That leaves one from Edmonton, Vancouver, Montreal, and Toronto, and from these options, I think you'd be looking at an outside location.  Edmonton certainly doesn't have the ability to support two pro teams - it apparently barely has the ability to support one - and there's not really another option in the province outside of Calgary.  The Argos won't do well challenging TFC, but could they be a partner for MLSE to support a team in London?  Similarly with Montreal; most on here seem to suspect that Montrealers are a one-team crowd, but could the Als expand their footprint with a CPL team in Quebec City?  The same logic could be expected for a Lions + Victoria/Mainland setup.  Problem with all of these is that the outside locations don't exactly help keep stadium costs down.

The other rumour we had was that an outside investor might try to launch a rival team to OFFC in Ottawa if they didn't join.  If the CFL is, in fact, the power behind this league, I don't think there's a chance in hell they'll let an outsider try to supplant one of their own.

11 minutes ago, Gopherbashi said:

Interesting that we're talking 6 CFL-related teams - lets us narrow down some of our assumptions.  Remember that only leaves us with 3 CFL teams without a CPL team.

We assumed the Eskies got along fairly well with the Faths and wouldn't challenge.
We assumed Vancouver and Montreal didn't have the public interest for a second team.
We assumed the Argos were doing bad enough on their own and couldn't challenge MLSE/TFC.
We're still not sure what OFFC is doing.
We know that Hamilton's getting a team if anyone is.
That leaves Calgary, Sask, and Winnipeg as black holes of info.

Let's assume that (for the sake of argument) those last four are in.  Hamilton, Calgary, Sask, and Winnipeg (still really unsure if Sask could thrive).  Despite everything that's gone on, I have to think OFFC would be in - I can't see the CFL pursuing the project if their one owner already in the mix didn't think it would fly, and the CFL would put massive pressure on OSEG to help out their joint investment.

That leaves one from Edmonton, Vancouver, Montreal, and Toronto, and from these options, I think you'd be looking at an outside location.  Edmonton certainly doesn't have the ability to support two pro teams - it apparently barely has the ability to support one - and there's not really another option in the province outside of Calgary.  The Argos won't do well challenging TFC, but could they be a partner for MLSE to support a team in London?  Similarly with Montreal; most on here seem to suspect that Montrealers are a one-team crowd, but could the Als expand their footprint with a CPL team in Quebec City?  The same logic could be expected for a Lions + Victoria/Mainland setup.  Problem with all of these is that the outside locations don't exactly help keep stadium costs down.

The other rumour we had was that an outside investor might try to launch a rival team to OFFC in Ottawa if they didn't join.  If the CFL is, in fact, the power behind this league, I don't think there's a chance in hell they'll let an outsider try to supplant one of their own.

I'd throw in the possibility that BC might entertain the possibility of launching a team outside their immediate area, but otherwise 6 teams makes sense to me. I don't think it's just about keeping stadium costs down, it's about becoming a larger sports corp that hedges its bets across several sports, and apparently the Lions look at the suburbs as their core support anyway.

Still, the "Toronto-based billionaire" that got passed around so much doesn't fit in here. Maybe it is 5 CFL + that guy. Who knows.

My guess at who is "in"

Hamilton - lock

Calgary - heavily rumoured

Winnipeg - heavily rumoured

Regina - heavily rumoured

OFFC - Rumours flip flop but I'm pretty suspicious that they'll be part of the core

BC Lions - I suspect mainland, though the lack of rumours is concerning. OR unrelated Toronto-based investor

Not launching teams IMO:

Argos - Obvious reasons

Edmonton - If FC Edmonton is struggling they wouldn't be ready to launch a competitor

Montreal - Not competing with the Impact in that market, owner is a complete football guy who might not want to sink more money into Montreal sports

6 CFL owned team? I can't listen right now but is that what's being said or is it just 6 teams confirmed and people here are throwing 6 CFL owners because 6 CFL teams throws out the Toronto billionaire team completely and possibly makes the Fury move and Impact shutting down FC Montreal the dumbest choices ever if they are in fact in the picture?

That said it is possible they are doing a western focus with Victoria (owned by the Lions), Calgary (F-S), Regina (RR) and Winnipeg (BB) joined by Hamilton (TC) and Fury or Toronto team.

47 minutes ago, Complete Homer said:

It's speculated that they are KW/Hal, but it was not confirmed by their source

Have listened to the podcast and it sounds like they are speculating based on second and third hand information and are not directly in the loop on this stuff. Rumours of TFC and the Whitecaps being potentially involved in a K/W context also gets a mention in the podcast as well. Scary if the 8000-10,000 that gets mentioned is what the people directly  involved genuinely think they can get.

Just now, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

Have listened to the podcast and it sound like they are speculating based on second and third hand information and are not directly in the loop on this stuff. Rumours of TFC and the Whitecaps being potentially involved in a K/W context also gets a mention in the podcast as well. Scary if the 8000-10,000 that gets mentioned is what the people directly  involved genuinely think they can get.

I know who their info is from, it's not 2nd/3rd hand information. Though it's not the most senior source

1 minute ago, matty said:

6 CFL owned team? I can't listen right now but is that what's being said or is it just 6 teams confirmed and people here are throwing 6 CFL owners because 6 CFL teams throws out the Toronto billionaire team completely and possibly makes the Fury move and Impact shutting down FC Montreal the dumbest choices ever if they are in fact in the picture?

People are saying 6 CFL owners because of this apparently being a CFL project and owners outside the CFL (ie. Halifax, KW) are the ones we're hearing rumours about.

8 minutes ago, Gopherbashi said:

People are saying 6 CFL owners because of this apparently being a CFL project and owners outside the CFL (ie. Halifax, KW) are the ones we're hearing rumours about.

I get it being a CFL project but just was wondering if they actually said on the podcast 6 CFL teams will have CPL teams or if people here were just throwing that out there?

Also good to see KW is getting the jump 20 year ahead card. I said before if they were with the Euro club they'd get a team much sooner

9 minutes ago, Levi Oakey said:

I wouldn't say immediately, but I don't see why we couldn't.

Think the snippet about Barry MacLean expecting that for PDL serves as a cautionary tale. If somebody threw enough money at this by outspending MLS so that it would be perceived as clearly major league then it wouldn't be impossible so would agree that it is potentially doable, but the problem is the level of player that can be attracted on a lower budget and people's general perceptions of what is and isn't worth watching in soccer terms.

5 minutes ago, matty said:

I get it being a CFL project but just was wondering if they actually said on the podcast 6 CFL teams will have CPL teams or if being here were just throwing that on?

It was nothing like that clear cut and there was a mention that somebody thought the other person had misheard something.

9 minutes ago, Levi Oakey said:

I wouldn't say immediately, but I don't see why we couldn't.

8000- 10,000 is the minimum needed attendance for a successful canadian premier league team to run without a deficit. 

If this level of attendance is realized the Canadian premier League investors will profit in it`s Launch. its all laid out in the business Plan. 

2 minutes ago, Futballer said:

8000- 10,000 is the minimum needed attendance for a successful canadian premier league team to run without a deficit. 

If this level of attendance is realized the Canadian premier League investors will profit in it`s Launch. its all laid out in the business Plan. 

Haven't you said you're on the outside of this plan?

1 minute ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

That has been confirmed in recent times in a newspaper interview with none other than Tom Fath as break even in an FC Edmonton context on an NASL level budget. The problem obviously is that FC Edmonton are getting about 6,000 less than that in paid attendance terms.

I know I'm just asking if Futballer is actually involved in this plan.

From what's been said it seems there will be backups in place to make the league work without having 6-10k at games.

4 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

Have you heard who is in so far for 2018?

With a great deal of respect to all, the only details that can be confirmed is that there are many parties working on stadium specifics at the moment. some stadiums will have to meet standards close to that of a Lamport stadium. 

So just out of boredom could we possibly deduce what markets are looking for a team based on places that would require a lamport level stadium?

id figure Hamilton, sask, Winnipeg, Calgary to play in existing CFL facilities. 

Does KW have a lamport level facility? Does the Laurier stadium qualify?

another lower mainland stadium? Halifax? GTA suburb?

3 hours ago, matty said:

I get it being a CFL project but just was wondering if they actually said on the podcast 6 CFL teams will have CPL teams or if people here were just throwing that out there?

Also good to see KW is getting the jump 20 year ahead card. I said before if they were with the Euro club they'd get a team much sooner

It's not confirmed, it was just that the KW side has said 6 are a lock, waiting on 2 more (as of a few weeks ago) to make a call prior to announcement. 

They speculated that it was 6 CFL (because they'd been told CFL or primarily CFL groups will hold ownership of the league itself, while not necessarily having teams) locked because KW and Halifax sound up in the air still 

The whole 6 teams as a lock is similar to what was said at the BSB late 2016, so I don't think it's an unreasonable jump that Halifax and KW are the two unconfirmed groups

Of the locked groups, Gopherbashi makes a good point, I don't know if there's enough info to say that there are likely 6 CFL groups right now. I still think Ottawa is in behind the scenes, along with Hamilton/Regina/Calgary/Winnipeg, but the Toronto guy might be the #6

Just now, lazlo_80 said:

So just out of boredom could we possibly deduce what markets are looking for a team based on places that would require a lamport level stadium?

id figure Hamilton, sask, Winnipeg, Calgary to play in existing CFL facilities. 

Does KW have a lamport level facility? Does the Laurier stadium qualify?

another lower mainland stadium? Halifax? GTA suburb?

-KW has University Stadium, a 6000 seat turf stadium, Warrior Field (5000), and GuelphU's stadium (7600) as options. I've also heard that the KW bid for the Canada Games is including a 10k soccer stadium, but I don't know if that is finalized or public

-Halifax has to build it's own

-GTA has a ton of little stadiums, but Lamport-level probably only includes Lamport itself, Varsity, Monarch, or YorkU. The latter two are only 5000 seats and it may be a stretch to call them lamport level

-Lower mainland? Pretty sure it's just Swangard currently. 

-Other markets with a "Swangard level stadium", if we are just talking ballpark capacity, are Quebec City, Montreal, St. John's, London, Moncton, and Saskatoon, though I'm certain many of those would need amenity upgrades to be considered Lamport level. Besides those, there are a ton of ~5000 seat stadiums out there that would be an extra stand away from being at a reasonable capacity 

3 hours ago, matty said:

I know I'm just asking if Futballer is actually involved in this plan.

It is my understanding, the last time he wrote about it, that he was involved in an alternate plan which he seemed to be saying could be implemented should the CanPL fail to start.

Archived