Canadian Premier League

ted

1 hour ago, Futballer said:

Sanctioning is most important at the moment, as it start the ball rolling on the promotional front in each franchised city. 

Let me take out my Futsal Ball (Crystal ball) and say that the announcement will most likely be after the our U 20 men`s team  complete their World cup quest. Many of these Canadian Players and others from other Countries will be scouted  for contracts with  CPL  teams to start their rosters. 

Can we please stop inventing announcement dates based one when the next tournament or big game is being played?

On second thought, I bet they announce it with a commercial during the super bowl!

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Futballer said:

Sanctioning is most important at the moment, as it start the ball rolling on the promotional front in each franchised city. 

Let me take out my Futsal Ball (Crystal ball) and say that the announcement will most likely be after the our U 20 men`s team  complete their World cup quest. Many of these Canadian Players and others from other Countries will be scouted  for contracts with  CPL  teams to start their rosters. 

Is sanctioning highly important? Yes but it's a whisper not a bang which the league would be in need of to gain public interest. Announcing the sanctioning without announcing the league plan could be something that deflates the overall excitement for the league's proper announcement. The two need to come out together.

I am hopeful that you're right on the announcement. It would be a good time to do it and could be boosted by a good showing.

In October someone told me "sometime in the earlier part of next year".  It was an intentionally vague comment but also a bit of a rebuttal to the "next month or December" rumor that was out there.

What I know is that it's being worked on and agreeing to stadium deals, and ownership agreements is a complex process with lots of details.  They're not going to announce until those details are worked out for at least enough teams to launch the league.  Its much more complex than just announcing it.

I think the CPL will reflect what the Welsh league is to the BPL. If is extremely optimistic to think that the CPL will be equal with the MLS even in the next 20 years. I believe the gap between the two leagues will be relatively smaller compared to Wales and England though.

13 minutes ago, baulderdash77 said:

In October someone told me "sometime in the earlier part of next year".  It was an intentionally vague comment but also a bit of a rebuttal to the "next month or December" rumor that was out there.

What I know is that it's being worked on and agreeing to stadium deals, and ownership agreements is a complex process with lots of details.  They're not going to announce until those details are worked out for at least enough teams to launch the league.  Its much more complex than just announcing it.

The last two dates we saw were the articles saying 45 days and 90 days, and that was mid-January.

So, from those latest conjectures, we'd be looking at March or early April.  Assuming those estimates are correct, of course, which they probably won't be.

2 hours ago, canta15 said:

I think the CPL will reflect what the Welsh league is to the BPL. If is extremely optimistic to think that the CPL will be equal with the MLS even in the next 20 years. I believe the gap between the two leagues will be relatively smaller compared to Wales and England though.

I don't think so. The Welsh league is barely professional, it's to the BPL what the PDL/L10 is to MLS. 

As for gaps closing, well that entirely depends on whether MLS HQ continues on its slow, glacial like, vision-less path as it is now. If the league does, the CPL could catch up considering it will have a much easier time gaining traction on Canadian TV than MLS has so far on American TV. However, when the CPL does gain traction in the future, MLS will then perceive the league as a legit threat and make sure to triple or quadruple its own cap, reduce the domestic quota and bite some losses for a bit to solidify itself as number 1.

10 hours ago, Macksam said:

I don't think so. The Welsh league is barely professional, it's to the BPL what the PDL/L10 is to MLS. 

As for gaps closing, well that entirely depends on whether MLS HQ continues on its slow, glacial like, vision-less path as it is now. If the league does, the CPL could catch up considering it will have a much easier time gaining traction on Canadian TV than MLS has so far on American TV. However, when the CPL does gain traction in the future, MLS will then perceive the league as a legit threat and make sure to triple or quadruple its own cap, reduce the domestic quota and bite some losses for a bit to solidify itself as number 1.

I don't think TV as a lot to do with it, but MLS has a 20 year-advantage, that takes time to overcome. Yes, growth has been slow, but surely you must see the traction the league has ATM. Investors are practically killing each other to get in. And as you say, once the Canadian League get's concerning (if ever) MLS can easily shift to another gear. 

19 minutes ago, shamrock said:

I don't think TV as a lot to do with it, but MLS has a 20 year-advantage, that takes time to overcome. Yes, growth has been slow, but surely you must see the traction the league has ATM. Investors are practically killing each other to get in. And as you say, once the Canadian League get's concerning (if ever) MLS can easily shift to another gear. 

Yeah, and I'm sure they will. 

When it comes to TV, that is the avenue I think the CPL has the best shot of getting a revenues bump to compete with MLS.

23 minutes ago, Macksam said:

Yeah, and I'm sure they will. 

When it comes to TV, that is the avenue I think the CPL has the best shot of getting a revenues bump to compete with MLS.

CPL reaching CFL level TV-wise is realistic over time. At that level, CPL will definitely be a major league

3 minutes ago, Ansem said:

CPL reaching CFL level TV-wise is realistic over time. At that level, CPL will definitely be a major league

I think that's a bit of a reach (for now) but i do think it could rival mls' general ratings with the right approach. Even being within 40k of the mls average could really threaten them.

1 hour ago, shamrock said:

T.V. revenue is the be all and end all of pro sports these days. The CFL could draw 65K a game and still not even come close to the revenue of the NFL. 

MLS won't shift into another gear until they get a big T.V. payday but so far they do not have the ratings to justify it. 

Just to clarify, I'm not implying that the CPL is going to be bigger than MLS. I'm just saying that MLS isn't exactly the big league it pretends to be. 

7 minutes ago, Alex D said:

T.V. revenue is the be all and end all of pro sports these days. The CFL could draw 65K a game and still not even come close to the revenue of the NFL. 

MLS won't shift into another gear until they get a big T.V. payday but so far they do not have the ratings to justify it. 

Just to clarify, I'm not implying that the CPL is going to be bigger than MLS. I'm just saying that MLS isn't exactly the big league it pretends to be. 

More to that, Both Toronto FC and Vancouver Whitecaps score higher on US average TV viewerships than most American teams. Understandably, that has a lot to do with the games Fox, ESPN and Univision show (only the biggest match ups). 

http://worldsoccertalk.com/2017/02/01/watched-mls-teams-us-tv-2016-season/

I really think we need a legit TV deal to kick off CPL. 

1 hour ago, Alex D said:

You're right about that. MLS thus far sells a promise: that eventually they''l have the numbers. Obviously there's a market for soccer, considering World Cup, EPL, Mexican league ratings. But they haven't yet been able to turn eyeballs towards MLS. 

Now what I wonder is how you think the Canadian league will be any different? You're competing with soccer on a global level. How do you think Stadions of leagues will look on TV? MLS has a gigantic advantage there IMO.

17 minutes ago, shamrock said:

You're right about that. MLS thus far sells a promise: that eventually they''l have the numbers. Obviously there's a market for soccer, considering World Cup, EPL, Mexican league ratings. But they haven't yet been able to turn eyeballs towards MLS. 

Now what I wonder is how you think the Canadian league will be any different? You're competing with soccer on a global level. How do you think Stadions of leagues will look on TV? MLS has a gigantic advantage there IMO.

CPL must be Canadian for Canadians: CPL must focus on its target audience. Forget about the rest of the world. If they can grow their TV viewership domestically, gate attendance, media coverage and quality on the field, CPL will be a bigger success locally than MLS are locally in the US. CPL should see what the CFL are doing and aim for that instead. Present the product the same way hockey was presented to us when it was on CBC. That's a proven benchmark that indicates that if done right, CPL could be in that ballpark, which challenges MLS domestic TV ratings and TV contract value. Perhaps it means having a double feature CFL-CPL night on TV to hope that some of the viewers will stay on the same channel for the next game. That example worked to some degree when Fox tried the NFL-MLS double feature in which MLS had some of their strongest US ratings. That's up to CPL to figure it out and be creative.

Quality of play: If there's one area teams should invest is in quality/world experience front office staff, manages and scouting both locally and internationally. Soccer being far from an exact science, you can assemble a very strong team if you have the right scouts, managers who can find you quality at a lower price. Then coach them to play great soccer. Sure MLS spend more on DPs and Internationals but finding quality players capable of performing like MLS internationals is totally feasible and make sure that they care about the league. At time, MLS was/is overpaying DPs that are in vacation in their heads and had questionable level of commitment on the pitch. Drogba fooled no one during the eastern final. (Zero F was given there).

This is where one of the biggest difference will be for the foreseeable future. We can't outspend MLS on DP and proven Internationals, but CPL can go younger, cheaper and invest in those young internationals potential instead. Replicate what the other leagues are doing, not MLS. 

Canadian domestics vs American domestics: I think the gap is much more narrow than people realize. We have great quality in Canada but their inability to play consistent minutes at a high level severely slow down/stop their potential growth. Overall, I'd say American domestics in MLS are better but Canadians playing consistent minutes allowing them to learn, make mistakes and grow will narrow that gap faster than people realize.

But their National Team is so much better: Ask Tim Howard what he truly thinks and how this article exposes the true face of American soccer: 

http://www.si.com/planet-futbol/2017/01/18/tim-howard-dual-national-players-usa-pride-usmnt

Howard questioned the national pride in some foreign-born players, saying playing for the U.S. "didn't matter as much to" a select few, unnamed players. The topic has been one of contention, with former U.S. women's star Abby Wambach being among the most vocal of critics of ex-manager Jurgen Klinsmann's choices to call on dual-national players.

Those who disagree can do so all they want but it shows how little faith Klinsmann had in the domestic American pool of player and program, hence his active pursue of foreign-born players with dual citizenship. He was not happy any time a US players left Europe for MLS. That being said, there's an "exaggeration" on the level of play by MLS American players. The Canadian domestics that deserves to start in MLS can't due to politics. CPL will give them that chance and I predict that we're in for a surprise.

Better than the US, not at first but the gap is certainly not as wide as people think it is and it will be narrowed over time.

Archived