Canadian Premier League

ted

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, GuillermoDelQuarto said:

I guess it's probably pointless to point out on an internet forum, but bickering about details does nothing to accomplish the goal we all want.  

Can we at least make an effort to keep the discussion positive (AND realistic) but focused on coming up with creative ways to help actually make it reality.

Sending emails to all theses guys hoping that a few of them raise their hands? LOL

http://www.canadianbusiness.com/lists-and-rankings/richest-people/100-richest-canadians-complete-list/

That's Paul Beirne's job (at least for a swathe of the ownership to put it in Victor Montagliani terms) and it's probably better left to him given what Steven Sandor wrote about the real league being damaged by a pie-in-the-sky variant that was also contacting possible investors. This is a fan's discussion forum in the final analysis. The future of Canadian soccer is not being determined here and some of you are taking it a bit too seriously.

9 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

That's Paul Beirne's job (at least for a swathe of the ownership to put it in Victor Montagliani terms) and it's probably better left to him given what Steven Sandor wrote about the real league being damaged by a pie-in-the-sky variant that was also contacting possible investors. This is a fan's discussion forum in the final analysis. The future of Canadian soccer is not being determined here and some of you are taking it a bit too seriously.

Relax, I was kidding :D

1 hour ago, GuillermoDelQuarto said:

I guess it's probably pointless to point out on an internet forum, but bickering about details does nothing to accomplish the goal we all want.  

Can we at least make an effort to keep the discussion positive (AND realistic) but focused on coming up with creative ways to help actually make it reality.

You're absolutely right.  We're all here for the same reason.

I do try, but being positive and realistic when discussing footie in this country's quite a challenge.

7 hours ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

What are you trying to prove by posting that? I have no idea why Ross County would even have been brought up in this thread in the first place. Soccer in Canada is nothing like soccer in Scotland. In one country it has traditionally been a fringe sport played and watched primarily by recent immigrants, while in the other it is close to being a way of life.

I just kinda brought it up cause I like a story of 'David vs Goliath not as a literal example of what the CPL would look like. Was just using it as an example (I know it is extreme)  that there are many leagues around the world that have different sized clubs competing. Basically what I was getting at was I would like to see a league where there could be some smaller markets drawing 3000-4000 competing with larger markets drawing 10,000 (numbers just an example).

On 1/3/2017 at 8:34 PM, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

A lot of the most vehement support on here for this league project has more to do with visceral level nationalism than anything else and I strongly suspect that there are people posting who would happily see pro soccer collapse into nothing again in Canada just as long as there is no cross-border angle going on. Just to be clear for those who struggle with English language comprehension, if the investors are there to make a proper go of it then I hope it happens, if not then it's time for the CSA to show some real leadership by behaving like rational actors in all of this rather than going into an Anthony Totera style irrational rant about having our own league when they don't have the money to pay for it. 

If we are going to post outlandish things, if that vehement support for the CPL is because people here want to see pro soccer collapse, then I can only conclude your vehement support against it and for the USL is because you only want to see your local team do well in our country and want the rest of the country to become nothing more then its feeder system.

Fundamentally here is the biggest point. Lets say the worst happens. The CPL starts, bombs horribly and is gone after 5 years. How exactly is that going to make things worse then they are now?

The MLS teams will still be around pulling money from the single entity revenue sharing and still trying to make the television cow produce milk for them, their affiliates aren't going to suddenly vanish, their gate revenues are unlikely to suffer so long as they don't gouge fans, and we still won't be making it to the hex and we still won't be taking care of our young players and giving them real wages and a place to play.

The only downside is it might cause investors looking to invest into USL franchises in Canada to think twice before doing so. However, given no one is lining up to buy a USL franchise, that point is pretty damn moot. Even that, if the USL is such shinning, resilient beacon of soccer that you keep saying it is, really won't be a problem.

There is literally no downside to the Canadian Premier League for soccer as a whole in our country. The worst thing that happens is we come back to this point.

The only thing we can really discuss at this point is what can we as supporters do to help the league grow, and in my opinion that goes beyond forming supporters groups. I think supporters group members should go to the community clubs, support rep teams at games, and sell the league in those venues. i.e. supporters in Hamilton should get in touch with Hamilton Sparta, Hamilton United etc. you start supporting grass roots, and you'll see how all those players and parents turn out to games. Go to sport bars, events, community events etc. wherever you can go to sell the league and your team to people.

Right now our ability to do this is only limited by the lack of knowledge about which markets there will be teams in.

IMO, I've been trying to logically view/contribute to this debate. I don't think CPL is ideal, but barring major screw ups it will be what we have to work with, and at least that's better than what we have now. There are a lot of things that can stop this league in it's tracks, and I don't think anyone should dismiss BTBB out of hand, or have any grand illusions of what this league is going to be. But, we need to do whatever we can to make sure it does succeed. 

I think doing what I suggested above is where it starts, it's not just the club that should engage the community, the supporters should as well.

10 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

I understand the reasoning, but they can be made of actual soup can labels if that is what it takes to get the necessary revenue.

While I typically would agree with your reasonable logic, I feel it's flawed on this simply because having more than four sponsors (counting the kit maker) would be as sad as fucking a watermelon.

5 minutes ago, matty said:

While I typically would agree with your reasonable logic, I feel it's flawed on this simply because having more than four sponsors (counting the kit maker) would be as sad as fucking a watermelon.

I am just desperate. I want this to happen so much I am willing to whore out my principles.  Or my body.  Whatever works.

9 hours ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

Strange response to something that started "...has traditionally been..." given there is an implication that times have changed when that phrase is used. I'm confident if there is a team in London, Ont., that where there was 400 to 500 showing up at best in 1990 and 1992 (once the home opener was out of the way and with the exception of a weekend that there was a big Croatian soccer tournament just in case anyone decides to get factual/pedantic on this as well), there could easily be 1500 now, but 5000 to 7000 is a completely different story.  

They're getting close to that mark with the D3 FC London apparently, so I'd be absolutely shocked if they couldn't break 1500 on a regular basis.

5 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

I am just desperate. I want this to happen so much I am willing to whore out my principles.  Or my body.  Whatever works.

I would do anything for CPL but I won't do that......or buy a shirt....because I bought skis, a pass to Snow Valley and then booked a trip so I'm totes broke because I'm bad with money

6 hours ago, Ansem said:

Sending emails to all theses guys hoping that a few of them raise their hands? LOL

http://www.canadianbusiness.com/lists-and-rankings/richest-people/100-richest-canadians-complete-list/

lol that might be a little much.  still, there is somewhere in the middle of doing that and doing nothing.  IMO at least.  Honestly believe people underestimate the effect they can actually have.  but thats me.

6 hours ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

no no for sure.  I don't want to see anyone doing anything to make it look bush league either.  But, as I mentioned above, I do think there are ways to help generate buzz and if you disagree i'm not going to fight you about it.  Even if it seems little, sometimes little things can ripple outward and create bigger things.  But maybe this is just me being pie-in-the-sky - I'm willing to accept thats a possibility.  and like I said, not willing to fight about it.

1 hour ago, zen said:

The only thing we can really discuss at this point is what can we as supporters do to help the league grow, and in my opinion that goes beyond forming supporters groups. I think supporters group members should go to the community clubs, support rep teams at games, and sell the league in those venues. i.e. supporters in Hamilton should get in touch with Hamilton Sparta, Hamilton United etc. you start supporting grass roots, and you'll see how all those players and parents turn out to games. Go to sport bars, events, community events etc. wherever you can go to sell the league and your team to people.

Right now our ability to do this is only limited by the lack of knowledge about which markets there will be teams in.

IMO, I've been trying to logically view/contribute to this debate. I don't think CPL is ideal, but barring major screw ups it will be what we have to work with, and at least that's better than what we have now. There are a lot of things that can stop this league in it's tracks, and I don't think anyone should dismiss BTBB out of hand, or have any grand illusions of what this league is going to be. But, we need to do whatever we can to make sure it does succeed. 

I think doing what I suggested above is where it starts, it's not just the club that should engage the community, the supporters should as well.

you're making a little too much sense, careful :P

for those of you in markets that will never see a team, look no further than this post.

14 hours ago, -Hammer- said:

....There is literally no downside to the Canadian Premier League for soccer as a whole in our country. The worst thing that happens is we come back to this point.

Says someone who has probably never been through having the team in their city in a Canadian coast-to-coast league that they watched consistently in every home game fail spectacularly and fold twice in the space of three years. What effect do you think that sort of thing has if someone comes along later and tries to do the job properly? The well gets poisoned basically, so that a lot of fans and sponsors will steer well clear the next time around. Toje reminded us recently on another subforum of a good example of a long forgotten NPSL franchise in Toronto that had a strong roster in what at the time was still a reasonably strong league that was just ignored as people had been burned too many time previously:

2 minutes ago, Marc said:

I think that's exactly what he's trying to do Macksam, utilize evidence to prove his point.

Yes but BBTB is also ignoring the fact that historic failures haven't stopped people in the city from embracing TFC. He's also ignoring that when things are done right, soccer can work, like having a deep pocket owner like Joey Saputo for Montreal. We get his points but he won't even try to see the other side of the fence

Archived