Canadian Premier League

ted

19 minutes ago, matty said:

Gonna sin here and agree with bbtb here. I think in the early years (at least first 5 years or even decade) most teams will be taking in 3500-5000 average per game. I do think some will do better but most will be under 5000 for a while. Could be wrong but i do think this will be the case.

Personally think 1500 to 2000 in smaller markets based on a regional largely bus travel format is realistically where things are at (A or AA rather than AAA in baseball terms) given what else is already in place and isn't likely to suddenly disappear. Thinking bigger than that especially if it is with naive investors from a non-soccer background that are expecting to hit break even quickly is a recipe for disaster that would poison the well in multiple markets in the short to medium term.

12 minutes ago, matty said:

Usl isn't a real draw especially reserve style teams

Let's see what happens in Ottawa this summer.

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

Personally think 1500 to 2000 in smaller markets based on a regional largely bus travel format is realistically where things are at (AA rather than AAA in baseball terms) given what else is already in place and isn't likely to suddenly disappear. Thinking bigger than that especially if it is with naive investors from a non-soccer background that are expecting to hit break even quickly is a recipe for disaster that would poison the well in multiple markets in the short to medium term.

Let's see what happens in Ottawa this summer.

I think if the budgets are what we've heard they'll do better than fce at it's peak and yes we will but so far they haven't been in both canada and the us

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2017/01/09/fifa-winning-campaign-48-team-world-cup/

FIFA set to approve 48-team World Cup worth more money but worse soccer

• expand the 2026 World Cup to 48 nations, playing in 16 groups of three teams
  • The prize of 16 extra places, and the biggest increases to Africa and Asia
  • The research document predicted the equivalent of $6.5 billion revenue from a 48-team tournament in the ”16×3” format, which would send two teams from each group to a new Round of 32 knockout bracket
  • All 80 matches would play in an exclusive time slot. Currently, 64 World Cup matches have 56 broadcast slots because the eight four-team groups play their last matches simultaneously
  • FIFA predicts organizing costs for ”16×3” rising from $2 billion to $2.3 billion, giving a potential profit rise of $640 million
  • Though a ”16×3” World Cup would still need a maximum of 12 stadiums, the demand for 16 more top-quality training camps and hotels suggests FIFA would look for 2026 hosts with existing capacity
  • A North American bid from two or three of the United States, Canada and Mexico is currently favored in a contest that could start within weeks
  • Africa and Asia could be the big winners, and FIFA hopes new teams would include another Iceland, Wales and Costa Rica – over-achieving teams and feel-good stories at recent tournaments

1. Maximum of 12 stadiums means that Canada could host on it's own realistically. It's safe to assume that by revamping existing training facilities (asking universities to contribute their fields as well) and we have the hotels already, it's feasible
  2. All 80 matches would play in an exclusive time slot... Spouses that aren't soccer fan will feel single the entire time :D

5 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

Would this be the Voyageurs thread with the most posts ever?  Just curious.  I think we left the "importance" thread in the dust long ago, but I can't recall the other contenders.

I wonder when this thread will die? Will it die with the launch ot do we keep it alive for jokes?

11 minutes ago, Ansem said:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2017/01/09/fifa-winning-campaign-48-team-world-cup/

FIFA set to approve 48-team World Cup worth more money but worse soccer

• expand the 2026 World Cup to 48 nations, playing in 16 groups of three teams
  • The prize of 16 extra places, and the biggest increases to Africa and Asia
  • The research document predicted the equivalent of $6.5 billion revenue from a 48-team tournament in the ”16×3” format, which would send two teams from each group to a new Round of 32 knockout bracket
  • All 80 matches would play in an exclusive time slot. Currently, 64 World Cup matches have 56 broadcast slots because the eight four-team groups play their last matches simultaneously
  • FIFA predicts organizing costs for ”16×3” rising from $2 billion to $2.3 billion, giving a potential profit rise of $640 million
  • Though a ”16×3” World Cup would still need a maximum of 12 stadiums, the demand for 16 more top-quality training camps and hotels suggests FIFA would look for 2026 hosts with existing capacity
  • A North American bid from two or three of the United States, Canada and Mexico is currently favored in a contest that could start within weeks
  • Africa and Asia could be the big winners, and FIFA hopes new teams would include another Iceland, Wales and Costa Rica – over-achieving teams and feel-good stories at recent tournaments

Canada will now be a world cup team semi regularly. Yay

Just now, matty said:

Canada will now be a world cup team semi regularly. Yay

I really hope that we get in during 2022, if only because the accomplishment will be cheapened if we only make it because the crowd went up to 48 teams.

Also because we'll all murder ourselves if we still can't make it in a 48-team World Cup.

1 minute ago, Gopherbashi said:

I really hope that we get in during 2022, if only because the accomplishment will be cheapened if we only make it because the crowd went up to 48 teams.

Also because we'll all murder ourselves if we still can't make it in a 48-team World Cup.

Same on 2022

Yes it will

Maybe not murder but renounce our canadian citizenship

with the bulk of the new 16 spots going to Asia and Africa, I could see 6 spots for CONCACAF... last time I checked, we haven't made it to the Hex since 1986...

Sorry but we're still not good enough even with an expanded World Cup... :unsure:

But sure, some people here thinks that more of the USSF Trinity (MLS-NASL-USL) will produce a miracle and get us through...after 30 years without any results! :P

-USSF Trinity (MLS-NASL-USL) Can I trademark this one :D

5 minutes ago, Ansem said:

with the bulk of the new 16 spots going to Asia and Africa, I could see 6 spots for CONCACAF... last time I checked, we haven't made it to the Hex since 1986...

Sorry but we're still not good enough even with an expanded World Cup... :unsure:

But sure, some people here thinks that more of the USSF Trinity (MLS-NASL-USL) will produce a miracle and get us through...after 30 years without any results! :P

-USSF Trinity (MLS-NASL-USL) Can I trademark this one :D

Didn't someone say concacaf would get 7.5? Seemed fishy but if true could see canada getting one often.

I'm curious who would get what big games if the 3 shared. Like US gets the final, Mexico opener and a semi and Canada gets third place and a semi or whatever. I dunno

This world cup stuff has only a marginal relevance to this thread? In a co-host scenario with the United States I seriously doubt there would be any new stadia being built in smaller cities or upgrades to existing ones, because Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver (maybe Edmonton at a push but the running track would be an issue) would probably get everything.

3 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

This world cup stuff has only a marginal relevance to this thread? In a co-host scenario with the United States I seriously doubt there would be any new stadia being built in smaller cities or upgrades to existing ones, because Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver (maybe Edmonton at a push but the running track would be an issue) would probably get everything.

There would be upgrades for sure. lol

Also the Maximum of 12 stadium is a total surprise. I was expecting like 16. Let's wait and see if the US will try to bid on their own or ask Canada for a co-bid.

8 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

I'm Sure 4 or 5 cities at least would he involved. So Edmonton and Winnipeg maybe since fifa seems to (for the most part) dislike multiple cities in the same state or province being used.

6 minutes ago, Ansem said:

Yea

4 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

The United States could easily go it alone even with 48 teams involved. A co-host doesn't have to be a 50:50 thing. The 2015 Gold Cup had 14 venues with only one in Canada. But not sure what this has to do with a "CPL" at this stage unless there is a standalone bid and a frenzy of stadium building and upgrading involved? 

I agree they could but if they but it's been sounding like a more traditional split hosting thing than piggy backing one.

Cpl should care because this no matter what would help it

13 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

The United States could easily go it alone even with 48 teams involved. A co-host doesn't have to be a 50:50 thing. The 2015 Gold Cup had 14 venues with only one in Canada. But not sure what this has to do with a "CPL" at this stage unless there is a standalone bid and a frenzy of stadium building and upgrading involved? 

The world cup and CPL being linked is undeniable, so it's relevant to this thread. Also, even if we end up co bidding and no new stadiums would be required, that's still 6 years where soccer is the main talk in this country. That kind of buzz is exactly what CPL will need to thrive and be in the mainstream media. That also attracts investments, sponsors and potential owners ( the deep pocket kind and potentially, international owners).

By "buzz'', CPL will get "international attention"

1 hour ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

and there are tweets from what people on here say is a credible source claiming that the Whitecaps are thinking about moving their USL affiliate to the sixth under local ownership.

• You sure it's not about this?

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskatoon/vancouver-whitecaps-fc-saskatchewan-soccer-association-1.3924575

Sask. soccer association, Vancouver Whitecaps offer path to the big league

The Vancouver Whitecaps FC and the Saskatchewan Soccer Association have agreed to a formal pathway to help young players transition from initial dreams on the pitch to playing in the big leagues.

"Canada is a vast country, but through this partnership we are able to bring our common goals together to strengthen player development and hopefully, by design, see more young talents emerge from Saskatchewan," said Whitecaps FC president Bob Lenarduzzi in a press release.

The Whitecaps and the association will work together to fine tune the current high-performance opportunities that exist for soccer players in this province. Top prospects from the program will then move up the pyramid and into the professional environment in Vancouver through residency programs.

The progression would, for some, end as a player in the Major League Soccer.

If making it to the pros still seems like an impossibility for young players, the Whitecaps are quick to remind everyone that Saskatoon's Brett Levis is on the top team's roster, and that Saskatoon goalkeeper Thomas Hasal is on the Vancouver club's under-18 team.  

• Regarding Whitecaps USL affiliates

http://www.uslsoccer.com/news_article/show/742742?referrer_id=2333971

Seems like they are staying put to me

4 hours ago, Levi Oakey said:

Ha, All the things you mention are things that Waterloo Region excels at.

LRT? Ours will be done this year, funded by the city itself who went ahead of the province to make it happen. We'll also have a new multimillion dollar transit hub in 2020. LRT, inner-city and extra city buses, GO trains and VIA rail all in one spot.

Millennials? Our average age in Waterloo Region is like 35. In pure count we have just 1000 less even though we have a smaller population than Hamilton.

Tonight we have a meetup of soccer fans in the grand river valley to try start planning for the arrival of our CPL team. Going to be fun. 

Brampton and Mississauga's LRT project went by the wayside unfortunately :(

It would have been awesome uniting both cities and placing a stadium for the GTA's CPL team somewhere on the line.

21 minutes ago, Ansem said:
  • You sure it's not about this?

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskatoon/vancouver-whitecaps-fc-saskatchewan-soccer-association-1.3924575

Sask. soccer association, Vancouver Whitecaps offer path to the big league

The Vancouver Whitecaps FC and the Saskatchewan Soccer Association have agreed to a formal pathway to help young players transition from initial dreams on the pitch to playing in the big leagues.

"Canada is a vast country, but through this partnership we are able to bring our common goals together to strengthen player development and hopefully, by design, see more young talents emerge from Saskatchewan," said Whitecaps FC president Bob Lenarduzzi in a press release.

The Whitecaps and the association will work together to fine tune the current high-performance opportunities that exist for soccer players in this province. Top prospects from the program will then move up the pyramid and into the professional environment in Vancouver through residency programs.

The progression would, for some, end as a player in the Major League Soccer.

If making it to the pros still seems like an impossibility for young players, the Whitecaps are quick to remind everyone that Saskatoon's Brett Levis is on the top team's roster, and that Saskatoon goalkeeper Thomas Hasal is on the Vancouver club's under-18 team.  

• Regarding Whitecaps USL affiliates

http://www.uslsoccer.com/news_article/show/742742?referrer_id=2333971

Seems like they are staying put to me

I believe BBTB is referring to the Aaron Cambell tweet, but that only said VWC is considering selling their USL side. Somewhere along the way the idea that it was to a Calgary group got into the mix, but from what I can tell that has no actual source behind it 

1 minute ago, Complete Homer said:

I believe BBTB is referring to the Aaron Cambell tweet, but that only said VWC is considering selling their USL side. Somewhere along the way the idea that it was to a Calgary group got into the mix, but from what I can tell that has no actual source behind it 

I see, thanks!

3 hours ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

Ok, but that doesn't answer the question. I don't see how suggesting a scenario under which a Canadian league could happen based on the known facts is making a case against it.

Facts? :lol:

2 hours ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

Meanwhile 5 of the 6 markets with over 1 million people have MLS, NASL or USL teams and there are tweets from what people on here say is a credible source claiming that the Whitecaps are thinking about moving their USL affiliate to the sixth under local ownership. Wrap yourself in the flag as much as you like, but that doesn't look like a scenario that is ripe for the sort of league you crave.

Yes, the potential Calgary CPL ownership will be scared off by this USL Pro team rumor....

1 hour ago, Ansem said:

Also the Maximum of 12 stadium is a total surprise. I was expecting like 16. Let's wait and see if the US will try to bid on their own or ask Canada for a co-bid.

I hope we go at it alone. There's no reason for a joint bid. Outside of the United States, Germany and probably France, Canada is the next best market to guarantee sell outs for every game and ensure the World Cup is profitable.

26 minutes ago, Complete Homer said:

It's a rumour that he believes puts a dent in the CPL and scores points for the USL...facts be damned, it has to be true. Even if there was a stadium being built for a CPL team, and the groundbreaking occurred, BBTB would try to convince us it's a ruse and actually going to be something ridiculous like a women's prison 

Archived