Alphonso Davies

Northvansteve

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He is ready for MLS and has already taken the super sub role and rendered a high first round draft pick trade bait (Manneh). That is a huge accomplishment for a 16 year old.

On the good side he combines the back-checking, wiry ball stealing of Gersh and the attacking of Manneh. That puts him ahead of anyone else 16 years old I can think of in our pool (Caps or MNT).

More minutes? Sure. Alternate starts & subs? Sure. But everyone needs to remember he is a work in progress. 90 minutes every week? No. Maybe next season depending on his learning curve to fix his problems.

If there was one thing I'd have him do is when he sees 3 people in front of him do a quick back pass to a teammate and sprint up field for the return chip. There is no way 3 defenders will be as fast and quick as he is. One sure but that leaves him 1v1 rather that 1v3.

By the time he's 18 I think he'll be our "Raheem Sterling"  :)

18 hours ago, harrycoyster said:

Man, haven't you heard? "Thou shalt not criticize Davies" is the lone commandment of this forum (even though he now has 0 goals, 0 assists and 0 chances created in 648 MLS minutes, leads the team in times dispossessed per 90, is positionally naive, stops attempting to play defense past the 60th minute in starts, and is a one-trick pony with the ball at his feet).

But hey, it's all Robinson's fault. It's not that Davies is a 16 year old kid who needs to improve some parts of his game to be a regular MLS starter.  :rolleyes:

Once he grows into MLS and starts producing, he'll be the first name in the 11 every week. Until then he is best utilized as a 60th minute sub who starts against slower fullbacks.

I agree with all of this, but must also admit that when he DOES come on, he often makes things happen. The stats tell one story, but not the full story.  But I am with you on all the rest.

His performances for the Whitecaps have not been stellar, by any means. I think he is more interesting in the long term than Manneh, but actually Manneh did more for us, in his frustrating sort of way. Davies has yet to do anything for WC definitive at any time in any game. A player like that, at that age, deserves those minutes. The ones he gets.

In any case, you do have to pace him, you do have to get him to focus, and remind him of how hard it is going to be. The most irresponsible thing Robinson could do would be, for example, put him on late in the Voyageur Cup final to try to protect a result, and then stupidly lose it because you did not have experience on the pitch. So if Robbo has seen the light and realizes he screwed up with that one, better for me.

I like how everyone who is not a WC fan thinks we should play him, more, always, start him, because, I guess, you'd prefer we not think about results but do a charity service for Canada or something. 

2 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

His performances for the Whitecaps have not been stellar, by any means. I think he is more interesting in the long term than Manneh, but actually Manneh did more for us, in his frustrating sort of way. Davies has yet to do anything for WC definitive at any time in any game. A player like that, at that age, deserves those minutes. The ones he gets.

In any case, you do have to pace him, you do have to get him to focus, and remind him of how hard it is going to be. The most irresponsible thing Robinson could do would be, for example, put him on late in the Voyageur Cup final to try to protect a result, and then stupidly lose it because you did not have experience on the pitch. So if Robbo has seen the light and realizes he screwed up with that one, better for me.

I like how everyone who is not a WC fan thinks we should play him, more, always, start him, because, I guess, you'd prefer we not think about results but do a charity service for Canada or something. 

Un companero en el barco que se hunde. Mas vale tarde que nunca. ;) 

6 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Funny thing is, the second he scores an actual MLS goal, I feel like your point will be moot. 

I actually trust Robbo with the development of Davies. If anything he might be giving the kid too much of a chance. I think you would agree with me. 

• 4 weeks later...
30 minutes ago, Shakmur said:

Davies was subbed in and made the difference last night for Vancouver. Created the tying goal by beatting Chad Marshall to an overhead ball, a nice move in the box and a direct pass to Montero for the goal. 

Best game he's had in a Whitecaps jersey in months. 

I was at this game. There is a tremendous buzz throughout the stadium when he enters - a sense of potential excitement, a sense that something special can happen any time he's on the field. Part of it is the fact that he is still a 16-year-old novelty. But part of it is also the sense that he can take a game over on a moments' notice like he did last night when he muscled off the Seattle defender, calmly turned in the 18, and laid beautiful, pinpoint pass back to our striker for the tying goal. Strength, speed, finesse, power, vision - all in a 5 second moment.  

Also, apparently Davies is pretty excited to play as himself in FIFA 18.

http://www.sportingnews.com/ca/soccer/news/alphonso-davies-fifa-18-canada-vancouver-whitecaps/1himche1hgm651rv68agok8vww

And now that Davies is nearing the end of his first full season as a professional, he'll soon be able to play as himself when the newest edition of FIFA is released worldwide at the end of September.

"It'll be great," he said. "Playing as myself at FIFA, that's what I've been dreaming about when I was little so it's gonna be amazing."

On 7/13/2017 at 9:12 AM, BuzzAndSting said:

This is simple, brilliant and with a really recognizable tune. We need to do this in September!

YES

Edit: Woops, referencing this: 

Hey I just met you, and this is crazy

But im in love with, Alphonso Davies

And all the goals he scores, fucking amaze me

Cause im in love with, Alphonso Davies

2 hours ago, shermanator said:

Also, apparently Davies is pretty excited to play as himself in FIFA 18.

http://www.sportingnews.com/ca/soccer/news/alphonso-davies-fifa-18-canada-vancouver-whitecaps/1himche1hgm651rv68agok8vww

I wonder if EA (considering they make the game in Vancouver) will add his game face this year too. They're already doing it for a lot of MLS players in this year's version. 

(I'm slightly annoyed that Mancosu is the only game face on the Impact. How does he get it over Piatti, Bernier, Ciman or Dzemaili!?)

Archived