Alphonso Davies

Northvansteve

Am in Mexico on vacation and watching fox sports, Espn and Sky sports in Spanish.  Gold cup coverage is like TSN covering world junior hockey ; very in-depth and all teams being featured 

With my limited Spanish I can deduce a huge appreciation for Davies and an "why can't we have talent like him" narrative, Love to see it and as a long time Canada supporter very nice to hear 

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, shermanator said:

ESPN just called Alphonso Davies the most exciting player in the tournament, in naming him to their best 11. Choo choo the hype train rolls up motherfuckers.

http://www.espnfc.com/concacaf-gold-cup/59/blog/post/3159409/canadian-teenage-sensation-alphonso-davies-leads-gold-cup-best-xi

Good series by the way, if you can stomach the Atomic Blonde adverts well worth the watch

On 7/17/2017 at 11:29 PM, Markoaleks said:

Am in Mexico on vacation and watching fox sports, Espn and Sky sports in Spanish.  Gold cup coverage is like TSN covering world junior hockey ; very in-depth and all teams being featured 

With my limited Spanish I can deduce a huge appreciation for Davies and an "why can't we have talent like him" narrative, Love to see it and as a long time Canada supporter very nice to hear 

100% confirmed, been watching the games on Unionvision.  Overall,  Mexicans tend to enjoy and appreciate the "offensive flare" style of play, we are beginning to pick up some attention and respect :).  I believe for the 2nd half of our game when the fans start rolling in they will be cheering for us over Jamaica. They will want and appreciate to see something from Davies, and we also have latin heritage on our squad (and the coach), compared to Jamaica with 0.  

This can only help us in the 2nd half in Arizona with the majority of the crowd behind us.   Wish today was Thursday haha

Amazing news! Very well deserved win by Alphonso Davies :) 

He's gotta be the youngest player ever to win the Golden Boot in a major tournament. Nevertheless not a surprise that he took the Bright Future Award ?

Steve Reed better make the trip to Vancouver to give him the 2 individual honours personally ??

History was made today! So proud to have this guy in Canadian colours ??

Just now, shermanator said:

So Davies can win the Golden Boot in the region's major tournament, but he still isn't trusted to start a game in MLS? Hmmmm.....

Trust me, if he was half as good with the Caps as he played in the group stage he'd be our best player. For whatever reason it hasn't clicked for him yet in MLS. I don't think Robbo is blame free in that department. 

8 hours ago, dsqpr said:

Jamaica double and triple teamed him and owned him physically. He is only 16 playing against those big strong Jamaicans. I thought his team mates didn't do enough to help him. If he is being double and triple teamed then somebody must be open! Not enough movement from us, as usual.

To be fair, his vision (especially when double-teamed) is something that he really needs to improve.

Named in the team of the tournament too. Alongside 3 Americans who only arrived for the knockouts.. what a joke like really? 

Anyways, he does need to improve his decision making and vision. I don't think Vancouver is the place to develop.. on that pitch it isn't even real football 

10 hours ago, dsqpr said:

2017 Gold Cup Young Player award winner.

2017 Gold Cup Golden Boot winner (3 goals plus more assists than the other two players with 3 goals).

Congratulations Alphonso!!

I know Luke Wileman said he got it for having more assists than Morris and Parsemain, but I believe that's incorrect. He definitely didn't assist on Jakovic's goal (set piece taken by Arfield) and he didn't assist Arfield's goal (Hoilett to Arfield, then blocked by a defender which rebounded back to Arfield), and he didn't assist Hoilett's goal (I think it was Piette that passed it to Hoilett in our own half).

I reviewed the goals and that's what I saw. Unless they award secondary assists and he made some inconsequential pass to Piette before the Hoilett goal, or to Hoilett before the Arfield goal (and they also don't care about the defender involvement) he didn't have any assists. I believe he won the Golden Boot because he played fewer minutes than Morris and Parsemain. I confirmed that he did in fact have fewer minutes than Parsemain, and I assume Morris would have had more minutes played since he was with the USA through the whole tournament. Someone commenting on mlssoccer.com said that fewest minutes played is the second tie-breaker.

All that being said, huge accomplishment for Davies. Does anybody know if a 16 year old has won the Golden Boot at a continental championship before?

10 hours ago, shermanator said:

So Davies can win the Golden Boot in the region's major tournament, but he still isn't trusted to start a game in MLS? Hmmmm.....

Caps gonna cap....cap the development of young players that is.

36 minutes ago, Keegan said:

Named in the team of the tournament too. Alongside 3 Americans who only arrived for the knockouts.. what a joke like really? 

Anyways, he does need to improve his decision making and vision. I don't think Vancouver is the place to develop.. on that pitch it isn't even real football 

Are you surprised, look who runs the tournament!

I don't have a problem with any of the 3 US players that came on in the knockout round making it...they clearly made a huge difference in the 3 games played....they were the most important games in the tournament and they rose to the occasion....I had a bigger issue w/Zusi making it...thought he was terrible except the 2nd half of the Jamaica game

1 hour ago, mrstepp817 said:

I don't have a problem with any of the 3 US players that came on in the knockout round making it...they clearly made a huge difference in the 3 games played....they were the most important games in the tournament and they rose to the occasion....I had a bigger issue w/Zusi making it...thought he was terrible except the 2nd half of the Jamaica game

He isn't a good rightback, but he was pretty pivotal in the Costa Rica game as well. I don't get how he makes it over Villafana though.  

1 hour ago, mrstepp817 said:

CONCACAF seems to have a different opinion about Zusi

Archived