Cristián Gutiérrez

Vince193

6 hours ago, Corazon said:

ZBG has 1 goal and 2 assists in 3 MLS seasons.  With 1 goal and 1 assist coming in the first 3 games of this season.  Yes, he has shown some attacking flair in a couple games this season but he has been far from an attacking threat as an outside back in his first couple of seasons with Montreal.  Perhaps under a the new coach, we see more in attack going forward.

As for depth chart, excluding Davies:

Laryea is by far our best outside back.  I would probably put Adekugbe second but only slightly ahead of Gutierrez, ZBG & Johnston in which I all see similar levels.

I think you need to actually watch him play

2 minutes ago, Dominic94 said:

I think you need to actually watch him play

I do watch regularly.  He's been fantastic going forward this year but has lacked the end product in previous seasons.  1 assist in 2 seasons doesn't scream attacking flair as an outside back.

3 minutes ago, Corazon said:

I do watch regularly.  He's been fantastic going forward this year but has lacked the end product in previous seasons.  1 assist in 2 seasons doesn't scream attacking flair as an outside back.

I would blame it more on Montreal, his final product does need work yes, but he certainly has the instincts and brings it forward a ton.

11 minutes ago, Dominic94 said:

I would blame it more on Montreal, his final product does need work yes, but he certainly has the instincts and brings it forward a ton.

That is my impression as well - though I admit I haven’t seen a ton of impact games over the last 2 years.  But when I did watch, he looked generally effective and creative, and plays often broke down as a result of mistakes by others.   Not saying he has been stellar but I am usually pretty happy with his game.   

On 4/25/2021 at 5:04 PM, Ivan said:

He has definitely had an impressive start to the season, but I don't think think he starts ahead of Adekugbe yet.  Nice to have some added depth though!

You might fall in love with him if he kills it for canada, potential wise he has more than Adekugbe. Adekugbe is just proven 

6 hours ago, Watchmen said:

His coverage is lacking.  Hasn't been closing down his man quickly enough, and a lot of crosses come in from this side.  It's what happened tonight against Minnesota, which lead to the goal.  Cornelius not covering his man was the other half of the problem.

Yeah, not sure what Cornelius was doing whenever the ball came in from the wings.  It was like he was zone marking (and not well) but was the only one doing so.  A few times he moved into a space rather than sticking tight to his man.  

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Apologies if this was posted elsewhere (I haven't had the time to go through all of the threads):

https://www.whitecapsfc.com/news/cristian-gutierrez-officially-added-to-canada-s-gold-cup-roster

This was the point of interest for me:

"Gutiérrez will remain training and playing MLS matches with Whitecaps FC unless called upon for Canada."

The headline makes it sounds like he'd be joining the team, but he's basically on standby. How do we feel about that? I very much rate Gutierrez, so part of me wants him to be with the group, gaining familiarity and obviously making his debut.

I guess there is value in him staying in Vancouver if he's not going to play much though.

4 hours ago, Obinna said:

Apologies if this was posted elsewhere (I haven't had the time to go through all of the threads):

https://www.whitecapsfc.com/news/cristian-gutierrez-officially-added-to-canada-s-gold-cup-roster

This was the point of interest for me:

"Gutiérrez will remain training and playing MLS matches with Whitecaps FC unless called upon for Canada."

The headline makes it sounds like he'd be joining the team, but he's basically on standby. How do we feel about that? I very much rate Gutierrez, so part of me wants him to be with the group, gaining familiarity and obviously making his debut.

I guess there is value in him staying in Vancouver if he's not going to play much though.

This smells a lot like CANMNT thinking "maybe we can save ourselves a few bucks here, one hotel room less, one less flight and at least a few big macs and croissants."

3 hours ago, costarg said:

This smells a lot like CANMNT thinking "maybe we can save ourselves a few bucks here, one hotel room less, one less flight and at least a few big macs and croissants."

This feels more like the Whitecaps have no other left back options and requested they not take him until it was an extreme emergency. 

9 hours ago, Watchmen said:

This feels more like the Whitecaps have no other left back options and requested they not take him until it was an extreme emergency. 

No offence, but Whitecaps are 2-7-3, you really think their biggest issue is losing a LB for a couple of weeks?  Although I do admit its a busy part of the season, they aren't the only ones impacted by GC.  CFM have Bassong playing CB. 

It isn't a stretch to have a RB or CB fill in for a while, we've seen it loads of times.  Asking CANMNT to risk their tournament and not let a player practice a new system with new teammates and possibly show up to a game on a moments notice?

I'm pretty confident CANMNT is at least 51% responsible for this decision.  I'd also bet money Guti wanted to be with CANMNT.