Cristián Gutiérrez

Vince193

8 minutes ago, costarg said:

It isn't a stretch to have a RB or CB fill in for a while, we've seen it loads of times.

The Whitecaps are down to basically one right back (Brown is playing but Gaspar is out injured and Nerwinski is hurt and being used sparingly) and 3 center backs since Cornelius has been loaned out. So while the proposal of using a CB or RB to fill in for a time seems reasonable at first, it's really not in this case.

Edited by Watchmen

11 minutes ago, costarg said:

No offence, but Whitecaps are 2-7-3, you really think their biggest issue is losing a LB for a couple of weeks?  Although I do admit its a busy part of the season, they aren't the only ones impacted by GC.  CFM have Bassong playing CB. 

It isn't a stretch to have a RB or CB fill in for a while, we've seen it loads of times.  Asking CANMNT to risk their tournament and not let a player practice a new system with new teammates and possibly show up to a game on a moments notice?

I'm pretty confident CANMNT is at least 51% responsible for this decision.  I'd also bet money Guti wanted to be with CANMNT. 

With Ali Adnan gone, Nerwinski just coming back from injury, Gaspar out with an injury, their only fullbacks are Guti and Brown. Losing Guti means they have 0 LBs as Nerwinski has no experience on the left and Godoy only ever played RB when not at CB.

im sure @GlassCitycan comment on this more.

Edited by N1ckbr0wn

We do need a LB in the side. If it was any other position we could let it slide but not having a natural LB option leaves us tactically handcuffed.

Personally, I would start Gutierrez in a lineup similar to what we played vs. Bermuda with Pasher in front of him and Buchanan at RWB. Cavallini and Larin start up top and you have a midfield 3 of Eustaquio, Piette and Osorio. 

1 minute ago, Watchmen said:

The Whitecaps are down to basically one right back (Brown is playing but Gaspar is out injured and Nerwinski is hurt and being used sparingly) and 3 center backs since Cornelius has been loaned out. So while the proposal of using a CB or RB to fill in for a time seems reasonable at first, it's really not in this case.

Ahh i see, I didn't realize Gaspar was also out.  Thanks, but this raises the question.... who the hell is managing all this??? They ship Adi & Cornelius while they know there's a strong chance Guti gets called by CANMNT imminently, and they have all these injuries?  Questions need to be asked about the organization....... 

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Aird25 said:

I thought Guti was excellent last night, and Baldisimo was quite strong as well

Best game as a pro. Guti was terrific. Rock solid defensively and stopped every attempted dribble past him. On the attack, he was fantastic with precision passes. And then his dead ball delivery - best I have seen from a Canadian player in a long time. His confidence is growing every game. 

1 hour ago, Northvansteve said:

Best game as a pro. Guti was terrific. Rock solid defensively and stopped every attempted dribble past him. On the attack, he was fantastic with precision passes. And then his dead ball delivery - best I have seen from a Canadian player in a long time. His confidence is growing every game. 

I have to agree. This was one of the best games I’ve seen the whitecaps play in a long time. I wish Caicedo would make better decisions though… seems like he ignored Guti’s overlapping runs every time and tried to force something himself. I think it was last game against Huston Guti hit a direct free kick off the top corner of the near post that was almost inch perfect… then a few minutes later from basically the same position he whipped in a super dangerous cross toward the far post that just needed a touch but like 3 whitecaps players missed it by inches.

11 minutes ago, VinceA said:

He has to be on a plane tomorrow to the GC camp. Especially now that Canada has lost a defender.

Not sure he will be. Henry will be a straight swap for vitoria and sturing is on the bench. Would be a great experience though, especially if he got a few minutes against Mexico.

He has trained with the team before hasn't he? If not and based on today and Herdman not giving Paton any minutes, I doubt he would be thrown in not being in and around the squad, its tactics etc. Probably better to keep him playing for Vancouver this week.

9 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Is that so eh? Never knew that's how it worked. I thought the one-time switches were final, no?

It's only us (I think) that refer to it as a 'one-time' switch. FIFA calls it a 'change of association':

Reference: FIFA in January 2021, Article 9, Paragraph 5:

"5. A player that was: a) granted a change of association; and b) was not fielded in a match in any (official or unofficial) competition in any kind of football by the new association, may request a change of association back to his former association provided he continues to hold the nationality of such association."

https://digitalhub.fifa.com/m/ccab990abf45fcf6/original/ro8mje8vw98yp3rvfbmi-pdf.pdf

Just now, maplebanana said:

It's only us (I think) that refer to it as a 'one-time' switch. FIFA calls it a 'change of association':

Reference: FIFA in January 2021, Article 9, Paragraph 5:

"5. A player that was: a) granted a change of association; and b) was not fielded in a match in any (official or unofficial) competition in any kind of football by the new association, may request a change of association back to his former association provided he continues to hold the nationality of such association."

https://digitalhub.fifa.com/m/ccab990abf45fcf6/original/ro8mje8vw98yp3rvfbmi-pdf.pdf

Well in that case we need to get him cap tied. By rights he should be in this Gold Cup squad as far as I am concerned. Maybe he comes in for the September window, but with Adekugbe also playing well I don't see us carrying both of them. We can probably get by with nether of them to be honest, with Laryea and Tajon showing they can play well on the left.

That said though, I want to make sure we tie down Cristian. Just way too talented not to be part of this group.