WCQ - El Salvador vs. Canada, 17th Nov. 2015 GAME Thread

canadianfoot

Should have gone 4-4-2 and pump balls into Haber and Larin. 

Floro wanted to play ground passing game. On that shit surface? Direct was better. 

We play this ES team on turf and we win, because that bumpy pitch, nobody could string a pass together.

• Replies 354
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know some will say that is a good point, and in isolation, I might agree. But looking at what we need to get out of the group, other than at home to ES, where do our points come from? 7 points (assuming a win at home against ES) probably leaves us 4 short with games away to Honduras and Mexico, and Mexico at home. We will have to win one of those and that is extremely unlikely.  

10 points should be enough this time. Honduras isnt getting 10 pts. Neither is el salvador 

heck 9 points may be enough

You have an 18 yr old CB trotted out by your opponent and you decide to play your 20 yr old finesse striker for the entire 90 minutes when you have a 26 yr old 6'3" sledgehammer waiting to rag doll the kid. So disappointed.

Agree, have not been real impressed with Larin in either match, Haber should have been given a go for a bit!

When we're inevitably hiring our next coach, I really hope the words "lone striker" make for an instant pass on the candidate.

Every time we play a lone striker, and every time they can't get the ball for more than a second. Maybe if the opposing backline had more than one player to huddle up around we could have decent shots that aren't bound for the goddamn moon.

Rickets - why oh why does he still see the field let alone 90 min.  He's never good.  Ever.

Larin- sure he's you but the guy is atrocious at hold up play and has no close control.  I want him to succeed but I just don't get the hype.   I'm still shocked he scored as much as he did in MLS.

Floro- boy it'd be nice if we had one attack minded MF who could play a ball to the feet if our attackers moving forward....   nvm "Edgar your up.  We need 5 Def on against this team.."

You have an 18 yr old CB trotted out by your opponent and you decide to play your 20 yr old finesse striker for the entire 90 minutes when you have a 26 yr old 6'3" sledgehammer waiting to rag doll the kid. So disappointed.

playing the 'correct' system is more important the result, mkay? /sarcasm

Rickets - why oh why does he still see the field let alone 90 min.  He's never good.  Ever.

Larin- sure he's you but the guy is atrocious at hold up play and has no close control.  I want him to succeed but I just don't get the hype.   I'm still shocked he scored as much as he did in MLS.

Floro- boy it'd be nice if we had one attack minded MF who could play a ball to the feet if our attackers moving forward....   nvm "Edgar your up.  We need 5 Def on against this team.."

The attacking play from midfield actually got better when Edgar came on... because Hutchinson got to move up and do his thing.

10 points should be enough this time. Honduras isnt getting 10 pts. Neither is el salvador 

You may be right, but where do those other 3 points come from? If we can't win against this team of amateurs away from home I can't see us beating Honduras or Mexico. We might end up needing to beat Mexico at home, which is not likely. If Mexico runs the table we may squeak in with 9 points.

Overall though you have to be disappointed. It certainly looked like we didn't have the belief to win that and that we came for a point.

heck 9 points may be enough

But how do we get 9 points? win at home against ES gives us 7 pts. Mexico tie at home gives us 8. Honduras needs to sweep ES and beat us in SPS. There's their 9 pts. We need ES to hold Honduras to a draw and an already qualified Mexico to win at Azteca (or a draw and it comes down to GD). 

But how do we get 9 points? win at home against ES gives us 7 pts. Mexico tie at home gives us 8. Honduras needs to sweep ES and beat us in SPS. There's their 9 pts. We need ES to hold Honduras to a draw and an already qualified Mexico to win at Azteca (or a draw and it comes down to GD). 

lots of options can play out. Honduras sweeping el salvador and winning at azteca is far from a sure thing. 

Honduras is not winning at Azteca. It is conceivable that ES and Honduras take a game each against each other. We need a point at home against Mexico and beat ES at home. A result is not out of the realm of possibility in San Pedro Sula. 8 (possibly 7) should be enough as long as neither ES or Honduras take 6 from each other.

Archived