WCQ - El Salvador vs. Canada, 17th Nov. 2015 GAME Thread

canadianfoot

Yes we wasted 2 extra points. Yes Ricketts should not start.Yes Larin is not ready to be our saviour. BUT I saw the Mex-Hon. game and I think a win @ home vs Mex. is very possibleThey probably will play the counter game like they did yesterday and if we could put away a couple of chances early(Cavallini), our defensive play should hold out.Ater that all we need is a win vs ES @ home. Away game in Hon. we can cap tie 14 players.

• Replies 354
  • Created
  • Last Reply

8 points and we probably go through.

we have 3 games to get ONE point. and then win our last game vs el salv

I think it may be time to look at other striking options. Larin hasn't been the difference maker and has missed the few changes he has gotten.

Cavillini should see some action. Occean may be worth a debate about a call up again.

A draw away on an awful pitch is a decent result, so I will take the single point. If I had been offered 4 points after the first two games I'd have taken it, even though after game 1 we looked a strong bet to get 6. If we get a result in Honduras (I know, but we couldn't shit the bed that badly again right?!) then we sit on 5 points, Honduras are on 1. Breaking it down, with 3 games still to be decided in the group and Honduras need to gain 5 points on us due to us holding the head to head record over them. That can be got in two wins over ES for them but if we beat ES at home, which I believe we would on a good pitch, they need to beat Mexico at the Azteca to finish ahead of us and that's if we don't take any points off Mexico. We are still in a good spot!! Don't give me reason to lose my optimism Canada. Or at least do it kinder than 8 fucking 1

Can't wait for the Mexico double header in March!!

Yeah Honduras definitely put their foot in the crack by losing at home to Mexico....

This idea that Honduras is some unassailable world soccer power who are just going to romp through El Salvador twice and then us (and then get a point at Azteca according to some!) is frankly ludicrous.  

Clearly you misread my post. I said we left a crack in the door by not winning yesterday and they have a chance to make us pay for it NEXT ROUND(Obviously losing to mexico helped us so I couldn't be talking about Honduras' result yesterday. Get a grip) I also never said they would "romp" through El Salvador twice but it is very possible they win both and we lose both to Mexico. Anyone who thinks otherwise is delusional. I also never stated honduras will get a point in mexico(as some stated). There is no reason to think we will grab any points in Honduras either. Once again, as a I stated, I hope this doesn't happen but it very well may. 

This post is going to be super optimistic but man I am Canadian and a fan for life, so ride or die for the red and white.

Many on this board said we would get 0-1-2 points this round, "just a reality we don't have the talent". 

Now we have 4 points (could have had 6, but easily could be at 3 or even 2 can't do anything about it now), so eff the haters.

Did not everyone watch the Honduras game? 

Mexico was unable and no where close to be able to boss the midfield like our 3 mids did at home vs Honduras (sure away game). Why did Mexico win in Honduras? The few chances they had in the 2nd half, they buried them, (except 1 miss). Honduras also missed a few quality chances to score, so not like Mexico is not beatable at the back.  

Here is the real question: Is our back line and our goalie weaker then Honduras at the back, specifically, these last 2 games?  In my opinion, we are more solid structurally and overall more talented then Honduras on our back line and goalie position.

At home, we can boss the midfield vs Mexico, just like Honduras controlled Mexico at home in the 1st half, simple fact. Sure there is an argument, but if our triangle is in form and playing well, we win the holding midfield battle, even piette should only continue to get better. Holding the midefield, can dictate a game and we play at home before we play away, so bonus, should have fresher legs for the old guard. We stay solid at the back, are able to bury our few chances, we beat Mexico at home! Draw at worse, it is possible, eff the haters!

Mexico is much stronger compared too last cycle but they proved last cycle Azteca is not the impossible mission like it once was. Let's see if Floro and the players, can pull a miracle and tie Mexico on the road, doubt it, but stranger things in Concacaf are possible. People seem to forget that just this last summer, Guatemala parked the bus vs Mexico and got a 0-0 result in the gold cup when Mexico was trying to win, in a very pro sell-out Mexican crowd.  Yes, I know new manager, etc.etc. etc. but still it shows it is possible.

Country rivalry is HUGE, as bad as this sounds, if either El Salvador or Honduras can't finishing in the top 2.  I could legitimately see them conceding a game to us, simply to screw there rival/enemy over.  Believe it or not it does happen in footy. Yes, it is unfair, but it is actually not even that far of a stretch.  They know if they can't make it, they would want there rivals not to make it either.

Anyways, I will fight to the end, I believe we will finally show the rest Canada that we can compete by getting a result vs Mexico at home in March.

That's my rant, can't do sh*t about it now, except gear up for Mexico, the end.

It's true this is the best position we've been in for a semi-final round in ages. However, each qualification is different.  Given Canada has scored a single goal against the two weakest squads we're likely to face this round, I ask myself which is more likely:

Beating a 2nd string El Salvador at home OR tying full strength Honduras in San Pedro Sula? 

Because the latter is what we've set ourselves up for.

the goal for the next international break and our 2 games against mexico should be to salvage a single point.

a single point against mexico would go a long way to qualification.

worry about the final 2 games after our march games

would it be worthwhile to play the game in Edmonton or Fort Mac and just grind out a draw?

Rickets can't start anymore. No touch...I;ve seen better feet on a snake. Larin is good, but makes the wrong decision a lot (One time's it when he should take a touch and hold it up). I thought tesho would be more dangerous with fresh legs, but doesn;t seem to have moves that will trouble defenders. Atiba looked dangerous in the last 20 when he freed himself up to go forward.

Rickets can't start anymore. No touch...I;ve seen better feet on a snake. Larin is good, but makes the wrong decision a lot (One time's it when he should take a touch and hold it up). I thought tesho would be more dangerous with fresh legs, but doesn;t seem to have moves that will trouble defenders. Atiba looked dangerous in the last 20 when he freed himself up to go forward.

THIS

I strongly feel if Atiba was playing more advanced all game we would have had a goal.

8 points and we probably go through.

we have 3 games to get ONE point. and then win our last game vs el salv

I think it may be time to look at other striking options. Larin hasn't been the difference maker and has missed the few changes he has gotten.

Cavillini should see some action. Occean may be worth a debate about a call up again.

I completely agree on the 8 points thing. I think the big boogie man Honduras of the past isn't the team we're seeing this year. Before this pair of games I thought it was a foregone conclusion Honduras would sweep El Salvador, now I'm not so sure. Also, El Salvador doesn't have the PTSD when it comes to Honduras like we do, they just see them as another central american team that's ranked 3-4 spots ahead of them.

Mexico did us a giant favor by breaking 20 years of results and winning in Honduras. Literally of all the ways things could've gone down this is basically the 2nd best way. 6 points, would've been fantastic...but 4 points with Honduras on 0...if you had told me that before these games I would've been ecstatic. It's funny how quickly expectations change.

Who is out next match due to yellow accumulation? The key is not to get spanked by Mexico in Mexico to a point of bringing down our confidence for the home match in Vancouver

We play the first leg of the Home and Home versus Mexico in Vancouver, I think.  But yeah we don't want to get spanked in Mexico to the point where goal difference might be an issue.

In that case, I wouldn't mind seeing those three pick up another yellow that game...let's be professional out there.

Do the card accumulations reset after serving a 1 game suspension? ie. it would take another 2 yellows to have to sit out a game?

If so this should be strongly considered. Professional yellow card to sit out Mex away leg ensuring none of these players miss crucial Honduras and el Salvador games.

Do the card accumulations reset after serving a 1 game suspension? ie. it would take another 2 yellows to have to sit out a game?

If so this should be strongly considered. Professional yellow card to sit out Mex away leg ensuring none of these players miss crucial Honduras and el Salvador games.

Yes, and/or rest 1 or more of them during Mex away leg, so no risk of yellow.  We need them away at Honduras.

I think starting lineup is perfect besides rickets for Akindele. I want to see that. I'd like to see Osorio too. Please don't bring up occean. Larin is our best forward, he's proven that at Club level, its not easy to score in the once in a while national game. 

I know Larin is young and experienced but I would never start Haber over him if he's healthy.

And where would you have put Russ? Out right over Rickets maybe but not in the middle, Julian, Hutch and Willen all played well.

Teibert didn't make the trip south and was unavailable.

After watching those highlights, we had 4 very good chances:  JH early on, Larin off the bar, Tesho, and Larin in 2nd half stoppage time.  WJ also had a half chance.  All in all, that ain't bad.  Our players just didn't finish.  Can't blame Floro for that.

When I re-saw the JH chance, I cried ... he really should have scored on that.  I think people forgot about it because it happened early in the match, but it was a better chance than the Larin miss at the end.

After watching those highlights, we had 4 very good chances:  JH early on, Larin off the bar, Tesho, and Larin in 2nd half stoppage time.  WJ also had a half chance.  All in all, that ain't bad.  Our players just didn't finish.  Can't blame Floro for that.

When I re-saw the JH chance, I cried ... he really should have scored on that.  I think people forgot about it because it happened early in the match, but it was a better chance than the Larin miss at the end.

Either that or drawn the foul...

Archived