WCQ - El Salvador vs. Canada, 17th Nov. 2015 GAME Thread

canadianfoot

Not the end of the world that some may think.  Yes I believe we should have gone for the 3 points and easily could have beat El Salvador's B team, but a point in central america is ok.  When was the last time we won in central america again?  With our history down there a win is never a sure thing.  Best case senario, the draw both games coming out with 3 and 2 points.  If we can get a point of Mexico at home, that puts us at 5.  We beat ES at home and we are looking good, barring any shocking upsets against mexico.  I don't see either ES or honduras coming out with 6 points against each other.  4 points maybe which will make it more interesting going into our last two games.  But anything can happen.  Let's not get too down on the boys (except Ricketts, who I agree should never see the pitch), and hope for the best

• Replies 354
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not too pleased with the draw, though the fact that Honduras lost at home to Mexico is huge. In previous WCQ campaigns, that would have been three points for Honduras. Honduras won't beat Mexico away, so this puts even more pressure on them to get max points against El Salvador.

At this point, any result we can get against Mexico is a bonus. Our home qualifiers against Mexico tend to end in draws, which I wouldn't mind too much at this point. I hope that the strike with El Salvador's first-squad players ends in time for their matches against Honduras. haha

But how do we get 9 points? win at home against ES gives us 7 pts. Mexico tie at home gives us 8. Honduras needs to sweep ES and beat us in SPS. There's their 9 pts. We need ES to hold Honduras to a draw and an already qualified Mexico to win at Azteca (or a draw and it comes down to GD). 

And we never win GD situations ... because we simply don't score enough.

I don't know what to tell you guys. In the conditions you faced us, you really should have won, you will never get it easier than it was today. It must be a Psychological thing playing in Central America. You guys looked dead tired by the end. Can't imagine if it were daytime and stadium was packed and we had all our guys. I'll take the point. I loved the effort we showed. See you next year. Good luck vs Mexico. 

Here are game highlight link I saw on Facebook https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_TNjq-xtw9g

Good evening. 

well...we didn't lose...as a long time supporter, we haven't been able to say that very often.

Junior is a big help but we need one more legitimate player up front to have any real hope.

Agreed. One more guys of JH calibre and we'd be legitimately dangerous ... Ricketts (God bless him, I love his heart) could play for a 100 hours and never score against a reasonable opponent.

You need the horses to be flexible and tactical. Floro has here and there but not a stable of 11, let alone 22. So, the system has to supercede other factors.

6 points was there but 4 points is what is expected typically in WCQ and we achieved it. Plus, Honduras has zero which means they will need to beat ES twice and then Canada. It means the Honduras game will decide who makes it to the HEX. I think Floro's system will get us a tie.

I don't know what to tell you guys. In the conditions you faced us, you really should have won, you will never get it easier than it was today. It must be a Psychological thing playing in Central America. You guys looked dead tired by the end. Can't imagine if it were daytime and stadium was packed and we had all our guys. I'll take the point. I loved the effort we showed. See you next year. Good luck vs Mexico. 

Here are game highlight link I saw on Facebook https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_TNjq-xtw9g

Good evening. 

Please God, just inflict some damage on Honduras!!!

Well....that was ugly. I saw zero brilliance from anyone in red kit. I think it is hard to play the sport with a blue guy draped on your back, while running after a ball that is bouncing 6 feet into the air on the cratered pitch. So many times we passed or dribbled the ball into touch, we'll have to be much better going forward if we want to make the hex.

The defenders were  OK, the midfield was poor and not much to report from up front. Akindele (sp?) was very poor in relief, Piette was very good as a sub.

It was there for the taking and we didn't deliver, and it may come back to haunt us.

You know in rhe past I would be cynical abou Canada's chances but 4 points ain'y bad, as long ad we don't drop anything at home.  I seriously doubt Mexico will let off the accelator if they're undefeated by match 4, as thye'll want to be undefeated going in to the Hex for fist pumping.  I always said the battle for 2nd was between us and Honduras.  We beat them at home and got the monkey off our back and now its time to fully vex the demons anf beat or tie them at San Pedro Sula.  By the match hopefully Cavallini anf Larin will be in mid-season MLS form to pressure Honduras.  If we can eliminate Honduras, then getting thr 4th berth in thr Hex, isn't a pipe dream anymore.

You need the horses to be flexible and tactical. Floro has here and there but not a stable of 11, let alone 22. So, the system has to supercede other factors.

6 points was there but 4 points is what is expected typically in WCQ and we achieved it. Plus, Honduras has zero which means they will need to beat ES twice and then Canada. It means the Honduras game will decide who makes it to the HEX. I think Floro's system will get us a tie.

Floro is anything but flexible. He only knows how to make us not lose. He doesn't play to win.

We will look back at this game like 0-0 at home vs Honduras last time.

Massive failure. 

It's always possible that we will regret not taking maximum points, but at this stage to call getting a point on the road while moving four points up on what should be our main competition for a qualifying spot a "massive failure" seems ridiculous. I can't remember the last time we were in such a strong position after the first two games in the semi-final round - probably would have been 1996, the last time we qualified for the Hex.

Not happy but not as pessimistic as some on here

Still see no reason why we can't take a point from Mexico at home and not sure why people think Honduras will just walk into El Salvador and get three points after watching how they've looked the first two matches.

If we can't beat an El Salvador B team in a half empty stadium in the evening, how the hell are we going to get any points in Mexico or Honduras. Especially in the middle of the day with packed stadiums in stifling heat?

How can anyone think it's rationally possible?

are we expecting to get a result against Mexico at home? Chicarito running at Karl Ouimette? Really? They will pound us.

I see us maybe beating El Salvador at home, that's it. We blew it.

I blame myself for getting my hopes up after one home win, when we're still awful on the road.

Archived