WCQ - El Salvador vs. Canada, 17th Nov. 2015 GAME Thread

canadianfoot

Not happy but not as pessimistic as some on here

Still see no reason why we can't take a point from Mexico at home and not sure why people think Honduras will just walk into El Salvador and get three points after watching how they've looked the first two matches.

A home draw against Mexico is "possible". But if Honduras sweeps ES that draw means nothing (unless we get a result in Honduras).

Honduras squad will be much stronger in the next set of matches so a sweep of ES is possible

• Replies 354
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't know what to tell you guys. In the conditions you faced us, you really should have won, you will never get it easier than it was today. It must be a Psychological thing playing in Central America. You guys looked dead tired by the end. Can't imagine if it were daytime and stadium was packed and we had all our guys. I'll take the point. I loved the effort we showed. See you next year. Good luck vs Mexico. 

Here are game highlight link I saw on Facebook https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_TNjq-xtw9g

Good evening.

We have to give credit where it's due and I do think the ES players made a great effort to deny ours space and time. The play was very disjointed for the 2nd half and a lot of the first so we never got into any kind of a rhythm. The state of the pitch helped ES in that regard as well. I think we could have done better with wide play and crosses into the box but I didn't see our wings getting much joy...credit to the ES defenders. We always play down to weaker opposition for some reason. Hutch was great as always. I don't know what position Hoillet was playing in the end... I'd prefer to keep him on the wing. I really like Piette. Ricketts is what he is, no use getting upset about it. Akindele and Larin have yet to impress, although Larin did get his chances again. I wouldn't mind seeing a couple more long-range shots per game. Defensively, I certainly can't complain.

So will El Salvador's

People are making it like Mexico is this unstoppable force for some reason - go look at their results when the travel north of their country in WCQ over the past 30 years.  

We may get schooled by them in Mexico, but it would honestly be a disappointment if we didn't get at least a point here.

So will El Salvador's

People are making it like Mexico is this unstoppable force for some reason - go look at their results when the travel north of their country in WCQ over the past 30 years.  

We may get schooled by them in Mexico, but it would honestly be a disappointment if we didn't get at least a point here.

Getting a draw here against Mexico and a win over ES gives us 8 pts and we rely on external results. I agree, getting a point is more than possible and likely probable, but we may need a win at home against Mexico.

I am now thinking we should play in Edmonton in March. Historical temp. on March 25th is 5C high and -5C low. That's comparable to when we played in '97 (2-2 draw in -2C temp.) and in Toronto in 2000 (0-0 draw in 0C temp. - i was at this game). OK, so after more research Ottawa is almost identical in temp. on March 25th historically as Edmonton (High 5C Low -4C) so Ottawa is on the table too. Vancouver is High 10C and Low 4C which is just not low enough to give an advantage, we need near freezing temp. to affect the Mexicans.

This is what i wanted to avoid.

I see Honduras getting 4pts the next round. If we can squeak out 1 pt we are in good shape as i think we beat El Salvador.

After round 2

Mexico 10

Canada 5

Honduras 4

El Salvador 2

If we beat El Salvador and Mexico wins at home we are through.

We likely won't get a resuly in mexico and i  don't think any of us want to head to san pedro sula needing anything.

It's still reasonable that we could get through with only 7 points.

If we lose to Honduras, Mexico X2 and beat ES at home = 7 points

Assuming Mexico were to win out (at home to Honduras and at ES), that would mean that:

1.  as long as Honduras doesn't get a sweep of ES (6 points), the most they could finish with is 7 points. One win against ES, one draw against ES and a win against Canada. From here it would go to goal differential. If they get one loss to ES than they couldn't get more than 6 points.

2. as long as ES doesn't sweep Honduras they can't finish with more than 5 points (one win versus Honduras, one draw versus Honduras and one draw versus Canada).

The next round of matches in march between ES and Honduras will be huge. We need to hope for 1) two draws 2) at least one draw 3) ES sweeping...we could be in good position with any of those scenarios

With Mexico winning in Honduras, it's not too hard to see a situation where they either run the table with victories or only drop points with a draw in Canada. Which means a 2nd place team could advance with fewer points than normal. And El Salvador isn't going to just roll over for Honduras, there's a bit of a history between those two countries to say the least......

Let me know if I am totally off base here, as I haven't watched much of Larin in the MLS.  His record speaks for itself, and I really want to love him, however, I am shocked that with the amount of goals he puts in (in MLS) he has not appeared very aggressive these last two games for Canada.  Especially tonight.  He seemed to do just enough to keep up with his opponent but not enough to really challenge for the ball once the defenders had possession and were heading back up the field.  Is this usually his style of play?  

I am not saying Cavallini will be our savior up front (if he is even with the team for the Mexico games) but he could definitely bring in some competitive pressure which just might lift Larin's international game to another level.

Frustrated that Hoilett was subbed as he never seems to back down or or stop hunting for the ball (even when gassed). 

Glad we got a point, but after riding the high of the last 3, it sure would have been nice to be looking down on H and ES with 6 not 4 after just two games.  4 is still a great start though!  Good job guys!!

6 inches lower on the Larin header and we're talking about a 1-0 win with Hoilett and Larin getting heaps of praise. A game of inches.

3 months ago, after Gold Cup, I was predicting a qualifying campaign of 1 win. I'll take the 4 points. Still think we're in tough to make the Hex but not the worst first 2 games.

We will look back at this game like 0-0 at home vs Honduras last time.

Massive failure. 

let's be honest, the tragedy last cycle was the softer group and the draw at home, this is a tight group and if we do rue this draw, it'll be an away draw and a much harder group. That's something.

Also, the plan from the beginning was draw on the road, perform at home, that's been the plan since Floro took over and it's what happened, defensively we were much more composed than the match against Belize

Honduras could easily win their next 3 matches ... and get 1 point off a disinterested Mexican team.

You actually think Mexico would not want to win in front of the Azteca? If they don't their fans will be furious.

Just finished watching. 

Plus:

Junior is legit, brings something different to the team.

Defence played well again with another shut out.

Hutch is a beast.

de Guz has enough in the tank for this round and probably the Hex.

Sam played well in relief.

Negative:

No urgency for the win, complacency near the end.

Ricketts non existent for long stretches.

Larin seems to give up at times.

Will should be pushing forward more.

Marcel looked suspect defensively at times.

Those are my take always at first blush.

On 11/17/2015 at 11:13 PM, Soccerpro said:

If we can't beat an El Salvador B team in a half empty stadium in the evening, how the hell are we going to get any points in Mexico or Honduras. Especially in the middle of the day with packed stadiums in stifling heat?

How can anyone think it's rationally possible?

are we expecting to get a result against Mexico at home? Chicarito running at Karl Ouimette? Really? They will pound us.

I see us maybe beating El Salvador at home, that's it. We blew it.

I blame myself for getting my hopes up after one home win, when we're still awful on the road.

What gets me most is how indoctrined this belief is that getting a positive result on the road in Central America is so f*cking hard "but the pitch is a little bumpy so our lethal offense won't be able to get it together" "oh but there was once pee" "oh but there are armed guards" "lol their pupusas are sketchy" are very disappointing excuses that permeate our media, our coaching staff, and ultimately our players to the point that it's all we hear and talk about leading up to an away game. Big surprise that our team isn't playing for the win. 

Leave that first world privilege at home and suck it up. Get the f*cking job done when you damn well should. That's the attitude we need.

Mostly agreed with mserson.

Few other thoughts:

- Larin isn't *quite* ready for the big time and I'd be interested to see how Occean did there
- Hoilett was gassed, should've come off earlier.  Put Akindele in a few of those 1v1s and who knows what happens
- the midfield 3 (but especially Hutch) did brilliantly to create space in tight areas
- who said we should go direct? With our players visibly tiring, having them chase lost causes was never going to help - trying to play a possession game was the right idea IMO (and I usually criticize Floro)

4 points is a good start if you look at it objectively. 

That beings said, this draw could come back to haunt us badly. The reality is (and we all know it) although we have 4 points and sit second, with back to back Mexico games, not winning tonight ramps up the pressure on us. Instead of sitting reasonably safe, we have made it just a bit harder on ourselves in the last four games. Even with 6 points, we still would have needed to engineer a tight campaign with good results and advancing was not even then a guarantee. 

Our position is not bad but not great overall one has to say. 

For me, most of the players put in a decent 60 or 70 minutes. We are far from a 90 minute team. 

Its the way we played that makes this tougher to swallow. Our attack was bloody embarrassing in the second half.

The person that needs to be ripped a new A##hole is Floro. For me, this missed opportunity falls on his shoulders. He basically packed it in at half time and played for the draw since then. His first two subs were ok given the card situation but they came too late. His third sub was just at a completely inappropriate time altogether. The team was gassed by the 60th min. The man needs to start playing for the win in games like this plain and simple. Draws do not always guarantee advancing. I cannot support his strategy at all. He can claim victory by getting a point away, but that argument is completely undone by the fact that we just as easily could have lost this game tonight had it not been for Borjan. 

Long term, Floro's insistence upon this strategy will cost us. If the team doesnt have the lead by the 60 minute or so, they seem to get more disinterested, undisciplined and casual as the game goes on, just like in the Gold Cup. 

Floro needs to stop being such a pu##y and realize that we have this whole "playing not to lose" part of the game down. In the teams overall development, now we need to start focusing on the other half of football that takes the team to the next level, getting serious about advancing. That is done by playing to win especially when we have these such games. 

For me, its simple, we start playing balanced football or we will not advance. Defending is fine, but we need to get serious about ordering the offence. It is not enough to criticize a couple of players anymore (even if they deserve it on an individual level).

The whole teams attacking is dreadful. What it lacks is urgency, energy and conviction. Self belief must come first though, and Floro's overly conservative, one dimensional strategy is holding the team back. We are still way too satisfied with moral victories. 

The CSA had better get the team a January or February camp with a friendly or two. Preparation for Mexico is absolutely critical. If we go in to that series cold, we could be in huge trouble. 

I don't understand this "positive result" talk. Why can every other team occasionally get a win away in Central America? I mean, the U.S does it all the time. 

This was the most ideal situation we'll ever be presented with to get an away win in Central America, but we didn't even seize it. Why? What's so impossible about beating a B team in cooler evening weather in a half filled stadium? What makes things so impossible for us? I just don't get it.

Canada needs some Honduras/El Salvador draws badly next round or for them to split the series. I understand why Floro wasn't more aggressive in this games so early in qualification but as so many others have said it was probably go for it here or have it all come down to a re-run of last qualification.

Floro should also have been thinking about rotation with Akidele, Haber and Teibert starting. There were always going to be a lot of dead legs out there.

Can I just add we need to do more on our set pieces.  This is supposed to be our advantage over shorter teams and would've represented one of the rare chances to nick a goal if we could only put in some threatening dead balls.

Practice more in training, switch it up with some out-swinging kicks, anything.  Needs to improve sharpish.

I don't understand this "positive result" talk. Why can every other team occasionally get a win away in Central America? I mean, the U.S does it all the time. 

This was the most ideal situation we'll ever be presented with to get an away win in Central America, but we didn't even seize it. Why? What's so impossible about beating a B team in cooler evening weather in a half filled stadium? What makes things so impossible for us? I just don't get it.

Seriously!?! Mexico did it, they won in Honduras just today?!?

Archived