WCQ - El Salvador vs. Canada, 17th Nov. 2015 GAME Thread

canadianfoot

• Replies 354
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Should have gone 4-4-2 and pump balls into Haber and Larin. 

Floro wanted to play ground passing game. On that shit surface? Direct was better. 

We play this ES team on turf and we win, because that bumpy pitch, nobody could string a pass together.

Floro does not deviate from his formation with 1 man up top.  I am not sure why he is so inflexible about this.

Jason

well...we didn't lose...as a long time supporter, we haven't been able to say that very often.

Junior is a big help but we need one more legitimate player up front to have any real hope.

Agreed.

The other flank is black hole with Rickets.

I'm not all that enamored with Akindele but I can't imagine he would be less effective starting

i think the shit pitch played a role

But really, this is no different than it's always been in this part of the world so we should just expect it.  And so should the players -  just like all of the other crap that they shouldn't have to deal with there.  It's not going to change anytime soon.  It's not right but it's just what it is.

Jason

Well we had our chances.  I don't agree with taking Hoilett off, clearly Ricketts was offering next to nothing.

A point isn't bad combined with Honduras losing at home to Mexico.  If we can get a draw or even win against Mexico we are laughing and I think it's possible.  If Mexico tries to open up and attack us with Hoilett on our side now I think we'll score.

Larin wasn't bad... I thought he had a good performance compared to Friday.  He won his share of balls up top, more than I ever saw from other Canadian strikers in Central America over the last two cycles.

Well we had our chances.  I don't agree with taking Hoilett off, clearly Ricketts was offering next to nothing.

A point isn't bad combined with Honduras losing at home to Mexico.  If we can get a draw or even win against Mexico we are laughing and I think it's possible.  If Mexico tries to open up and attack us with Hoilett on our side now I think we'll score.

Larin wasn't bad... I thought he had a good performance compared to Friday.  He won his share of balls up top, more than I ever saw from other Canadian strikers in Central America over the last two cycles.

Hoilett could barely run after 60 minutes.

Petrasso on the right, let's hope he gets some minutes and has a big winter, heck even Akindele on the right.

Our midfield bossed and ran their hearts out Friday night. Chilled on Saturday.  Travelled 3000km likely travel time 12-14 hours, hotel to hotel. Shake out Monday, game day Tuesday.  Reality is they were gased, our main midfield is not 25 anymore and it showed, it sucks but it is a reality, simply going to take longer for them to recover.  Add to the fact turf zap the legs compared to grass, is what it is. El Salvador also didn't play some squad vs Mexico almost conceeding defeat.

In reality, I could see El Salvador possibly being who we battle for.  If the FA and players get their shit together, no way you can't say El salvador wins at home and ties in Honduras.  Giving them 5 points.  Then Mexico at home for them and away to Canada.  Anything is possible, fucken sucks we didn't win but need to move forward and find a way now.

Floro does not deviate from his formation with 1 man up top.  I am not sure why he is so inflexible about this.

Seems to be a lot of that going around, club (Caps) and country wise. The 4-5-1 is solid defensively so I can understand it but we need opportunistic goals to get more than single point results.

Jason

CanMNT is the international version of the Vancouver Whitecaps. A manager that refuses to alter his rigid one forward system, even though it doesn't create enough chances. Junior Hoilett = Kekuta Manneh.

Ricketts wasn't very good all match but Hoilett was clearly gassed, he hasn't played 90 minutes in ages and this was probably his first ever match in the heat and humidity of Central America on a shit pitch!  

Historically, if you win at home and draw on the road you should advance.  So all is not lost.  But losing this game likely means we will need a result of some sort in Honduras.  I liked the idea of that game being irrelevant as we would have already locked up a spot.

I am a bit concerned that the Larin crossbar will be remembered the same way as when we hit the post in Toronto vs Honduras.  One play that would've changed everything.

Jason

Honduras is not winning at Azteca. It is conceivable that ES and Honduras take a game each against each other. We need a point at home against Mexico and beat ES at home. A result is not out of the realm of possibility in San Pedro Sula. 8 (possibly 7) should be enough as long as neither ES or Honduras take 6 from each other.

Honduras do not need to win at Azteca, they only need a draw there IF they don't WIN in ES.

You have to assume they'll have Lozano, Najar and Espinoza back next year so wins at home against us and ES are not out of the question and it's going to be a nail biter if we don't beat Mexico at home.

Archived