But wait, there's more...

lazlo_80

Will never be Cristante or Ferreira unfortunately.. we can dream. If we were to make the World Cup I could see them giving it more of a glancing thought, but while they have potentially better offers they won't even bat an eyelid imo. 

After that Arfield would be the best possible option and a bit of coup really, underrated player. I hope he can be swayed seeing Hoilett commit and seeing a ounce of momentum turn in the right way for us.

Of course hoping Cavallini accepts his rumored call up and Aird is also included. Would make for a positive camp. 

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Agree - you guys bashing the Junior and any other additional of the likes of Vitoria are delusional.

Consensus is that Junior has a strong chance of improving our squad. We are historically weak on the wing and up front, goal scoring especially.

I don't think Vitoria starts at CB.

One thought on this is pity we  couldn't  manage to secure the new blood for a deep run and all of the reforming of the squad and (presumably) the tactics during the Gold Cup. Hard for me see the Ghana meetup and a couple days at UBC in November being enough time to pull any substantially new squad together in time. Remember that  a  monster talent like Larin still hasn't found any chemistry with the MNT  despite having plenty of time with the core group and a beautiful run of club football. 

Agree - you guys bashing the Junior and any other additional of the likes of Vitoria are delusional.

Delusional.  I find that harsh.  Maybe I think people praising Junior as a savior when everyone on the QPR boards think he is a joke...maybe those people are delusional.  But I wouldn't call them delusional.  It would be a little too insulting for my taste.

Seriously? Vitoria? Would he even make the 23 man roster? 19 appearances for Philly. Somebody please fill me in, I recall he started the year on the bench. 

Vitoria is a prime example of our eurosnobbery-infused inferiority complex.  He is exceptionally average as an MLS starter on one of the worst teams in the league.  Before he got injured, Philadelphia was a shambles of a team with him marshalling the defence and only started playing better during his injury.  He has done nothing exceptional this year (despite his price tag), however because he played in Europe there will be a certain section of this fanbase that will call for his inclusion at all costs.  He is not a starter with our best team.  He is a possible inclusion in the 23 man roster, but I'd prefer to keep those spots for players that are proud of being Canadian.

To each their own, but I stand with the "better is better" view.

Agreed SV would not start in our best 11 but he would play a critical depth role. He's MLS starting CB caliber with good feet and footy IQ.

There is know way we will go anywhere with a Ledgerwood or Ricketts starting (with all due respect to these loyal players).

Floro's approach to these players is refreshing, he isn't chasing anyone, nor isn't closing the door. 

A 23 man roster with with option of  Arid (highly likely), Airfield (unlikely), Vitoria (likely), Lucas Cav (likely), Ferreira (see you at 25!),  Leutwiler (more likely than not), Lefevre (highly likely), Camara (2016), Koffie (less likely than)..yes, now we have some depth. 

Seriously? Vitoria? Would he even make the 23 man roster? 19 appearances for Philly. Somebody please fill me in, I recall he started the year on the bench. 

Than again -- Bekker. Maybe I answered my own question?

He's beeen injured for large stretches this season.

Here's the thing:  CB is the one position that we have some relative depth at (Edgar, Henry, Jakovic, Ledgerwood, Hainault, etc....), so the addition of another depth CB such as Vitoria doesn't get me super excited.  Another offensive player would, but I have no idea who that could be.

No, we have different priorities. Some people only want to win, some people want to cheer for a team that means something.

Perhaps the truth/reality lies somewhere in the middle.

Your sort have been deluded by the actions of Jonathan de Guzman, Teal Bunbury and the so called Whore. We all have to a certain degree, but you guys have a tougher time moving on from it. The rest of us appear to place a greater emphasis on winning, but I believe that's because we see winning as the best way to raise the profile of the team we love. We believe winning is a means to an end and are not obsessed just the winning itself (although winning is great).

On the other hand, I have read different renditions of the following comment by you and your sort: "i'd rather lose with a team that means something than a team that doesn't". Which I interpret as "I want to cheer for a team of committed players than a team made up of players with shoddy commitment levels". Of course this is a noble stance and the rest of us (I believe) want the same thing, it's just that most of us give our players the benefit of the doubt, and equate putting on the maple leaf with being committed. We use the logic that if one decides to play he is committed and if one stops playing he no longer is (Cavallini), which is a fair approach.  

For us, the reason a player decides to commit is less important. Whether playing for Canada is a second choice for someone (De Jong or Johnson), a genuine dream someone has always had (Dwayne de Rosario) or someone eligible for multiple teams just loves the game of soccer and wants to get playing time because his club has lost faith in him and is keeping him off the field - and choses us over another national team to do so (Hoilett), as long as they are committed and advancing us forward and taking the responsibility that comes with wearing our jersey seriously, they have my support.

Besides.... speculating on player motivations requires one to make a lot of assumptions....and you know what they say about making assumptions :)

Vitoria is a prime example of our eurosnobbery-infused inferiority complex.  He is exceptionally average as an MLS starter on one of the worst teams in the league.  Before he got injured, Philadelphia was a shambles of a team with him marshalling the defence and only started playing better during his injury.  He has done nothing exceptional this year (despite his price tag), however because he played in Europe there will be a certain section of this fanbase that will call for his inclusion at all costs.  He is not a starter with our best team.  He is a possible inclusion in the 23 man roster, but I'd prefer to keep those spots for players that are proud of being Canadian.

Fully agree. Is Vitoria even better than a guy like Lefevre?

Just asked Larson to clarify if the additional surprise was aird or if he expected 1 more. He said the surprise is on top of aird and hoilett. 

I'm not expecting anything earth shattering but hopefully it is a player that can push for a starting spot and not just depth. 

So if he decides to play for us is he suddenly proud of being Canadian in your opinion? Furthermore, will you consider Aird proud of being Canadian the moment that he plays for us? Moreover, do you consider Akindele a proud Canadian now that he plays for us.

Not defending Vitoria or eurosnobs, just interested in what your opinion is. Since you prefer to keep those spots for players who are proud to be Canadian, i'd like to know how you differentiate between who is a proud Canadian and who is not.

Please feel free to use Vitoria, Arid and Akindele as examples, i'll be waiting :)

Archived