But wait, there's more...

lazlo_80

Your sort have been deluded by the actions of Jonathan de Guzman, Teal Bunbury and the so called Whore. We all have to a certain degree, but you guys have a tougher time moving on from it. The rest of us appear to place a greater emphasis on winning, but I believe that's because we see winning as the best way to raise the profile of the team we love. We believe winning is a means to an end and are not obsessed just the winning itself (although winning is great).

Some of us are fine with Jono. (I am.) As for Teal, his sin was a different one: he is an American, by any reasonable definition. He has every right to be prouder of the United States than Canada, to play with the American national team. But he took our resources under false pretenses, and lied to us. That's not about national pride and loving the Maple Leaf, that's about being an honest person.

Now, Hargreaves I am bitter over. But it's odd to hear that I haven't "moved on" when you're the one bringing him up. Dignity and national pride were not invented in response to Owen Hargreaves being a dick, and the idea that sports should be about more than victory is unfashionable, but by God it isn't new.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some of us are fine with Jono. (I am.) As for Teal, his sin was a different one: he is an American, by any reasonable definition. He has every right to be prouder of the United States than Canada, to play with the American national team. But he took our resources under false pretenses, and lied to us. That's not about national pride and loving the Maple Leaf, that's about being an honest person.

Now, Hargreaves I am bitter over. But it's odd to hear that I haven't "moved on" when you're the one bringing him up. Dignity and national pride were not invented in response to Owen Hargreaves being a dick, and the idea that sports should be about more than victory is unfashionable, but by God it isn't new.

My biggest issue with Jono is that he wore the Canada jacket before declaring for Netherlands.  I get that he was supporting his brother, I just thought it was sort of braindead on his part to think it wouldn't mean anything to thousands of canadian fans.  As for Teal, and Hargreaves, yes I'm bitter for the same reasons Bob is bitter, and yes I do think it has trickled into my opinions on Junior unfortunately.  I'll try to moderate that approach, but still wish the timing was a little better, and Junior was joining us on the top of his game.  

I just don't care what these people do anymore.

The one exception is utilizing resources in our youth programs that could have given an opportunity to someone else.

The only thing that matters to me these days is having fun with the eclectic, crazy bunch of soccer nerds that make up this group. 

Win or lose, that's worth more than any of this.

I just don't care what these people do anymore.

The one exception is utilizing resources in our youth programs that could have given an opportunity to someone else.

The only thing that matters to me these days is having fun with the eclectic, crazy bunch of soccer nerds that make up this group. 

Win or lose, that's worth more than any of this.

I don't think there's much debate over that. We're all going to be embarrassing ourselves in front of 500 viewers on Telelatino in as many games as we can.

So if he decides to play for us is he suddenly proud of being Canadian in your opinion? Furthermore, will you consider Aird proud of being Canadian the moment that he plays for us? Moreover, do you consider Akindele a proud Canadian now that he plays for us.

Not defending Vitoria or eurosnobs, just interested in what your opinion is. Since you prefer to keep those spots for players who are proud to be Canadian, i'd like to know how you differentiate between who is a proud Canadian and who is not.

Please feel free to use Vitoria, Arid and Akindele as examples, i'll be waiting :)

Dammit.  I guess I need to stop posting after a bottle of wine so that I don't have to defend things in the cold light of day.

Answers to your questions:

1) No.  Any notion of being a proud Canadian is pure pandering on his part.

2) Different situation.  There's a difference between making that decision as a 20 year old than as a 28 year old.  Each year that goes by after the age of 20 loses my respect more and more.

3) Similar answer to 2 as it is a different situation with his legitimate dual citizenship.  He legitimately had a choice to make having grown up in the US.

My viewpoint is pretty simple:  I'm against courting anyone to play for Canada.  It shouldn't have to take our soccer association begging on its knees to play for our national team.  I could be swayed for someone who might be a true difference maker, but that person has yet to materialize.  I would much prefer guys who want to wear the maple leaf sitting on our bunch rather than a bunch of mercenaries that have run out of options.

What I am adamantly against is the assumption that many people make on here that someone who speaks with an accent or has European experience is automatically better than the guys who currently play for us.  Vitoria is not heads above what we currently have so why kill ourselves trying to bring him into the fold?  Ouimette has almost played as much as he has this year and for a much better team and is five years younger.

"Now, Hargreaves I am bitter over. But it's odd to hear that I haven't "moved on" 

Is it?

:) 

Regardless, all I know is that it is an honor to cheer and support all the men who wear our jersey and fight for the maple leaf. It doesn't matter if they are a starter or a sub, everyone is important and I will cheer for them all equally as they strive to take Canadian Soccer to new heights - no matter how they came to wear our colours!

Just asked Larson to clarify if the additional surprise was aird or if he expected 1 more. He said the surprise is on top of aird and hoilett. 

I'm not expecting anything earth shattering but hopefully it is a player that can push for a starting spot and not just depth. 

Wow, up until this post I just assumed it was Aird. I'll guess Lefevre, nothing earth shattering but would definitely add depth. 

Dammit.  I guess I need to stop posting after a bottle of wine so that I don't have to defend things in the cold light of day.

Celebrated Junior's commitment a little too hard yesterday?  ;)

1) No.  Any notion of being a proud Canadian is pure pandering on his part.

2) Different situation.  There's a difference between making that decision as a 20 year old than as a 28 year old.  Each year that goes by after the age of 20 loses my respect more and more.

3) Similar answer to 2 as it is a different situation with his legitimate dual citizenship.  He legitimately had a choice to make having grown up in the US.

Thank you for answering all 3 of those questions very directly. I like your answers to 2 and 3 in particular, you were really able to give me a clear answer and not dance around the question. Nice!

You know, It's pretty cool how you can actually see through Vitoria's facade, even before he has had the chance to practice it on us. How did you do that? I guess the key is to just assume as much as you can about his values and character without knowing him personally. It also probably helps to assume he can't possibly be proud to be both Portuguese and Canadian. The concept of simultaneously identifying with two nationalities just doesn't make a whole lot of sense.....does it?

I'm still not quite sure if I am doing this right, so I am just going to sit here and keep thinking back to the U-20 World Cup. If I try extra hard, I am sure I will start to feel personally insulted at his decision to play for Portugal in no time!

Archived