Great Issey Article from 4-4-2

masster

Great point by Issey regarding the Americans-as-domestics issue. I know many folks here believe that many Canadians on Canadian MLS clubs simply aren't good enough to play in MLS but I agree with Issey 100% 

“Canada playing in Major League Soccer is supposed to help Canada develop their football and the local players. The one thing the authorities screwed up is on the issue on foreign players,” he said.

“MLS said to Canada that Americans could play in Canadian teams and be considered as local players whereas Canadians playing in America are foreign players. Who agreed to this? I got fired from the local Canadian team in favour of an Argentinean.

“While I understand it’s business, the whole point is to develop the players and not to exploit the city, like MLS exploiting rich Toronto. The point they said to develop young players did not materialise because you exploit the city by having Michael Bradley. The Americans play for a Canadian team while the locals sit on the bench, which makes you think ‘Why bother?’”

Edited by shermanator

• 2 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

When he says he was "fired from the local Canadian team in favour of an Argentinean" he is talking about him time in Montreal and being replaced by Romero or Piatti. Romero won the MVP award for Montreal that year and Piatti is miles better than him. If he was replaced by someone like Duka his quote would have been more credible. Issey is the same calibre player as Duka, but Duka was brought in because he was with Klopas in Chicago.

1 hour ago, farrelld said:

When he says he was "fired from the local Canadian team in favour of an Argentinean" he is talking about him time in Montreal and being replaced by Romero or Piatti. Romero won the MVP award for Montreal that year and Piatti is miles better than him. If he was replaced by someone like Duka his quote would have been more credible. Issey is the same calibre player as Duka, but Duka was brought in because he was with Klopas in Chicago.

Duka was not as good as Piatti or Romero but still a lot better player than Issey. We miss Duka this year. Issey was a real borderline MLS player especially since he was so weak defensively. 

22 hours ago, Grizzly said:

Duka was not as good as Piatti or Romero but still a lot better player than Issey. We miss Duka this year. Issey was a real borderline MLS player especially since he was so weak defensively. 

I don't think we miss Duka. He was very inconsistent and rarely had a solid 90 min. I'll always remember his brace against Pachuca but besides that he did nothing else special. We did offer him a contract for this year though, but he wanted to look elsewhere.

IMO Romero's injury has been a bigger loss for us this year.

Romero has been a lot more inconsistent than Duka. At his best Romero is better than Duka but in his off games he is really terrible. Still it would be good if he would return before the end of the season. Duka is a lot better player than Shipp who has taken over his role at the club. He is also better than either Ontivero or Venegas who have both disappointed. I would like us to get rid of those two and get an upgrade in the midfield and hopefully a real number 10. I am not saying we should try to get Duka back but he is a lot better mediocre MLS midfielder than the mediocre midfielders we have replaced him with and a lot better than Issey was. Still we need an upgrade in midfield particularly in the attack to a non-mediocre attacking midfielder who can distribute the ball, maintain possession and give the DMids a better option to pass to. Our DMids are not as bad as people think they are just lacking a central attacking midfielder to control the game ahead of them. What the Impact need is a good number 10 and a better CB partner for Ciman.

• 1 month later...

Looks like Issey could be leaving Malaysia soon as Terengganu are currently last in the Malaysian Super League with one matchday left (bottom two clubs drop from the 12-team league). They could theoretically still finish as high as 8th with a win as five different teams at the bottom of the table have 19-21 points. Terengganu plays their last game of the season on October 22nd, against fellow relegation candidates Pahang, so they stand a reasonable chance of staying up if they win, although they have the worst GD in the league. They are completely boned if they lose or draw however.

Issey currently leads Terengganu in league scoring with 7 goals, compared to 9 last season (soccerway says he's played 17 out of 21 league games this season, no data for 2015 though).

Didn't Issey say in an interview that he was unhappy with management at Terengganu and was planning to leave at the end of the season anyway? It would be nice to see him playing in Canada again. He seems like he could be a great fit with Ottawa, he's that dynamic, ball-at-feet type attacking player Paul Dalglish likes.

http://footballmalaysia.com/portal/index.php/league/super-league/

http://footballmalaysia.com/portal/index.php/super-league/

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...